Anyone using Skype?

Rap1978

Sep 10, 2008
Hi, first post here...what an amazing forum with so much information. I'm interested to know if anyone is familiar with Skype. I live in the U.S. and wanted to know if anyone uses it and has any problems. I've been to their website and from what I understand as long as both people communicating have Skype there is no cost. If I were to use it and call a landline or mobile phone in the DR there would be a cost.

Any input would be great!

~Becky~

whirleybird

Silver
Feb 27, 2006
Hi, first post here...what an amazing forum with so much information. I'm interested to know if anyone is familiar with Skype. I live in the U.S. and wanted to know if anyone uses it and has any problems. I've been to their website and from what I understand as long as both people communicating have Skype there is no cost. If I were to use it and call a landline or mobile phone in the DR there would be a cost.

~Becky~

We rely a lot on Skype for our communication with the outside world. Obviously, as you say, you can talk Skype to Skype with another computer user as long as they also have the programme downloaded and have a microphone and speakers or relevant alternatives. We also have a Skype In number so people can call us from any phones or computer and a SkypeOut account so we can call regular phones too - the call costs are low with Skype.

You should be able to check call costs on the Skype website.

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com

~Becky~

Welcome to DR1! :) I live in the DR & use Skype mainly for calls to UK - as Whirleybird says, it is low cost from computer to a landline. Not had any problems so far.

mike l

Silver
Sep 4, 2007
Skype is great, unless you are a chatter box, like myself! Connection fees add up !

There are other options depending on what your needs are such as majicjack.com or other voip options.

Many people respond to my ad for work at home employment and they say I have Skype. I tell them that's great but there is a connection fee and a per minute fee.

Depending on how many calls you plan on making should determinte your carrier.

Bottom line is.......keep your options open and investigate before you...$r Bate!

Last edited:

CyaBye3015

Bronze
Jan 8, 2003
I use Skype often to talk with my friends in the DR, no cost computer to computer, but calling cell phones is a bit pricey.

The Virginian

Bronze
Mar 16, 2007
We use Skype to call the kids in the States and in England. We call PC to PC, there is no charge. When we call PC to land line it is .021 per minute, pretty cheap. We have had some issues with it, and are currently having one now. Seems they can only hear the first 2 words we speak then they can not hear us. When we start to talk again, again, they can only hear the first 2 words. We've had this problem before and it seems to go away after a few weeks and return to normal. All in all we like Skype. It is difficult to get Skype support.

Rap1978

Sep 10, 2008
This questions is for someone familiar with the Internet Centers.

Okay, here's the situation. While on vacation in the DR, my daughter met a guy (surprise-surprise). My Verizon cell phone bill was a little over $100.00 more than usual. I immediately added the International Plan. She not only talks to him but met a couple others and she talks and text messages them too. The guy she fell in "like" with doesn't have a computer and goes to the computer center to email her. Needless to say, he doesn't speak English and to hear them have a conversation is comical to say the least. Do the computer centers use Skype? Why do some say it can be pricey calling mobile phones?

solisdad2000

Aug 31, 2005
I use Skype for pleasure. The service is useless for business but not because Skype is bad - it's because the bandwidth the service provider (Claro Codetel) gives me in Constanza is awful! The connection quality is also bad so I expect o lose my connection at least 3 times per call.

However, to answer the question about "computer centres", aka cyber cafes. My experience is that they do not have Skype. Most individual drop-in users wouldn't be familiar with Skype and using it is made more difficult as I think Skype has no Spanish version(?). (Yes, I know it's easy anyway - but possibly not if you've never used it and there are no Spanish instructions.)

However, if you were dialling a non-Skyped PC from the USA, it may becheap and probably cheaper to buy a cheap phone card and dial phone to phone (it should make no difference if it's landline or mobile at either end). Check the prices before buying the card. I don't believe Skype can beat phonecards - though it might be different in the USA.

The expense of using Skype to a Mobile Phone can arise because there are sometimes different rates for calling landlines or mobile phones. When there are different rates, calls to mobile phones are always the most expensive!

And sorry to add it but I can't help thinking - if your daughter has a PC/Laptop and the boy (or boys?) here doesn't, they're in different economic brackets so be careful - the odds are stacked against this being an affair of the heart (for the Dominicano) - the opportunity to escape to greener pastures will be a massive temptation. Most important question is probably - how many children has he with how many girlfriends! More than 1, walk away!

Good luck!

Bryanell

Bronze
Aug 9, 2005
I use Skype extensively for private and business overseas calls from the DR and have not experienced more than one or two Skype-related issues.

Like others here the majority of problems I have had have been line quality related to Internet provider issues. Quality at "off-peak" times is much better.

Skype-user to Skype-user (PC to PC) quality is very good, PC to landline in most cases good and very economic, PC to mobiles is relatively expensive but still less expensive in many case than international calls from landline to mobiles.

El Viejo

Jan 2, 2002
I use Skype for pleasure. The service is useless for business but not because Skype is bad - it's because the bandwidth the service provider (Claro Codetel) gives me in Constanza is awful! The connection quality is also bad so I expect o lose my connection at least 3 times per call.

However, to answer the question about "computer centres", aka cyber cafes. My experience is that they do not have Skype. Most individual drop-in users wouldn't be familiar with Skype and using it is made more difficult as I think Skype has no Spanish version(?). (Yes, I know it's easy anyway - but possibly not if you've never used it and there are no Spanish instructions.)
However, if you were dialling a non-Skyped PC from the USA, it may becheap and probably cheaper to buy a cheap phone card and dial phone to phone (it should make no difference if it's landline or mobile at either end). Check the prices before buying the card. I don't believe Skype can beat phonecards - though it might be different in the USA.

The expense of using Skype to a Mobile Phone can arise because there are sometimes different rates for calling landlines or mobile phones. When there are different rates, calls to mobile phones are always the most expensive!

And sorry to add it but I can't help thinking - if your daughter has a PC/Laptop and the boy (or boys?) here doesn't, they're in different economic brackets so be careful - the odds are stacked against this being an affair of the heart (for the Dominicano) - the opportunity to escape to greener pastures will be a massive temptation. Most important question is probably - how many children has he with how many girlfriends! More than 1, walk away!

Good luck!

You can easily change Skype to Spanish just click Tools. Options, General Settings, Use drop down menu to change the language.