Want to buy a newer(used) motorcycle/scooter...Help

wilywes

Feb 4, 2008
I am looking to buy a good used bike/scooter/pasola for getting around pop. Something newer. I know often many foreigners will come and buy a scooter or bike for 3-4 months then need to sell it. I have been shopping around lately for "new" but thought i would put this post up and see what comes of it. The bikes I have been looking at are the yamaha-ybr125 and the Honda Super Cub as well as some similar chino models. If you know of anything in this range,style,type for good value please let me know.

corsair74

Bronze
Jul 3, 2006
I have a scooter here in the states. The best advice I can give you is to stay away from the Chinese copies. They're all over the place and much cheaper than the Hondas and Yamahas. But nowhere near as reliable.

Hondas and Yamahas take a beating and keep going. And it's easier to find Yamaha and Honda parts here in the States. I assume that it's the same in the DR.

I have a Piaggio, but I haven't seen a Vespa/Piaggio dealership in the DR. So I'd go with the Yamaha. I've only experience with the 50cc Zuma. But this is one of the most durable scooters around, and the only reason I didn't buy one here in the states is because I wanted a 150cc 4-stroke. And the Zuma is only a two stroke, which means less power and fuel efficiency. But it's large wheels and strong chassis make it perfect for those bad DR roads.

Yeah. Definitely go with a trusted brand like Yamaha or Honda.

Vince.

corsair74

Bronze
Jul 3, 2006
Wow! A new Zuma!

I see now that Yamaha makes the Zuma in a 150cc 4 stroke. If I'd known this was going to happen, I wouldn't have bought my Piaggio.

If you can find one of these used and at a good price, it's probably going to be the best deal going.

Vince.

AlaninDR

Mr. Chunky Skin
Dec 17, 2002
Do the environment and the general public a favor and stay away from the two stroke engines.

Alexwo1

Mar 2, 2008
Hey, ive been looking for a motorcycle or scooter type thing as well. I dont know a whole lot, but for around 30,000 peso you can get a new motorcycle. Not a Yamaha but still a 4 stroker. for about 15000 peso you can buy a used something too. I want to stay away from 2 strokes. Im not sure how much Yamaha bikes are around here, anyone know?

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
chinese bikes are everywhere and cheap. You can get a new chinese bike from 26k - 36 k pesos. Even if they are not reliable as hondas and yamahas, they are like 3 times cheaper, their parts are sold everywhere and the mechanical labor is dirt cheap. A honda and yamaha new bike sells for way over 100K pesos. I say you are already paying for 3 bikes up front in return for better quality. The chinese models are becoming increasingly popular and people are buying them like hot bread in DR. Their parts are cheap and the labor is a joke. I say, stick to chinese models if you are will to spend less money.
AZB

DRob

Gold
Aug 15, 2007
chinese bikes are everywhere and cheap. You can get a new chinese bike from 26k - 36 k pesos. Even if they are not reliable as hondas and yamahas, they are like 3 times cheaper, their parts are sold everywhere and the mechanical labor is dirt cheap. A honda and yamaha new bike sells for way over 100K pesos. I say you are already paying for 3 bikes up front in return for better quality. The chinese models are becoming increasingly popular and people are buying them like hot bread in DR. Their parts are cheap and the labor is a joke. I say, stick to chinese models if you are will to spend less money.
AZB

That might make sense if you're in a big city with plenty of repair options, or a part-time resident with plenty of other types of transportation available, but the last thing someone needs is to get stuck out in the middle of nowhere when one of those things decides to break down.

I'm all about reliability for personal use, and agree with Corsair.

Here's an alternative: buy three cheap bikes, rent them to motos, and take the income and buy a car. :glasses:

DRob

corsair74

Bronze
Jul 3, 2006
I guess that I'm a huge believer in paying for quality. I don't understand why anyone would buy a cheap bike that's going to be constantly breaking down.

Just spend a little more money and get something that you will spend more time riding than fixing.

And DRob is right. Cheap is good, until you break down in the middle of nowhere and have to walk. Been there, done that. Now I just invest in better quality vehicles.

Vince.

wilywes

Feb 4, 2008
That might make sense if you're in a big city with plenty of repair options, or a part-time resident with plenty of other types of transportation available, but the last thing someone needs is to get stuck out in the middle of nowhere when one of those things decides to break down.

I'm all about reliability for personal use, and agree with Corsair.

Here's an alternative: buy three cheap bikes, rent them to motos, and take the income and buy a car. :glasses:

DRob

Is this something you have personal expirience with? Or just an idea?

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
Two strokes make more power than 4 strokes, but the torque is higher in the power band. Additionally, properly maintained modern 2-strokes are NOT the polluters as in the past, especially new. Not clean, mind you, but not the smoke belching beasts of the past. They are popular because they are cheaper, MUCH easier to maintain (although a shorter life), and have more oomph than a 4-stroke. When you're talking 50-125cc's, more oomph is big. Their price/performance ratio is high, just as the Honda/Yam/Suzuki price/quality ratio is high.

The quality gap between the modern Chinese knock-offs and the Konda/Yam/Suzuki lines is closing quickly. Honda/Yam/Suzuki are having to find cheaper manufacturing methids to compete, and the knock-offs are getting much better quality from their parts. 3-5 years ago the quality gap and parts availability was large. Today, not so much.

That said, the Honda Cub 50/70/90 series, yes, those ugly utiltarian motos in dull colors, are the largest mass-produced vehicles in the history of the world. THEY are the ones you see, beat to crap, and still ticking. You cannot go wrong with those.

wilywes

Feb 4, 2008
Two strokes make more power than 4 strokes, but the torque is higher in the power band. Additionally, properly maintained modern 2-strokes are NOT the polluters as in the past, especially new. Not clean, mind you, but not the smoke belching beasts of the past. They are popular because they are cheaper, MUCH easier to maintain (although a shorter life), and have more oomph than a 4-stroke. When you're talking 50-125cc's, more oomph is big. Their price/performance ratio is high, just as the Honda/Yam/Suzuki price/quality ratio is high.

The quality gap between the modern Chinese knock-offs and the Konda/Yam/Suzuki lines is closing quickly. Honda/Yam/Suzuki are having to find cheaper manufacturing methids to compete, and the knock-offs are getting much better quality from their parts. 3-5 years ago the quality gap and parts availability was large. Today, not so much.

That said, the Honda Cub 50/70/90 series, yes, those ugly utiltarian motos in dull colors, are the largest mass-produced vehicles in the history of the world. THEY are the ones you see, beat to crap, and still ticking. You cannot go wrong with those.

Thanks everyone for your advice. Without sounding rude im not looking for advice as to what type of bike i should buy but rather if anyone knows of something used for sale that is of good quality. Thankyou for trying to be helpful, but, i do know enough about bikes to make a educated decision as to what type of bike i will buy. I just want to find something used for a decent price in or around the North Coast. Any Ideas??

hammerdown

Bronze
Apr 29, 2005
go to Playero in Sosua, and look at the board just outside the exit, there usually are a lot of used bikes advertised for sale there, and in Cabarete, Albertico's and Janets have the same sort of ads....good luck
Hammerdown

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
Who said Chinese bikes are breaking down left and right? I do not see single owners of these bikes complaining. the bike repair shops are all around the corner of any barrio in DR. Chinese bikes are not as bad as you guys think.
AZB