Dangerous Dog

Nikki Simon

Nov 10, 2002
A friend of mine has asked me whether there is a 'Dangerous Dogs Act' and if so, what does it encompass?

Thanks

bienamor

Kansas redneck an proud of it
Apr 23, 2004
Lunch

A friend of mine has asked me whether there is a 'Dangerous Dogs Act' and if so, what does it encompass?

Thanks

Depends if your on the wrong side of the fence up on somebody elses roof. could mean lunch for the dog.

Castellamonte

Bronze
Mar 3, 2005
Cabrera
www.villa-castellamonte.com

Thanks

I'm unsure of a specific law in this respect but I have heard that if a dog consistently attacks others, unprovoked and outside of the property where the dog is supposed to live, that the local judge can order the dog put down. I believe if there are three or more reports on this type of behavior then the dog is at risk.

trabajadora

Aug 29, 2007
Speaking of dangerous dogs..... The other day as I was walking my dangerous dog (always on a leash I might add), I was informed by a construction worker in the neighborhood that my dog was dangerous (like I don't know that already; that's why I have him). I let him know that my dog is only dangerous if you get too close to me and I let him get away from me, or you come into my home uninvited (ladrone). Otherwise, he's a sweet, loving dog. :cheeky:

ffritz

Feb 7, 2008
www.gymbar.blogspot.com
Don't start me on the dog problem!

Where I live in Costambar we have 2 mad old spinsters who between them have at the last count 14 dogs in their condos. Yes CONDOS!!!!!

They never have them on leashes when they walk them.

The Magistrate has ordered one of them to keep her dogs on leashes when they are outside the condo - of course the mad old bat hasn't complied. We are collating evidence of the infringements of the Magistrates' Order & then going for Round 2 at the Fiscal. Hopefully this will set a precedent that will eanble all those who are fed up of IRRESPONSIBLE dog owners to enable them to walk the streets without being in fear of "stray" dogs.

trabajadora

Aug 29, 2007
I don't blame you one bit fritz for being angry. I hope something happens to make her do what's for the safety of everyone else. That's exactly why I always have my dog on a leash. I don't ever want to be responsible for him hurting someone else. And it ****es me off big time every day when I'm trying to peacefully walk my dog and there are all these other dogs just running loose around here. They're not all stray dogs either. Some of them are well taken care of dogs owned by people in the neighborhood but they don't see it as a problem to just let them run around loose everywhere. My dog happens to be aggressive towards other dogs (again, that's why he's always on a leash under my control) so when we encounter another dog, it's always a tug of war to keep my dog from going after the other dogs.

One month ago while walking my dog, another dog had gotten out of his yard and he ran up to my dog and jumped on him. I was pulling with all my strength to get them apart but my dog wasn't taking no shyte and he attacked back by flipping the other dog on his back, grabbing him by the throat and biting him so hard the other dog was ****ing all over the place. I almost had a heart attack but eventually the other dog got loose from my dogs grip and took off back to his yard. But even now, if I go past that house, that other dog trys to jump the wall to get out again and attack my dog again. Man, just trying to take a little walk.....

ffritz

Feb 7, 2008
www.gymbar.blogspot.com
I carry mace with me all the time. It's only RD$390 from Jose Luis supermarket & works a treat on dogs & is much more humane than a stick or golf club (as favoured by the snow-birds round these parts).

trabajadora

Aug 29, 2007
I carry mace with me all the time. It's only RD$390 from Jose Luis supermarket & works a treat on dogs & is much more humane than a stick or golf club (as favoured by the snow-birds round these parts).

Really? I didn't know about this. Is it called Mace or something else? I need to get over there quick (to Jose Luis). Even today, I started down the front steps with my dog and when I got to the bottom and looked to my left, there were two huge dogs hanging around at the corner (two houses over). I didn't feel like going through a big thing with them and my dog so I just waited a while until they moved on. And even then, I was too spooked to take my dog any further than the corner so I just kept walking him up and back a few times to give him some exercise in front of our house. This is ridiculous! I need the Mace so I can get my confidence back before my poor pooch ends up FAT!

J D Sauser

Silver
Nov 20, 2004
www.hispanosuizainvest.com
Pepper sprays may prove ineffective or even counter productive on drunks and assailants which are high on drugs and some other nut cases!

A dangerous looking dog, properly trained and on a leash, may convince potential purps not to try to approach you at all. Haitians as well as Dominicans have some preconceived fears of some dog races, especially and interestingly Boxers seem to look incredibly dangerous to them... but sure, Rottweilers and Pitbulls are recognized as potentially dangerous in general... so are German Shepards.

Coming back to the OP's initial question, I have only heard of some European countries of having implemented a "dangerous dog act". In some of them, some dog races are categorized as a "weapon" and to be able to own or keep one, one has to apply almost like for a gun permit.
I have never heard that this would be the case here in the DR, and if it was, it doesn't seem like anybody cares.
But then again, not having heard anything is not a precise statement.

Owner's liabillity seems also to be a somewhat "obscure" issue here, based on occasional reports even on this very Forum.

... J-D.

Squat

Tropical geek in Las Terrenas
Jan 1, 2002
This thread reminds me of the fact that Las Terrenas has too many of those dangerous dogs... Sometimes they hang out at the beach, with or without owner... I wish there was some type of control, but I know it won't happen...

Celt202

Gold
May 22, 2004
I bought some "Policia Francesa" several months ago. I have to rotate the top to get it to spray and that doesn't always work. When it works it sends out a wide spray for about 2 to 3 feet. One time I unloaded a spray in the face of a dog who was threatening my dog and it had NO effect.

I can't recommend it. It's an inferior product . I want to find a product that works on dogs and that is effective up to about six feet or so.

I carry small rocks. A rock tossed in the direction of a dog making threatening noises or poses sends 90% of them running. A rock tossed firmly in the flank of a threatening dog who isn't intimidated by that is the next step.

I also carry the wooden handle from a plunger which has been effective with moderately threatening dogs. Smacking it on the ground or even lightly tapping the nose of a semi threatening dog discourages many. I want to replace that with about a 12" hard club as soon as I locate a good self defense shop in Santo Domingo.

I carry the stick in a tote bag. I carry plastic bags to clean up my hound's masterpieces, a towel to dry him off in case it rains and a small bowl in case we go for a long walk and he gets thirsty.

I carry a pocket knife but I've never had to use it. My dog has actually been attacked several times and he was so fierce that the other dogs went running.

Walking a dog in the DR, like so many things in this strange place, has a definite "Through the Looking Glass" dimension to it.

My dog's walkies are great for his mental and physical health. He's a healthy happy little beastie who makes me laugh every day. :D

My pooch is a terrier mix. His appearance and behavior remind me of a Rough Coat Jack Russell but his mother lives outside the house of a familly that feeds her. She is on good terms with a large number of male dogs so who knows who his father is.

Many people show fear when we are near them. The cultural fear of dogs isn't just with the big breeds.

Many people ask me if he bites.

My answers run something like this:

To students: "He only bites students." Nervous laughter

To women: "He only bites women who can't smile." A big smile.

To anyone: "Only if he has a reason."

The little kids in my apartment complex love him but I always keep him under close control around kids. The very little kids have a natural tendency to tease dogs and terriers won't put up with that much.

I'm always telling the little kids that the friendliest dog in the world can bite at any time so you have to treat a dog with respect. Their parents love to hear that but often I can see that the kids don't really understand but maybe a seed has been planted.

Reactions: Rocky

jrhartley

Gold
Sep 10, 2008
isnt there a danger with this spray that it could blow back onto yourself if you are not careful about whether you are upwind or downwind

ffritz

Feb 7, 2008
www.gymbar.blogspot.com
isnt there a danger with this spray that it could blow back onto yourself if you are not careful about whether you are upwind or downwind

Yes it does spray back & you do have to be careful - usually I end up having a sneezing fit after spraying it lol.

I've been considering using a water pistol filled with 151 Dominican gasoline as an alternative, more easily delivered deterrant. I'll let you know how it works if I can ever find a water pistol ....

Eddy

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
This thread reminds me of the fact that Las Terrenas has too many of those dangerous dogs... Sometimes they hang out at the beach, with or without owner... I wish there was some type of control, but I know it won't happen...
Hamburger and trespasito. And don't start with the poor animal, it's the fault of the owner BS.

acmike

Jan 11, 2005
Pepper works on dogs

Pepper is the substance that works on dogs. Mace won't affect them because dogs have no tear ducts which is why it works on humans.

trabajadora

Aug 29, 2007
Thanks for the tip about the "Gaz aerosol de defense"; it sounds like a good idea, but then like has been stated, there's always the chance of blowback. That's all I need, a coughing fit while under attack.

To anyone looking for a water pistol, I found one at Playero a couple of weeks ago and I filled it with water and a lot of vinegar. Went out for a walk with my dog and ended up with that crap dripping all over my hand, down my arm and I smelled so bad I probably chased all the other dogs away (lol). So that didn't really work out too well.

In the past I've taken walks while carrying a Louisville Slugger baseball bat (autographed by my hometown team). It got so heavy it took the fun of the walk away. And lastly, I've tried walking with this tall walking stick I bought years ago in Montego Bay, Jamaica. The handle has a carved face in it; so scary it scared my dog!

Once while out for a walk on a day when it looked like rain was coming, I took along an umbrella just in case. I was confronted by a huge dog and he and my dog started with the growling, barking, etc. Before anything happened, I smacked that huge dog in the face with my umbrella. He didn't run away but it was just enough to keep him off while I dragged my dog's leash with all my might moving him further and further away from the other dog. Then I stamped my feet and cracked the umbrella a couple of times on the ground while continuing to move away and the other dog finally retreated back in the other direction.

So as you can see, I'm still experimenting but lately we've just been walking in a little circle very close to home..... just in case. It's sad because lately I can tell my dog is more anxious. I'm sure it's because he needs more exercise than what he's getting. And on that note, it's time to take him outside for a few minutes before it gets too late.

I welcome any more suggestions on how to deal with these dangerous, roaming dogs.

Eddy

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
I'm surprised no one has mentioned "bending down to pretend to pick up a rock" Try it you might be surprised at the dog's reaction". Old dominican trick.