Results 1 to 7 of 7

Thread: labor law: Commission Chargebacks

  1. #1
    Silver
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Posts
    2,472
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default labor law: Commission Chargebacks

    I have a group of employees complaining to the labor board because of the following situation:

    They make sales based on a subscription service, the deal is that they get an upfont commission with a chargeback period of 6 months. (If the customer cancels the service within six months we withhold a similar commission from future payment to compensate)

    They claim that I cannot assess chargebacks like that but I have heard various things from different lawyers, I am prety sure that all call centers do this, its a central part of many programs, the commission is there to incent the agent to sell, and the chargeback is there to incent the agent to provide quality sales.

  2. #2
    DR1
    Join Date
    Jan 1999
    Posts
    24,705
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MrMike View Post
    I have a group of employees complaining to the labor board because of the following situation:

    They make sales based on a subscription service, the deal is that they get an upfont commission with a chargeback period of 6 months. (If the customer cancels the service within six months we withhold a similar commission from future payment to compensate)

    They claim that I cannot assess chargebacks like that but I have heard various things from different lawyers, I am prety sure that all call centers do this, its a central part of many programs, the commission is there to incent the agent to sell, and the chargeback is there to incent the agent to provide quality sales.
    Do you want RD$100 cash today or a RD$500 check tomorrow? I'll take the check!

    The problem is Mike, your dealing with the dark ages here.

    I guarantee you that 95% of Dominicans have no idea what a charge back is or what it relates to. Most have never been exposed to these types of transactions, hence the ignorance. My guess is that your better off keeping it KISS.

    Pay lower commissions and build the charge back rate into your numbers.
    Or pay an additional commission once the customer had surpassed the 6 month mark.

    What happens if someones makes 50 sales, get's paid and then leaves.
    Who absorbs any future charge backs on those sales?

  3. #3
    Silver
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Posts
    2,472
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Robert View Post

    Pay lower commissions and build the charge back rate into your numbers.
    Or pay an additional commission once the customer had surpassed the 6 month mark.
    Good idea but we are talking about 3 years of history that some agents are threatening to sue me for. if I lower the commissions now, I am sure they would sue me for that as well. If I withhold a portion for 6 months, I am sure they would sue for that as well.

    Quote Originally Posted by Robert View Post
    What happens if someones makes 50 sales, get's paid and then leaves.
    Who absorbs any future charge backs on those sales?
    Well I do. The amount of comission that the agent receives is symbolic compared to what the compay earns. (still significant to the agent, of course) The main reason I have applied chargebacks is to instill in long term employees anunderstanding of the need to follow up on customers and provide quality sales that will stick.

    When peope leave, I dont much care what they do.

  4. #4
    DR1
    Join Date
    Jan 1999
    Posts
    24,705
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Do employees have a contract that they have signed that specifically states how the charge backs will be handled? I hope so!

    You know what most employees are like here, they will sue if they smell a sniff of money, even if it causes the business to close down. Even worse when a few get together and have that "pact" mentality.

  5. #5
    Silver
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Posts
    2,472
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Their contract says that there are various commissions and incentives that are subject to change and modiication. Since we dont plan to only ever have one campaign, we thought we should leave it open like that.

    My lawyers tell me they believe our position is defendable, since we can prove that we were deducted the money ourselves.

    So I am settling in for the long haul, it will be interesting to see how it comes out.

  6. #6
    .............. ?
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Posts
    4,332
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Hey honey keep us posted on the outcome! I am sure I am not the only one interested.

  7. #7
    Silver
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Posts
    2,472
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    So far no one has sued me, but I have also suspended chargebacks temporarily in my company since we temporarily switched from warm leads to cold calling, sales are a lot harder to make and I think that for the moment chargebacks would be more discouraging than it is worth to teach the lesson.

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •