Info for friends of expat assistant manager of Iberostar Hotel, Costa Dorada

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
I'm not sure of the correct spelling of this gentleman's name - he is Serbian, I believe, referred to as both Dejan Gruvanov (or in El Nacional Sejan Gorvanov). I think he is the Night Manager at Iberostar, Costa Dorada.

Looks like he was more or less ambushed on Thursday night on his way to work by four armed men near the hotel Camino del Sol in Cabarete. He was hit, robbed of his vehicle, RD$3000 and personal documents and left in a partially constructed home near the carretera Cabrera-R?o San Juan at Cabrera suffering from a fractured collar bone and broken ribs. His cries for help were heard by a local man who assisted him. He was given first aid in a Cabrera clinic and then taken to Cl?nica Doctor Gregorio Hern?ndez, in Puerto Plata.

More details here:
Las Ciudades - Raptan hotelero y le roban yipeta

La PN informa golpean y quitan yipeta a ejecutivo hotelero en PP - Hoy Digital

El Nacional, la voz de todos

Please note this info comes from newspaper reports but there are enough of them to at least believe that something happened & I thought his friends who might not know would like to check on him & see if he needs any assistance.

trabajadora

Aug 29, 2007
This is terrible news! I don't know this gentleman but I will put him in my prayers for a full recovery. I don't read spanish very well so thank you for the post.

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com

J D Sauser

Silver
Nov 20, 2004
www.hispanosuizainvest.com
Photograph and more info here:
Puerto Plata Digital

Puerto Plata Digital says he is the assistant Director of the hotel. He apparently had surgery to remove the bullet & appears to be in stable condition.

If you're having problems with the translation, trabajadora, use this:
Yahoo! UK & Ireland Babel Fish - Online Translator | Free Translation

It certainly isn't going to be wonderful for tourism (!) unless an 'explanation' surfaces.

Well, Iberostar is certainly not going to make it a big story at their orientation chats for newly arrived tourists.
I am not sure if we can feel content or regretful, but I don't even know if we can expect it to make the Spanish news... as the victim is said to be from "Yugoslavia", which is not an accurate geopolitical description anymore either... but then... if it makes the news somewhere in the ex-Yugoslavian region... they are not really the ones which make an important share of tourists to the Caribbean. On one side we all certainly hope the best for this country's tourist industry but on the other hand, if the government and authorities don't find themselves forced to act decisively to halt the increase of crime, that very industry may very well be at risk eventually.

As the victim got shot multiple times and survived it, it proves several points: We are still seeing an augmentation of crime executed by non-professional delinquents which nevertheless don't shy off acting in a very brutal and live defying manner... drugs come again to mind.

I think that unless, there was an underlining story the explanation may be simple... like the RAV4 is a quite popular vehicle around here, and parts are easy to find buyers for?

... J-D.

quaqualita

Feb 4, 2002
I heard that last night 2 Dominicans have been killed by the police between Cabarete and Sabaneta. Apparently this 2 guys were very well known drug dealers in the Cabarete area and have been involved in robberies before and also stole a Jeep lately, so very possible the same guys that robbed the hotel manager?

I have no source / link, that's just the word on the streets, so let's see if this gets officially confirmed.

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
so very possible the same guys that robbed the hotel manager?

Yep, according to El Nuevo Norte
El Nuevo Norte > Inicio

They've killed two of the manager's assailants and 'invited' the other 2 to give themselves up. Gotta love this bit 'En declaraciones ofrecidas por el ingeniero Rafael Arturo Calder?n Efres, General de brigada P.N. dijo que esto es un mensaje claro a la delincuencia y a?adi? que la polic?a esta trabajando de forma preventiva' (emboldening mine).

Yes, I'm sure you could say the police are working in a preventative manner :cheeky: - prevention of overcowding in police station jail, prevention of unnecessary paperwork, prevention of temptation for the judiciary etc etc :rolleyes:

La Mariposa

Bronze
Jun 4, 2004
Yep, according to El Nuevo Norte
El Nuevo Norte > Inicio

They've killed two of the manager's assailants and 'invited' the other 2 to give themselves up. Gotta love this bit 'En declaraciones ofrecidas por el ingeniero Rafael Arturo Calder?n Efres, General de brigada P.N. dijo que esto es un mensaje claro a la delincuencia y a?adi? que la polic?a esta trabajando de forma preventiva' (emboldening mine).

Yes, I'm sure you could say the police are working in a preventative manner :cheeky: - prevention of overcowding in police station jail, prevention of unnecessary paperwork, prevention of temptation for the judiciary etc etc :rolleyes:

You have never been robbed at gun point in the D.R. , have you??
Well I have, not in a low barrio and at 4 in the afternoon. 4 years later we (husband and wife) still have nightmares so we sold and left the D.R.

Let the police works in all preventative mannerssssssssss

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
You have never been robbed at gun point in the D.R. , have you??
Well I have, not in a low barrio and at 4 in the afternoon. 4 years later we (husband and wife) still have nightmares so we sold and left the D.R.

Let the police works in all preventative mannerssssssssss

No I haven't, as yet, I haven't been robbed at gun point anywhere in the world. I have been robbed at knifepoint but that was in Turkey many moons ago. I must have been lucky - the trauma lasted about a week on a conscious level, maybe a little longer unconsciously, I wouldn't really have a way of knowing. I have been shot at, from a distance (in Africa, not the DR) again many years ago. Clearly they missed. I shot back - I probably missed too.

I'm certainly not one to jump on a soapbox to defend the rights of ladrones and I don't have too many moral dilemmas about the police taking out a few bad guys. BUT...........I would ask how effective it is in reducing crime in the DR? Doesn't seem to be working so far. A few dead ladrones seem to be replaced by new recruits. And then there is always the problem of the police taking out whom they choose without benefit of judicial hearing, when the ones 'chosen' may have been chosen for an entirely different reason (i.e. rival drug gang). So extra-judicial killings by police are not entirely problem free, it seems to me.

I do however understand why victims of gun crime would support this type of approach. And I hope you're doing well in your new location, La Mariposa.

It was SPAM, has been removed elsewhere and we aren't going to give them a platform here either... Sorry to spoil your joke - LOL. Gregg - Mod.

Is this spam or an offer of ammunition?

Last edited by a moderator:

La Mariposa

Bronze
Jun 4, 2004
''...........''

I do however understand why victims of gun crime would support this type of approach. And I hope you're doing well in your new location, La Mariposa.

Yes, thank you, we are doing fine at last. We sleep well at night and are playing golf almost every day.

Status
Not open for further replies.