Bus service Boca Chica - Santo Domingo

AK74

On Vacation!
Jun 18, 2007
Dear all!

A person needs to be on business in Santo-Domingo but wants to live in Boca Chica and to go to SD every day. Is it practically feasable?

He does not want to risk driving and wants to use a bus. Is there any regular bus service between SD and BC?
Schedule if possible? From where and to where?

Will appreciate an insight.

Tante grazie!

jrzyguy

Bronze
May 5, 2004
yes...there is excellent bus service between B.C. and Santo Domingo. Last time i was there it was about 40 pesos.

As far as schedule...the schedule is very dominican. You take the guagua for free from boca chica...at the highway you have to transfer. The guaguas usually dont leave until they are full. Try to take an express bus if you can. But that doesnt guarantee it willl run express.

Reactions: rellosk

AK74

On Vacation!
Jun 18, 2007
yes...there is excellent bus service between B.C. and Santo Domingo. Last time i was there it was about 40 pesos.

As far as schedule...the schedule is very dominican. You take the guagua for free from boca chica...at the highway you have to transfer. The guaguas usually dont leave until they are full. Try to take an express bus if you can. But that doesnt guarantee it willl run express.

Thank you!

And from SD? Where does the bus leave from in SD? And how often ?

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
..........He does not want to risk driving and wants to use a bus.............

If your friend will have a car the drive from BC to SD is fairly easy and safe provided he will leave SD in plenty of time to be in BC before dark. If not, the guagua/mini-bus is a good second choice.

Where is SD will your friend be working?

AK74

On Vacation!
Jun 18, 2007
If your friend will have a car the drive from BC to SD is fairly easy and safe provided he will leave SD in plenty of time to be in BC before dark. If not, the guagua/mini-bus is a good second choice.

Cesar Nicolas Penson 102-A

AK74

On Vacation!
Jun 18, 2007

No. He drinks. All good people drink. For this reason they are good.

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
No. He drinks. All good people drink. For this reason they are good.
LOL, That is why I don't drive at night.

Cesar Nicolas Penson 102-A
Well his best bet is to take the guagua/mini-bus to SD and a taxi to his job. I would think the total cost each way would be about 200 pesos. Total travel time each way is about an hour.

jrzyguy

Bronze
May 5, 2004
200 pesos...each way?!

Perhaps for the first day or week or so. But once this person gets to know his way around he can use the publicos in the capital for 5 pesos. You just have to know where you are going, speak some spanish and not mind being jammed in the back seat with 4 other people.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Are you sure, jrzyguy? It's been a while since I used a carro p?blico, but 5 pesos sounds very low to me.

jrzyguy

Bronze
May 5, 2004
Are you sure, jrzyguy? It's been a while since I used a carro p?blico, but 5 pesos sounds very low to me.

It was about 2 years ago when i last used one. Perhaps it was 20 pesos. I get confused. But it was really really cheap and definitely not the 100-200 pesos that the regular taxis were charging. it was NOT comfortable tho. But neither are the subways in nyc at rush hour.

I swear tho the publicos were either 5 or ten pesos. (at the time).

NotLurking

Bronze
Jul 21, 2003
Sto Dgo Este
It was about 2 years ago when i last used one. Perhaps it was 20 pesos. I get confused. But it was really really cheap and definitely not the 100-200 pesos that the regular taxis were charging. it was NOT comfortable tho. But neither are the subways in nyc at rush hour.

I swear tho the publicos were either 5 or ten pesos. (at the time).

Publicos cost 10-15 pesos. Most publicos charge 15 pesos but if you give them anything in between 10-15 pesos they'll take it, of course with the usual moaning and complaining.

BTW you can certainly get from Boca Chica to Parque Independencia for under 100 pesos and Cesar Nicolas Penson is not far from there.

NotLurking

jrzyguy

Bronze
May 5, 2004
not sure where Cesar Nicolas Pension is. BUt yes...the bus from Boca CHica to Parque Indepencia was about 40 pesos in february. Nice guaguas too. AC and good music.

NotLurking

Bronze
Jul 21, 2003
Sto Dgo Este
not sure where Cesar Nicolas Pension is. BUt yes...the bus from Boca CHica to Parque Indepencia was about 40 pesos in february. Nice guaguas too. AC and good music.

Cesar Nicolas Penson runs parallel to Ave. Bolivar from Julio Verde (parallel to 30 Marzo) to Pedro Enriquez Ure?as. Cesar Nicolas Penson is in between Ave. 27 de Febrero and Ave. Bolivar about 2 city blocks from Ave. Bolivar.

Since a picture is worth more than 1000 words....

NotLurking

AK74

On Vacation!
Jun 18, 2007
Cesar Nicolas Penson runs parallel to Ave. Bolivar from Julio Verde (parallel to 30 Marzo) to Pedro Enriquez Ure?as. Cesar Nicolas Penson is in between Ave. 27 de Febrero and Ave. Bolivar about 2 city blocks from Ave. Bolivar.

Since a picture is worth more than 1000 words....

NotLurking

Picture speaks better than words, true!

Thank you for assistance and inlook!

Thank you all other participants too!

jrzyguy

Bronze
May 5, 2004
very cool! (sorry i didnt know the name of the street). But for real This should be a very easy and affordable commute for your friend.

to answer the other question. THe guagua is free from boca chica to the bus station on the highway. They run very frequently (perhaps every ten mins or so). from there the busses pretty much leave when all or most of the seats are taken. On the return from Santo Domingo...look for the guagua that runs express. It is not REALLY express but it does skip over many locations and cuts the trip to about 30 mins max. (depending on traffic lol).

AK74

On Vacation!
Jun 18, 2007
very cool! (sorry i didnt know the name of the street). But for real This should be a very easy and affordable commute for your friend.

to answer the other question. THe guagua is free from boca chica to the bus station on the highway. They run very frequently (perhaps every ten mins or so). from there the busses pretty much leave when all or most of the seats are taken. On the return from Santo Domingo...look for the guagua that runs express. It is not REALLY express but it does skip over many locations and cuts the trip to about 30 mins max. (depending on traffic lol).

Thank you!
I think I will do the trip with him first couple of times to make sure he is not lost. Too many beautiful ladies in Santo Domingo! Too many tentations a resister!

Feb 7, 2007
He can take a guagua from BC to SD - Parque Enriquillo.

He walks down a block to Ave Mexico, flags down a publico that goes (most of them) to Parque Indipendencia, gets off at Isla gas station (about 1 block north of Bolivar) --Julio Verne w/ Pellerano ---as per map--- and walks the two-block distance.

On return, from the same Isla area takes the publico car towards "La veinty-cinco" gets off on Mexico w/ Duarte, walks up the block to Parque enriquillo, hops on a guagua to BC.

olddog

Jul 14, 2006
AK 74...

Beautiful!!!! Frank Sinatra once said he felt sorry for teetotalers because when they get up in the morning they know that's the best they will feel all day!!!

Ol' Phil

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
You might want to find out what is the nearest cross street on Cesar Nicolas Penson is your friend's job. That will probably make a difference of what to do once you get to Santo Domingo. I stayed at Carrie House Hotel on Cesar Nicolas Penson whose address was 12-A and located near Doctor Delgado. I have no clue how the street numbering system works in the DR.

If you can locate a street map of Santo Domingo by Mapas Garr would be very helpful. I know they sell them at some of the little gift shops on El Conde. I don't recall the price but it was pretty cheap.