Question... Before i get too excited

TruMusicFan

Sep 20, 2008
Im slow, im young and dumb also, im moving to the Dominican Republic in less than a year to study spanish.... Does 9,000 RD really convert to less than $300 USD? because im looking online for apartments and I see ads in English for rentals in USD for $700+ but I see ads like this
Dominican Rentals | alquilo linda casa

for a 2 bedroom in Santo Domingo for 9,000 RD, im wonder if even aftering converting the money if that would equal less than $300 USD, and if it would be better to wait here first, and rent an apartment once my money is converted?

Thanks

-Bruce

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
Yes RD$9000 really converts to less than US$300 (current exchange approx RD$35=US$1). But you would need one of the Santo Domingo people to tell you about the location of the apartment and you would need to enquire if it has furniture.

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
I.........Does 9,000 RD really convert to less than $300 USD? because im looking online for apartments and I see ads in English for rentals in USD for $700+ but I see ads like this..........for a 2 bedroom in Santo Domingo for 9,000 RD,...............

Your conversion is correct and the 9,000 RD is probably correct for the apartment rental also. The big difference in the apartment price rental is the location. Santo Domingo is huge. The apartment for 9,000 RD is on the other side of the river and not in "Ciudad Centro". The location is probably NOT where you would want to live.

To live in a decent area with constant electricity, hot water, on a paved road in Santo Domingo "Ciudad Centro" you will be very, very lucky to find a one bedroom apartment for $500 USD. You should also search supercasas.com for Santo Domingo, District National.

Try doing a google search for Mapas Gaar. They have an excellent map of Santo Domingo which will help in your apartment search.

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
The apartment is in Alma Rosa I, not the best part of town. Then again, many "so called" bad parts of the city have pockets of good areas.

To truly know, you need to go and see it and see the surrounding area.
That price is a "internet" price, I'm sure you could negotiate that lower as a local.

Charlielyn

Bronze
Jul 31, 2005
Looks like the apt is unfurnished. Are you staying a year? If not rents are usually higher if not a year lease. You would need to buy a stove, fridge, furniture, pay electricity, gas, water, cable on top.

You may need a furnished apt instead. They cost more.

mark21

Feb 12, 2008
Bruce and DR1

I'm looking for apartment too. Maybe for November for 5 to 12months, -if I will like DR.
The Apartment must be basic, with clean water, but safe for gringo/newbe.
Do you recommend furnish or non furnish apartment.
Maybe, I should look into a larger 2 bed rooms apartment in tall and secure buildings with parking. And than share it with some one to save money?
I know SD, Juan Dolio, Bavaro Samana and Central area.
I visited DR 11 times in the last 16 months, so I'm not totally grean.

Waiting for your input "DR1 old coconuts" :)

J

joerusso

Im slow, im young and dumb also, im moving to the Dominican Republic in less than a year to study spanish.... Does 9,000 RD really convert to less than $300 USD? because im looking online for apartments and I see ads in English for rentals in USD for $700+ but I see ads like this
Dominican Rentals | alquilo linda casa

for a 2 bedroom in Santo Domingo for 9,000 RD, im wonder if even aftering converting the money if that would equal less than $300 USD, and if it would be better to wait here first, and rent an apartment once my money is converted?

Thanks

-Bruce

Don't sweat it! You can get a very nice apartment for 9,000 peso's, just look. also, find a person that speaks Spanish to help you and let them do the deal for you. When they see us Gringo's here, they will make you pay an arm and a leg for anything they can get from you. My wife is Dominican, believe me! I step aside whenever we need anything, even shopping for a Microwave :)

OR, make it clear that you do not have money!! and bargain with them right from the start, let them know!! My wife was a past real estate agent, if your going to be in the Santo Domingo area in the capital, let me know. I'll have her call her friend and see if she can help you. Good Luck..Joe