Going to Puerto Plata

Status
Not open for further replies.

Missskitttin

Sep 18, 2008
We are visiting in October but after reading some of the posts here, Im getting a little nervous. Should we hire some kind of bodyguard? Do they even have those? Gosh I hear of people getting shot at, kidnapped, robbed... What is the real 411 on this?

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
No you don't need a bodyguard. I've lived in Puerto Plata nearly 16 years and never had one. You just need common sense & not to wear too much jewellery or have wads of money visible. If walking, walk purposefully. Your biggest risk in PP is that someone will come up & try to sell you something. That's it!

There might have been something behind the attack on the Manager but we don't know. And we're not going to speculate.

bklynromanticguy

Feb 17, 2007
hi miss kitten before i went the first time about 4 years ago i was the same i heard so many things and storys and wherever i went and i did i was looking behind me but nothing at all happend to me and i didnt see anything should happen to ppl so i went back many time since and i feel the same safe as i feel here in NY and iam also going agein in 3 weeks for another trip 12 days so trust me no need to worry just have a great time

Bob K

Silver
Aug 16, 2004
Actually having grown up in the New York area and going to school there (Columbia) I was more frightened there then I am here. Here use normal precautions and you will be fine. Also do not listen to the hotel reps when they tell you not to leave the restort. Leave the resort and do some exploring

Bob K

Reactions: Bronxboy

Bronxboy

Jul 11, 2007
Actually having grown up in the New York area and going to school there (Columbia) I was more frightened there then I am here. Here use normal precautions and you will be fine. Also do not listen to the hotel reps when they tell you not to leave the restort. Leave the resort and do some exploring

Bob K

Excellent advice.

Spicedwine

Apr 25, 2006
All excellent advice. If you wouldn't do something where you live why would you think about doing it here!!!!! Stuff happens all over the world, and depending on what you are listening to or watching or reading depends on what you see and hear. If you happened to be travelling to Cuba as an example only I am sure you would be doing research on that country and would find things that might make you ask what am I going there for??
Come and visit our lovely island and be sensible and you will have a fabulous time.

Alexwo1

Mar 2, 2008
Puerto Plata is not a problem. I never feel as if I am in some type of danger. Dominicans are actually very friendly people. I walk all over the city and no one ever gives me a problem. The only problems i ever hear about-are problems with motoconchos. If you stay away from them i think youll be 100%. Also, if you act like a chump get treated like one. Thats true everywhere.

jackquontee

May 20, 2005
Predators search out prey......

the weak, the ill, and the injured. Act weak, ill, or injured, and they will pounce, just as they do the world over. Carry yourself with confidence, or as if you might be a bit crazy yourself, and they will look for weaker prey.

BTW, I've been to the barrios (ghettos),and have never had a problem. Come on down and have some fun.

FernieBee

Bronze
Feb 20, 2008
BTW, I've been to the barrios (ghettos),and have never had a problem. Come on down and have some fun.
This past June, I spent about 30 minutes walking around Los Charamicos, mostly due to the fact I took a wrong turn and got a little lost. Nevertheless, although I found myself in and around some seedy-looking places and individuals, nothing bad happened to me. After about 20 minutes of walking around the place, I finally stopped and asked two ladies for directions back to the beach. They were nice enough to point me in the right direction. About 10 minutes later, I was enjoying a beer at the Scandinavian Bar.

The point of all this is, if you look like you're not an easy target and walk with confidence, both of which I did, then you should be fine. I guess it also helps if, such as me, you look a little crazy.

281zdxz.jpg

:ermm:

mancunian

Sep 24, 2008
all great advice. been going to pop for the last 6 yrs..i have had one incident inthem six years with an american gi.. who had a problem with his wife dancing with me..and it was the locals who helped me..great people. as for the motoconcho remark i have never heard or seen any problems and i have been on the back of a few drunk.. get out and explore..

Reactions: FernieBee

nikke

Sep 19, 2005
I visit Puerto Plata frequently and often travel alone to meet friends. I've never had a problem. I hope you enjoy your trip!

Missskitttin

Sep 18, 2008
Wow it sounds better and better each day. I am counting the days. Do you guys live in Puerto Plata or scattered all over the island? where do the expats get together in the cabarete area?

Status
Not open for further replies.