Cabarete Cable

DavidZ

Silver
Aug 29, 2005
www.vipcigartours.com
Anyone with Cable del Norte been experiencing a problem lately? More than half the channels have not been working for the last several days... I wanted to check here and see if it's just my system or more widespread before trying to deal with the CdN office...

Abuela

Bronze
May 13, 2006
We are missing channels too & they have substituted BBC 24hr news for the preferred BBCAmerica.

DavidZ

Silver
Aug 29, 2005
www.vipcigartours.com
We are missing channels too & they have substituted BBC 24hr news for the preferred BBCAmerica.

Yes...I hate when they substitute channels, and I really liked BBC America...although that channel (53) is coming in and out now anyway...basically almost all channels above 50 are not coming in, and several below 50 as well...they "try" to come in but fade right out and I get a no signal message on my tv.

Anyone else experiencing this...or having no problems with their cable here in Cabarete?

Abuela

Bronze
May 13, 2006
Guess you may have an isolated problem.I'm in Cabarete too and just checked those channels coming in steadily. We recently had a shorted out converter box replaced.The old one left false messages of disconnection or poor reception. We decided repeated power outages had probably worn it out!

beeza

Silver
Nov 2, 2006
If it's a recent thing then the chances are you have water in a connector somewhere. With all this recent rain, it gets into even the most watertight connections and attenuates the signal.

I have exactly the same problem with channels circa 50 fuzzing in and out. I know I have a splice connector in my garden where it comes from the street then splits off into the house. If it has rained a lot, I have found that disconnecting the join and drying it out fixes the problem.

I agree with channel 53, why can't they switch it back to BBC America? This BBC news 24 is very repetitive, boring and depressing!

mike.n.amy

Jun 4, 2007
DavidZ:

We've also been having trouble with channels above 50 for at least a week. Last night 57 was scrambled more often than not. I listened to "Family Guy" more than I got to watch it. :( Also, the switch on 53 drives me crazy - I want "Top Gear" back!

Funny we don't really watch TV, but the 2 shows (above) we do watch have been stripped from us. lol

Any updates you get from CdN would be appreciated here!

Thanks,
Amy

DavidZ

Silver
Aug 29, 2005
www.vipcigartours.com
I will be talking to CdN today...will let you know if they have any "constructive" news...definitely seems like a signal strength issue as the channels are there, just not strong enough for full picture and sound...probably a line amplifier down somewhere...

And funny you mention Topgear as the show you miss...that's my favorite as well! Although even when BBC-A was on, I was frustrated that you never knew whether there'd be a new episode on Monday or not, so I wound up downloading most episodes...

You can download full episode torrents of TG...and just about very other show on TV at:

www.eztv.it

mike.n.amy

Jun 4, 2007
Sweet! Thanks, David! I'll check out the torrent site above and appreciate the heads up. I know what you mean....we'd check it out Monday's and have repeats many a time....better than nothing, I guess! ;)

mambodog

Feb 29, 2008

I cannot beleive that you miss BBC America, which just showed constant repetitions of the worst, cheapest and oldest programmes from the real UK BBC!

The worst recent loss is that of PBS on channel 17. I have been into the Sosua office to complain. I have been told that this is the best thing to do if you want a chance of restoring any disappeared channel.

Abuela

Bronze
May 13, 2006
Whoa,guess you don't enjoy antique shopping,home decor or well done British drama or a good laugh, too bad for you. Some of us have eclectic tastes and enjoy something other than bland cable sitcoms or reality shows for a change. PBS is good too but please don't discount the value of BBC America from the other side of the pond.

mambodog

Feb 29, 2008
Whoa,guess you don't enjoy antique shopping,home decor or well done British drama or a good laugh, too bad for you. Some of us have eclectic tastes and enjoy something other than bland cable sitcoms or reality shows for a change. PBS is good too but please don't discount the value of BBC America from the other side of the pond.

You are absolutely right, Abuela, that I don't like antique shopping and home decor programmes. But, like you, I think I have eclectic tastes, and I do like well done drama and a good laugh.

My problems with BBC America are

1. That I have seen many of the programmes before years ago in the UK, and
2. Whenever I watch it, it has the bland sitcoms (Couplings etc) and the reality shows to which you say it provides an alternative. The BBC does produce a much wider range of programmes and I am sorry not to have seen them represented over here.

Perhaps I will appreciate it more if I tune at different times of the day, and when I have been here longer?

Meanwhile, it is still definitely not in my own list of channels which I regret losing most as a result of the latest shenanigans by our local cable provider