Our Lady of Mercedes

paradise07

Jan 6, 2007
Hi there...

Just wondering about this holiday tomorrow....What type of businesses will be closed ? Banks, grocery store, etc....I have a clothing store that I just opened, should I be closed as well ???

In Canada, there are some holidays that it is illegal to be open...Just wondering what the "proper" thing to do is....

Thanks !

planner

.............. ?
Sep 23, 2002
All gov't office will be closed, banks etc. Some grocery stores will open till either 12 or 1pm. Other stores may be open 1/2 day but they generally stay closed.

Bars are open for business as usual....

If your staff work you pay double time unless you are in tourism, then I believe it is different.

suarezn

Gold
Feb 3, 2002
...and in my hometown of La Mata (Cotui) there will be huge parties as this is our patron saints...so this week is Patronales. Wish I was there...

whirleybird

Silver
Feb 27, 2006
Oh, we were planning on going to Santiago tomorrow primarily to collect new spectacles from the opticians and then a household/ food shopping expedition.. would we be better off postponing it until another day?

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Food stores will be open, optical stores will be closed.

Our Lady of Mercy is one of the major religious holidays, much observed.

Be careful on the highway between Santiago and La Vega, lots of people walking up to Santo Cerro to honor pledges to the Virgin... Tonight will see more of them...

Last holiday until Nov 10, Constitution Day.

HB

whirleybird

Silver
Feb 27, 2006

Be careful on the highway between Santiago and La Vega, lots of people walking up to Santo Cerro to honor pledges to the Virgin... Tonight will see more of them...

HB

Thanks HB - you have saved us a wasted trip and especially as Charlie is not exactly fit to make unnecessary journeys at the moment. Not wishing to doubt what Planner said but is it certain that the Government buildings are also closed as I know a friend is planning a trip to Sto. Domingo to do residency?

RHM

Doctor of Diplomacy
Sep 23, 2002
www.thecandidacy.com

HB

And there will be lots of rain to accompany us on our day off.

Oh well, you can't have everything.

RHM