considering a move to DR - lots of questions!!!!

bostianfamily

Sep 18, 2008
First of all, how much is life affected by fear these days? It's been years since I was there. For a professional job, how much would be a fair salary in US$ or RD$? How much does it cost to care for a family with kids in the DR? Do most folks have housekeeping help? Can an American teenager who just got his license in USA, have any independence at all, or will he be unsafe on his own? Private schools, which ones would be best for kids who were in really great American schools? How often do the neighborhoods lose power these days?
How dependable is the internet in most homes? How quickly can you get medical care when you need it? We know the joy, the happy spirits, the kindnesses and laid back style of life there, now, can you help us figure out the details? Thanks to all who help!

whirleybird

Silver
Feb 27, 2006
First of all, how much is life affected by fear these days? It's been years since I was there. For a professional job, how much would be a fair salary in US$ or RD$? How much does it cost to care for a family with kids in the DR? Do most folks have housekeeping help? Can an American teenager who just got his license in USA, have any independence at all, or will he be unsafe on his own? Private schools, which ones would be best for kids who were in really great American schools? How often do the neighborhoods lose power these days?
How dependable is the internet in most homes? How quickly can you get medical care when you need it? We know the joy, the happy spirits, the kindnesses and laid back style of life there, now, can you help us figure out the details? Thanks to all who help!

The answers you are seeking from your questions will mostly vary quite drastically depending on which part of the DR you move to.... if you can give suggested locations you will then get a better response from experienced people in specific areas.

bostianfamily

Sep 18, 2008
Good point! Santo Domingo is where we'd be living and working.. All thoughts and advice are welcome and appreciated!

Matilda

RIP Lindsay
Sep 13, 2006

1. No more fear here than anywhere else. Just be sensible where you go and how you dress and have reasonable security on your home

2. Depends who you work for. If an American company probably the same as in the Us, for a Dominican company significantly less. I have friends working for US companies in the Free Zones and they earn the same as in US plus free housing and expense allowance

3. If he is sensible would be fine but driving here is crazy

4. Depends on the neighbourhood. I live 45 mins from the capital in Juan Dolio and power rarely goes out. In the areas where it does most people are prepared with inversors or generators

5. There are excellent schools in the capital

6. My internet (Verizon) is pretty reliable and fast

7. Medical care, especially in the capital is fine. Plaza de la Salud is excellent. Do not rely on ambulances though. You need to have your own transport.

8. A lot do have domestic help. I do but not as I really need it but it helps one local family and of course it is nice not to have to clean every day!!!

The main problems I would say are communication if you do not speak spanish, the corruption in all walks of life, getting a good job done - in the house, on your car, being ripped off as a foreigner, the non availability of certain foods and items, the poor quality of items you buy here (can any one tell me where to get a tin (can in american) opener which lasts more than a week?), the frustrating justice system, the total flooding when it rains.

But it is still a fab place all in all! Hope that helps.

Matilda

Reactions: Rocky

bostianfamily

Sep 18, 2008
Thanks Matilda! I will show my ignorance, what are the free zones? You gave me a lot of good information, thanks!

mike l

Silver
Sep 4, 2007
Free zones are like Industrial parks with massive office space but on a military looking compound like Gomer Pyle.

They offer tax breaks for business.

Last edited:

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
"Don't Come!!!!!!!"

You obviously have little to no idea of what life here is like!
You and your family will be on-your-own!
If you don't have a "Professional Job" already contracted you will not find one when you get here! Are you fully bilengual? A must for ANY kind of job a "foreigner" might find. Do you have at least $3000 US income stream per month in place?
Do you know that $1000 US amonth is a FANTASTIC salary for a Dominican "Lifestyle" here? Do you know how MOST Dominicans live?
How many times have you been here,and for how long ?
Have you thought about what the US/Worldwide economic recession will mean in the DR?
How many kids? How old?
Contact "Hillbilly" he is FAR wiserthan I,and he may have the patience needed to steer you in the right direction.
LOVE Cris
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

Reactions: Rocky

bostianfamily

Sep 18, 2008
thanks everyone! Criss- Dont come?? Why not?? Missing the point on that one, sorry!!! Yes, lots to learn but I have lots to learn before every trip and every life change. Ok, answers to some of your questions...

Yes, the adults speak spanish, and the kids have had years of it in school (probably means that they don't even know how to find a toilet in espanol :) Living it is much better than just reading it!! We know that from our own travels in Latin America!
As far as work, We already have secured jobs, just wondering what a professional average salary looks like as we are still sorting out the details. Can't quite think in pesos yet.. My husband lived in the DR for years.. He adores the country, the people and the life.. Just trying to update the perspective..Respectfully, I think we may have some idea of the life there - but we do need to get current in our thinking.. Criss -you make some great points- NO! I hadn't thought of how the US economy would affect the DR.. Yes, we understand the dominican lifestyle requires very litle compared to Americans'. One of the things my husband fell in love with - the simplicity and joy of life lived without the starbucks and 5 different sports channels on the tv!!! We have 3 kids, teenagers. Well.. thanks for everything everyone.. Anymore thoughts, I welcome..

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
One of the things my husband fell in love with - the simplicity and joy of life lived without the starbucks and 5 different sports channels on the tv!!!

The 'simplicity & joy' has taken a bit of a knocking in recent years & that is maybe what Criss Colon is referring to. We've been her 16 years & have noticed the changes. The simplicity & joy for many Dominicans has now become tinged with desperation as they try to eke out a living. They see more investment being made into the DR but it isn't filtering down to them. So some escape into the world of drugs and ensuing crime.

In the past you had to dig deep to uncover the ills & unhappiness of many people here. Now you don't, in my view. A mere scratch & all is revealed. Of course many foreigners with jobs providing decent salaries can buy a cocoon around them to prevent much of this entering. But that doesn't mean it isn't there.

Some well respected posters on this board who have children have recently moved out of SD for other parts of the DR where they feel happier - see post 4 here for example posted by a lady who is Dominican.
http://www.dr1.com/forums/living/79710-wireless-internet-east-coast-kudos-dr1-mikefisher.html

I'm not saying don't come. I am saying know what you're coming to.

Sanation

May 21, 2007
(can any one tell me where to get a tin (can in american) opener which lasts more than a week?)

Matilda,

We had the same problem - I found a brilliant Can Opener at Casa Cuesta at Bella Vista Mall about 2 months. It wasn't cheap at around RD$500 but it actually opens cans!!!!! ;)

S

bostianfamily

Sep 18, 2008
Lambada-Great points! Definitely appreciate the perspective, and we can imagine that things have evolved to this level. We have so much to think on, pray about and then go from there. All of DR1- We appreciate all your thoughts, your unique perspective and will continue to welcome and eagerly seek your advice! Take care!

Fernandez

Bronze
Jan 4, 2002
Matilda,

We had the same problem - I found a brilliant Can Opener at Casa Cuesta at Bella Vista Mall about 2 months. It wasn't cheap at around RD$500 but it actually opens cans!!!!! ;)

S

My houseboy Julian does fine with his teethpehraps you can find a Julian and it doesn't rust.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
Just Remember That That "Simple Life" Might Mean.....

no access to real medical care for you and your children! Little educational opportunities.
We (Family of 6 plus)spend over $3000 us A MONTH,AND THAT IS WITH NO HOUSE PAYMENT,OR CAR PAYMENT,AND i AM PRETTY "sTREET wISE" !
Will you "Home School"?

Good Luck" and "God Bless"!!!!

Reactions: AK74

AK74

On Vacation!
Jun 18, 2007
Listen to Cris Colon.

The man knows what he is saying and he does not have vested interests.

And yes, third world developping countries usually pay long term for financial calamities in bigger markets.

Reactions: Criss Colon

bachatony1

Aug 8, 2008
My advice

Live on DR1.com. I've been on every day for about two months and have gotten answers to all your questions and some. Use the search tool. Oh, yeah, and don't pay too much attention to the negativity. I know some posters think they are just being realistic and automatically assume that if you are asking you don't know spanish and have never been to a spanish speaking country, but they really don't know yourcircumstances, needs, wants, etc... I've heard people say you need $3000/month to survive in DR and others with family get by on $400-$500/month. Like AZB and Matilda say, Just keep a positive attitude and a sense of humor and you'll be fine in DR.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
Fortunately,When You Ask For Advice About "DR" Living,You Get "Lots"!

Unfortunately,some of that advice is from people who have NEVER actually lived here!(or in the case of "Bachatony",never even BEEN HERE!)
I "could" live in the DR for 4 to 5 hundred dollars a month, but then I would get tired of sleeping in the street,and eating garbage!
Look at the number of "posts" that the people who tell you to just: "Keep a positive attitude and you will be just fine!" have made.
I know that they loved the 7 days at a "North Shore" all inclusive that they actually spent in the DR! They are still in thr DR "Wannabe" phase,you know,"Dominicans are "Poor Humble people,but always "Sooooooo" happy to be living the "simple life" far from the "Rat Race" of where we live"!!!
The reality is that living here is a "Struggle"! A struggle that you and your family might not want to endure!
If you are running "From" something to live in the DR,don't! as opposed to running too the DR because you really want to make a life here,"Come-On-Down"!
Otherwise,it's time for months,if not years,of finding out all you can about "Life" here,BEFORE, you drag a family down here!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

Last edited:

trabajadora

Aug 29, 2007
Please listen to CC; he said it and I could not agree with him more. Take your time, investigate, visit, and investigate more. It's not that easy when you have a family involved; not just yourself. You have teenagers to think about. I'm sure they wouldn't be happy eating garbage and sleeping on a doorstep somewhere but that's exactly what they'll get with $500 or so per month to live on.

bachatony1

Aug 8, 2008
Unfortunately,some of that advice is from people who have NEVER actually lived here!

haha! lol, You got me there Criss. I don't live in DR yet. Just like the OP, I'm looking for info to make that decision soon. Maybe one day I'll be a real boy! (jk) I wasn't offering any opinion, though, as I obviously don't have the experience to do so. I was just relaying what I've heard and read from other expert posters who do live in DR like yourself. There's so many varying views on this subject. You're probably totally right, but if so, I better practice my dumpster diving skills...