Have purchased in La Mulata and need security company recommendations.

Status
Not open for further replies.

divintys

Sep 25, 2008
Hi everybody, my family and i have purchased a house in La Mulata, sosua.
We did not like the idea of a gated community but have had neighbors tell some stories of woe in respect to robberies and such, can anybody reccomend a really trustworthy security compaany and what are the average costs?
Thanks.

b.batista

Feb 21, 2008
Contact Black Wolf security. They are a real security company with international acclaim.

J D Sauser

Silver
Nov 20, 2004
www.hispanosuizainvest.com
Contact Black Wolf security. They are a real security company with international acclaim.

May I ask what you meant to say? Is it an internationally active company (under that name, logo and potentially international leadership or supervision)?
Or do you mean to say that their clientele here in the DR is of multinational origins?

We did not like the idea of a gated community but have had neighbors tell some stories of woe in respect to robberies and such, can anybody reccomend a really trustworthy security compaany and what are the average costs?
Thanks.

I am tempted to question the efficiency of monitored security services in the DR. They are barely efficient in good neighborhoods in the States... do not really work in Spain and here... well, the sole fact that I have not yet heard much of success stories would not mean there aren't any. And it's not to say that I would not contemplate contracting such a service either...

Yet, I think that one can not approach the mater of security here in the DR like one would in a good neighborhood in the States.

• While of limited effectiveness, I still believe that well made and installed (I can show you how) steel bars at ALL windows and doors are a deterrent and also an effective slowing factor with a certain alarm side effect.
  • Also having solid doors all around the property.
  • Hight has also not proven to be a real protecting factor... steel bar protections place in high rises in the major cities will indicate that reports of sporty climbers are to be taken serious. A tiguere in good physical condition will jump a 2 meter fence quite swiftly and also reach a first floor over ground balcony or the roof over ground floor almost with elegance and quite silently.
  • A loud alarm system intelligently installed may have quite some effectiveness, especially if paired with a good group of neighbors willing to "stand" up for each other.
  • Exterior lightning, both, permanent during night time and on sensors too may also help. And paired with a certain routine of leaving the house in a similar lightning state like when inhabited (timers).
  • Keeping a see thru fence instead of hiding in a private "Sing-Sing" may prove life saving, as neighbors and people passing by may see suspicious activity.
  • Finally a good mix of working and dummy cameras can add some deterrence too.
  • And finally, your own ways. Maybe not flashing to much riches, like overly fancy car makes and models, and keeping a healthy private lifestyle which will also include not bringing home half of what crawls around El Batey at night (and day too ;)). Not making enemies too.

... J-D.

Ladybird

Bronze
Dec 15, 2003
dreamteamdownloads1.com
Whichever company you decide to use please ensure you inspect their licence to operate issued by the Armed Forces here, all licences for their firearms, and their RNC number. This is most important. There are now very strong controls on any new security companies starting up and licences are extremely difficult and expensive to obtain. Unfortunately some are operating illegally here on the North Coast and if any of those guards use firearms from a company not legally licensed, with illegal firearms you may well have problems.

CFA123

Silver
May 29, 2004
Thanks.

Hi divintys,
There are several security firms in the area, however I can't make a recommendation.
But, despite what jrhartley says, do listen to your neighbors.

A search of DR1 for 'la mulata' will yield some of the history of the area including the links below. The links span a few years, so check the dates to give you the correct frame of reference. The frequency of problems for the area is alarming in my opinion. Some situations were never reported on here, some perhaps were reported and deleted.
Out of curiousity, who was your realtor & did they have any comments regarding security in La Mulata or other areas during your search process? One would think a reputable realtor would provide that information to help you make an informed decision on where to locate. I think I'd feel as if I'd been lied to by omission if nothing was said.

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
But, despite what jrhartley says, do listen to your neighbors.

Perhaps someone needs to get a little serious on this thread and leave the flippant comments for a while. There are obviously problems in that area, or the problems get better press than other areas.

If I was in the op?s position, I would speak to all my neighbors and find out what is happening in the immediate vicinity and also what they are doing to protect themselves. (It is true that you need to be careful of the neighbors as well, but there are reasonable people living in the area.)

One you get as much information as you can from your neighbors and you know who feels safe and who not, then it is time to think of hardening your own house and property. This may mean lifestyle changes for you.

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
Maybe the flippancy seen on this thread stemmed from the fact that on viewing the original post one might be forgiven for thinking it was a sock or a shill for a certain challenged poster who regularly spams her own security company. Then when she did just that, on this thread (now deleted) probably readers thought their conclusions were correct. This is indeed unfortunate for divintys if he/she is genuine but I can understand people not putting much effort into answering a question if they don't believe it to be genuine.

IF the OP is genuine they might care to read a thread with security tips
http://www.dr1.com/forums/living/56534-how-safer-dr-compilation-tips-dr1-members-14.html

And could I enquire what sort of security checks they made about the area before purchasing the property?

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
To the OP, you've been given the benefit of the doubt and some good advice from some of the respondents to your question.

Thread closed.

Status
Not open for further replies.