senior citizen health insurance

Danny W

Bronze
Mar 1, 2003
I'm a NY resident with a house and family in Sosua. My insurance agent in Sosua, Angie Wolf, tells me that if I want health insurance for myself in the Dominican Republic, I need to obtain the policy before I turn 65 - after that one cannot obtain new health insurance.

I don't know when I will become a resident of the DR, but since I turn 65 this March, I guess I need to get my insurance now even though I'm fully insured in the US.

I'm sure my situation is not unique. How have others handeled this transition?

- D

AK74

On Vacation!
Jun 18, 2007
I'm a NY resident with a house and family in Sosua. My insurance agent in Sosua, Angie Wolf, tells me that if I want health insurance for myself in the Dominican Republic, I need to obtain the policy before I turn 65 - after that one cannot obtain new health insurance.

I don't know when I will become a resident of the DR, but since I turn 65 this March, I guess I need to get my insurance now even though I'm fully insured in the US.

I'm sure my situation is not unique. How have others handeled this transition?

- D

It is very smart of you to ask a question on health insurance and health care in DR in the first place, not on relaxed life style, RE prices and beaches like some other would be relocators do.

Congratulations! You are on the correct track!

There are some American medical after service insurance plans that cover life in other countries as well, at least in my organization. So, talk to your insurance agent.

Being in DR on a permanent basis without a VERY BIG family medical insurance is a serious risk and gambling if not Russian Roulette in my opinion.

bienamor

Kansas redneck an proud of it
Apr 23, 2004
over 62

It is very smart of you to ask a question on health insurance and health care in DR in the first place, not on relaxed life style, RE prices and beaches like some other would be relocators do.

Congratulations! You are on the correct track!

There are some American medical after service insurance plans that cover life in other countries as well, at least in my organization. So, talk to your insurance agent.

Being in DR on a permanent basis without a VERY BIG family medical insurance is a serious risk and gambling if not Russian Roulette in my opinion.

Think 62 is the age, if your over 62 you do have to have a checkup, etc. they may go ahead and cover but will exclude high blood pres,. etc

The Virginian

Bronze
Mar 16, 2007
I found regardless of your age if you apply for Health insurance here (DR) you will be asked to have a check up. The insurance company pays for the checkup. I KNOW you can get health insurance here even if you are over 65. Contact Humano rep Jeannette Ogando Cell 809.757.0851. She also represents other insurance companies and shops around for you. She is a nice lady and knows her stuff. She is in POP.

bienamor

Kansas redneck an proud of it
Apr 23, 2004
getting ins not the problem

I found regardless of your age if you apply for Health insurance here (DR) you will be asked to have a check up. The insurance company pays for the checkup. I KNOW you can get health insurance here even if you are over 65. Contact Humano rep Jeannette Ogando Cell 809.757.0851. She also represents other insurance companies and shops around for you. She is a nice lady and knows her stuff. She is in POP.

I am in that age range, and have Ins through ARS, I also have a letter, that states, that due to some health problems they will not cover charges due to high blood press. problems with the heart, or anything that they can relate to the previous 2 problems. which pretty much means that I dont have Ins,
Which is why I have kept my international Ins in force.

Danny W

Bronze
Mar 1, 2003
I am in that age range, and have Ins through ARS, I also have a letter, that states, that due to some health problems they will not cover charges due to high blood press. problems with the heart, or anything that they can relate to the previous 2 problems. which pretty much means that I dont have Ins,
Which is why I have kept my international Ins in force.

What is your international insurance?

AK74

On Vacation!
Jun 18, 2007
Still carrying my bluecross blueshield from the company I retired from. and it is expensive. but good/

Agree.

One of the best for international coverage. I have BC/BS for many years too. They cover DR excellent. Better than Aethna.

samsbar

Jun 30, 2005
group health ins

There is a group health ins program through banco leon for 500 pesos per month. 100 per cent er coverage plus reduction on md visits tests hosspital room, etc. Reps are at Sam's bar & grill, Puerto Plata at 5 PM and Bieke's Bar, Costambar at 6 PM first Tuesday ea month. More details at Dominican Republic Real Estate / Dominikanische Republik Immobilien, Real Estate and properties for sale in Dominican Republic.
includes dental, can pay xtra for meds. Need 1500 rd for sign up and copy of cedula or passport. Must be under 65 to enroll - no top age limit - no exam. Operates as an HMO. Joanne