Ex-pat community in Santo Domingo

Scoutman

Sep 18, 2008
Hi,

As much as I love everything dominican, I would really love to know where the ex-pat community have a drink or eat in the evenings in santo domingo. Is there a specific bar or zona?

I live just off lincoln as of last week

Please let me know so that I can join in once in a while

Many Thanks

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
Look for threads for "Mi Taverna" using the search function. It's just off of Lincoln near Lopa de Vega and is a popular expat hang out.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Mi Taverna is on Lincoln near the intersection with Lope de Vega. They organise Pakistani, Indian and Thai food nights which are promoted on DR1 and attract a mainly expat crowd.

Sometimes a get-together in a bar/restaurant/private BBQ is organised via DR1 - I'm no longer in the Santo Domingo but remaining capitale?os might decide to do something soon to welcome all the recent arrivals!

Expats of various nationalities might have particular meeting points, sporting/cultural activities or clubs connected to their embassies. It really depends on your interests, age group, etc. Women can join the International Women's Group.

We Brits used to have Coco's, a restaurant in the Colonial Zone, now sadly closed. Other good places for English speakers include the Helen Kellogg Library and the Santo Domingo Little Theatre Group. If you search the forums for previous threads their contact details will come up.

Good luck!

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Another place which could be described as an expat hangout is Belgrado on Sarasota 112, Bella Vista (between Defill? and Nu?ez). They are organising special Oktoberfest themed evenings next week Weds 8th - Sat 11th October from 7:30pm, reservations only, phone: 809 4769431
Cafe Belgrado :: Cafe - Restaurant & Catering

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
elizabetheames.blogspot.com
I went with another ex pat to MiTaverna- braved traffic to get across town (I am in Gazcue) but found a sports bar with loud bachatta... hoping for a coffee house or English pub.... or well,,, makes me long for home.... You might look in the Yahoo groupsfor the Santo Domingo Little Theater.. I suppose that there are as many different types of expats as there are....

sweetdbt

Bronze
Sep 17, 2004
Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm. The name of the place is "Mi Taverna". What a shock that it isn't a coffee shop!
;)

Bryanell

Bronze
Aug 9, 2005
I went with another ex pat to MiTaverna- braved traffic to get across town (I am in Gazcue) but found a sports bar with loud bachatta... hoping for a coffee house or English pub.... or well,,, makes me long for home.... You might look in the Yahoo groupsfor the Santo Domingo Little Theater.. I suppose that there are as many different types of expats as there are....

You might like to try Chalet Suizo on Autopista 30 de Mayo (Malecon) Km 10 it's on the way to Haina just west of Casa de Espana. It's basically a restaurant serving excellent home-style food, a wide range of German and local beers but it has a very "pubby" kind of feel to it. It's fairly quiet during the week (closed Mondays) and has live (easy listening and rock/blues)music most Saturday nights. Many of the regulars are ex-pats of one kind or another, and you'll find me and a friend or three there on Saturday evenings.

Mein Host is Paul Scherer, he has been running this restaurant for something like 30 years (16 years plus in the current location) himself an ex pro musician and a former executive chef as well as being one of the nicest restaurateurs in the city.

Hope you enjoy.
Caution: There is a place called Rancho Suizo close to the Malecon junction with Nunez de Caceres DO NOT confuse the two - they are worlds apart!!

Bryan

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
thanks for the info!

You might like to try Chalet Suizo on Autopista 30 de Mayo (Malecon) Km 10 it's on the way to Haina just west of Casa de Espana. It's basically a restaurant serving excellent home-style food, a wide range of German and local beers but it has a very "pubby" kind of feel to it. It's fairly quiet during the week (closed Mondays) and has live (easy listening and rock/blues)music most Saturday nights. Many of the regulars are ex-pats of one kind or another, and you'll find me and a friend or three there on Saturday evenings.

Mein Host is Paul Scherer, he has been running this restaurant for something like 30 years (16 years plus in the current location) himself an ex pro musician and a former executive chef as well as being one of the nicest restaurateurs in the city.

Hope you enjoy.
Caution: There is a place called Rancho Suizo close to the Malecon junction with Nunez de Caceres DO NOT confuse the two - they are worlds apart!!

Bryan

BLUES? Live MUSIC? be still my heart!! thanks... hope to see you one of these nights---

peep2

Bronze
Oct 24, 2004
Is the S.D. Little Theater still a going concern? What little info I could find out about it was a couple yearsold.

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
Struggling but breathing

Is the S.D. Little Theater still a going concern? What little info I could find out about it was a couple yearsold.

Yup.. if you go to YAHOO under the groups,, you can sign up for our mailing list.. We are struggling along but really WELCOME new comers... It is really 25 years old but that was back when there was no TV, no theater, nothing,,, and folks evidently did not have to work as hard.... now we are really looking for people who would be willing to perform....