help!! delta companion pass info needed.

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
Hello my dear delta experts. I have questions regarding delta companion pass (non rev.).
First of all, my sister in law got a job with delta and will start training from 29th of this month (September). Her husband (my brother) is already a delta employee for many years. Now the question is this: can she put me on her ppr as her travel companion? as her hubby doesn't need her benefits.
now I have done my research into this: seems like the difference between buddy pass and companion pass is the following:
I get to fly S3 and will have 6 S2 benefits. I will pay just a fraction less than buddy pass fares but I will not pay fuel surcharges. I can fly unlimited.
Now here are my other questions:
can i fly the delta code share airlines to fly to regions where delta doesn't fly their own planes? Example : aeromexico within mexico (code share routes), colombia (avianca) in colombian domestic routes, european airlines (code share routes) and continental to EWR from santiago (note: dominican republic related).
Would I have to pay extra for stop overs within my line of route to final destination and back?
Could the merger with northwest will change the rules for us?
Please add what could be beneficial to my knowledge. I know I am not asking all the questions here so please help.

Please folks, these are specific questions targeted towards delta airlines employees or airline employees who have first hand knowledge in this matter. I do not want google researched answers, I have done all my that already. My brother has never asked questions regarding this matter because he never needed to add a companion. It seems his info is very limited.
Thanks in advance.
AZB

dms3611

Bronze
Jan 14, 2002
Aftab, I think I can help!!!!!

I know you only want firsthand experience. However, I don't have any... but I still want to contribute (like many others that fancy themselves to be experts in here)!!!!!

The answer is that everything is possible as long as you get them to go along with it! And the good news is that there is no extra charge for bags...maybe....

Let me know if I can be of further assistance!!!!!

skymall

Feb 11, 2003
Hi... I can offer answer to some of your q's....

She can add you as a companion, and the husband will lose priveleges. If she hasn't already established her ppr, she can just leave the husband off and add you as a companion.

For travel on other airlines, only codeshare flights listed in the Delta schedule are valid for companion travel. Companion travel is not permitted on Continental, other than codeshare flights, and I don't believe we codeshare on the STIEWR route. But, I have heard STIATL will be starting in December; may be just seasonal, though.

You will be charged accordingly for stopovers, but not for connections.

The NW integration has not all been ironed out yet, so right now we don't know what effect it will have on the companion program. My guess would be no effect at all, but all remains to be seen.

If you have any other questions, I'll certainly try to help.

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
hey skymall, thanks for the detailed info. Can you tell me the difference between companion travel policies vs nondependent children policy? children above 23 yrs old who don't depend on the primery employee. The reason I am asking this is because I want to know the difference between the fare to some destination. Here is an example:
atlanta - toronto Rt costs 197 dollars for buddy pass and the nondependent daughter of a delta employee paid 102 dollars RT for the same flight while flying together with the buddy pass rider. So if my companion pass gives me the same rate as the nondependent employee's daughter, I think I will be just fine.
AZB

PS: DMS3611, thanks for your input, I knew I could depend on your sage airline knowledge when the experts fail. I will have a set of more detailed questions for you tomorrow.

ccarabella

Feb 5, 2002
Non dependant children pay only the yield fare and are not eligible for interline travel. The standby priority is S3B unless traveling with the employee. The nonrev guidelines I've read all indicate that the yield fare ticket price should be the same for the companion and the non dependent but remember fares change daily.
I purchased 2 buddy passes for friends 1 week apart to the same destination and the fare was $43 difference. I was given a refund by re-ticketing.
I checked the airlines you mentioned and I dont see that travel companions have benefits. I know that there are a few. Have your sis in law check on the indvidual carrier you are interested in.

Good Luck!

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
Thanks ccarabella, very usefull info. I know I now know what I wanted to know. You have a good point, the fares change daily and depends on destination and routing. The system is not perfect either. The fuel surcharge should be 25 dollars each way on international route (buddy pass) from usa (example atlanta to puerto plata) and if I am going on to bogota from atlanta, I can have a 24 hr stay to catch my next flight (international) and not be charged extra $25 dollars. I was going to stay less than 24 hrs and still I was being charged another extra 25 dollars to go on to bogota. The starting point was pop and final destination was bog.
Anyway, with companion pass, I won't have to worry about the fuel surcharge. Thanks god. :)
AZB

toneloc24

Bronze
Mar 8, 2004
Not an expert, but have some answers to this

We should probably do this offline (PM), but I'll answer a few.

She can add you as her travel companion, but you'd be better off with your brother's seniority. When flying non-rev, priority status and seniority rules the day where seats are available. S3 status is better than buddy passes. If he is allowed a companion pass as an option, do this. Her seniority date (EOD) (09/29/08) will put you way down on any flight list. For instance, trying to get to NYC where many other S3's are trying to fly out, is not fun. Her EOD would essentially put you just over buddy passes. The 6 S2's would be burned early.

The codeshare deal is funny, and depends on the Skyteam partner agreement with that airline. Like, no codesharing nor ID90ing on Avianca. I believe you can on Aeromexico. Continental, no. Other airlines, no. If deal gets approved, yes to all Northwest routes.

You can list for separate legs at your whim. Sometimes I call in to list for a flight, and pay at the ticket counter. Therefore, you won't be penalized for breaking up your routes, nor are you charged a change fees.

The Northwest merger hasn't been finalized yet, but I'm hearing things on how non-rev would be affected. In a nutshell, there will be a much larger list now, as NW employees will now have non-rev access to European and Latin American markets, and Delta employees will now have more non-rev access to Asia. That might get interesting.

PM offline, if anything else.

Hello my dear delta experts. I have questions regarding delta companion pass (non rev.).
First of all, my sister in law got a job with delta and will start training from 29th of this month (September). Her husband (my brother) is already a delta employee for many years. Now the question is this: can she put me on her ppr as her travel companion? as her hubby doesn't need her benefits.
now I have done my research into this: seems like the difference between buddy pass and companion pass is the following:
I get to fly S3 and will have 6 S2 benefits. I will pay just a fraction less than buddy pass fares but I will not pay fuel surcharges. I can fly unlimited.
Now here are my other questions:
can i fly the delta code share airlines to fly to regions where delta doesn't fly their own planes? Example : aeromexico within mexico (code share routes), colombia (avianca) in colombian domestic routes, european airlines (code share routes) and continental to EWR from santiago (note: dominican republic related).
Would I have to pay extra for stop overs within my line of route to final destination and back?
Could the merger with northwest will change the rules for us?
Please add what could be beneficial to my knowledge. I know I am not asking all the questions here so please help.

Please folks, these are specific questions targeted towards delta airlines employees or airline employees who have first hand knowledge in this matter. I do not want google researched answers, I have done all my that already. My brother has never asked questions regarding this matter because he never needed to add a companion. It seems his info is very limited.
Thanks in advance.
AZB

R.Dennis

Apr 1, 2004
I've flown on a companion pass for about two years now and I used to be able to fly ID90s on Avianca (MIA-MDE was about $125 with taxes) and United but they have a new system called ZED Fares which has replaced the old system and Companions sadly no longer qualify to fly on ZED Fares which Delta has implemented system wide for employees, spouses to fly on i.e., Luftansa, Avianca, Southwest, Air France.

The companion pass is still a good deal especially when flying internationally because the loads generally are better for flying stand-by than flying domestic which can be tight and a drag alot of times and Elite Sky Miles people automatically bump you out of that 1st class seats but that's not the case for International Flights in Biz Elite which is a sure fire treat for jaunts across the Atlantic/Pacific to Europe, Middle East, Asia, Brazil Argentina.

Do yourself a favor and download the Delta Flight Schedule desktop tool Flight Schedules which you can play around on for days to plan your itineraries without having to log onto the Delta.com website daily. Also If you can get on your brothers companion pass the less hassle you will have with such a new emp date of 9/29/08.

Safe Travels!

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
I can't have my brother's comp. pass because he has his wife on it. if she used her own seniority date, she will sure not make it on some flights with him. he is 1987.
AZB