Fernandes Misses The "TRAIN" At Fordham University!

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
Fernandez doesn't quite "GET IT" yet!
He responded to criticism of the $700,000,000 (Yes,that is seven hundred million US Dollars) "DUMB"inican "Subway line in Santo Domingo,by saying that the Train will result in a benefit to the DR, because less "Fossil Fuel" will be used for transportation!
Somebody please inform "Leonel" where the "Electricity" to power the train "comes from", and just "HOW" it is generated!
The article states that the "line" is "complete"! If so,when will it be open to the public,.so we can begin saving all those "Fossil Fools"?????
Great news,the "Metro" is going to expand in Santo Domingo,and also is planned for Santiago! This must be a "Really Good" way to steal lots of money from all the people in the DR. Expect lots more "Yepettas" next year!
Please have "Leonel" explain how the DR will use less "Fossil Fuels" by giving thousands more "Yepettas" to polititians??? Or will "they", like the "Train", use "Free Electricity"???????
ccccccccccccccccccccccccccc

laurajane

Bronze
May 23, 2005
www.thecircusofdreams.com
I am not particulary well informed when it comes to political/government issues, but as a tax payer i suppose i am entitled to an opinion, which is...

I can not believe how a country that does not have the basics i.e basic sanitation (something the romans had thousands of years ago), 24 hour power, decent education and hospitals and decent roads can justify such a ridiculous project.

Full stop!

MikeFisher

The Fisherman/Weather Mod
Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
CC,
nothing to add.
so the new one in santiago will cost an other 700.000.000US$$$???
sure not,
rates go up for everything todays,
everything is more expensive,
sure for the 2nd metro each thief involved get's 2 more jeepetas instead of just 1.
i assume with that money we could make every little publis school on the island within a short time into a top notch univercity with all known hightech included.
but maybe i am just wrong and not good enough in numbers.
Mr Fernandez,
don't travel so often so far away,
start to travel your own country to get an idea about the facts.
but maybe such is not in the interest of 'politicians',
or he just doesn't do such to save the fuel needed for the jeepetas on such trips.
Mike

Bob K

Silver
Aug 16, 2004
As a friend said last night at dinner. When Columbus landed here almost 600 years ago there were:
No schools
No medical care
No electricity

So what has changed in that time.....NOTHING!

Bob K

Celt202

Gold
May 22, 2004
As a friend said last night at dinner. When Columbus landed here almost 600 years ago there were:
No schools
No medical care
No electricity

So what has changed in that time.....NOTHING!

Bob K
That's just so wrong. :lick:

Now we have a Metro! :D:cross-eye:dead:

Bob K

Silver
Aug 16, 2004
So sorry, forgot about the train that is way over budget and way behind schedule. And if one wants to be technical we still don't have it since it is not functioning yet!
Also forgot that it wil run on "hot air" since it seems not to need fossil fuels.

Bob K

NotLurking

Bronze
Jul 21, 2003
Sto Dgo Este
Quick questions... Is electricity only produced by burning fossil fuel? Is all electricity produced in DR by means of fossil fuel? Do you think that the DR will ever produce electricity using any renewable technique? (solar, wind, thermal, agricultural or hydro (dam or tidal -- from the ocean)? ;)

NotLurking

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Hydro already produces a smallish percentage of the DR's power, but it is not that much considering all the huge dams Balaguer built all around the country.

There is at least one wind power pilot project (in Samana) and one or two more in the pipeline. Solar is used on a small scale, but is not considered cost-effective.

Celt202

Gold
May 22, 2004
So sorry, forgot about the train that is way over budget and way behind schedule. And if one wants to be technical we still don't have it since it is not functioning yet!
Also forgot that it wil run on "hot air" since it seems not to need fossil fuels.

Bob K

The Metro runs one block north of where I live....sorry will run....OK may very well run one day.....

During construction I would tell my neighbors when it rained that the rain was a gift from God to wash the Metro dust off our cars!

I am so proud to live in a country that has a Metro! Does your city have a Metro? (Nueba Yolers [or is it Yolas] please don't answer.)

I have no desire to offend you, Bob K...I just can't contain my pride in this my adopted if very strange country. :cross-eye

If there's a blackout they can jury rig jeepetas to pull the trains. There's no end to the possibilities given the ingenuity here.

So some poor may starve so we can have a Metro that might even run some day......

All I can say is "Ask not what your country can do for you....etc."

NotLurking

Bronze
Jul 21, 2003
Sto Dgo Este
Hydro already produces a smallish percentage of the DR's power, but it is not that much considering all the huge dams Balaguer built all around the country.

Chiri, ~14-20% (depending on source) of electrical production in DR is hydroelectric. I wouldn't consider 1/5 or 1/6 of something 'smallish' as you put it. I think hydroelectric contribution is significant at ~470MW. With a few percentage more of hydro power scheduled to be on line by the end of 2010 (ex. Pinalito ~50MW and Palomino ~100MW), hydroelectric contribute significantly to the grid and does help reduce fossil fuel usage. Was President Fernandez really far off the mark with his less "Fossil Fuel" comment?

NotLurking

PICHARDO

One Dominican at a time, please!
May 15, 2003
Santiago de Los 30 Caballeros
Quick questions... Is electricity only produced by burning fossil fuel? Is all electricity produced in DR by means of fossil fuel? Do you think that the DR will ever produce electricity using any renewable technique? (solar, wind, thermal, agricultural or hydro (dam or tidal -- from the ocean)? ;)

NotLurking

The aim is to produce Ethanol with the vast sugarcane resources in the DR.

Ethanol is a renewable source of energy, one that will allow the country to become less dependant on foreign oil as it is. Funds will be recycled in the country as the money invested into that sector will be national.

We have other energy sources in the list as well for the DR, but all of them require a major capital investment we can't produce now or attempt to finance due to the long term required for initial ROI.

In terms of energy employed and quantity of people moved from several points, the Metro offers unquestionable savings, both in the short and long term. Projects of this magnitude are always a drag to the economies which undertake them, yet the payoff is that those same places wouldn't even consider life without them...

Mass transit is gong to be the #1 form of transportation to any nation that seeks to control pollution and city traffic overcrowding.

You can argue all you want about other sectors that needed more attention rather than the Metro; reality is that for a city to grow vertically, transit must be addressed a the epic level of what the city can be projected to reach zenith...

One system creates a rather greater need and due urgency of the deficient services provided. The actual operation of the Metro will provide a push to have city services meet the actual growth it has achieved with diligence.

Until cars didn't crowd the narrow dirt lanes, such roads were all the people needed to move around. Cars gave way to larger vehicles and more people called for better transportation hence the buses. Just as the same the Metro provides the layout for the needs of the city to be met as more and more lines will come to be added to the services rendered by such mass transportation system.

The Metro was started b/c the financing was there; otherwise never would such project have seen the light of day in the DR for quite a long time.

The next phases will be carried out on a joint semi public/private enterprise...

Was there a need to build a Metro system in the DR? The best answer would have been provided by the same people that made the same questioning on the NYC Subway's first line...

MikeFisher

Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
ye, he was off the mark by throwing hundreds of millions of US$ on the trash/Metro and is nasty enough to think about a 2nd metro while nobody knows not even nearly when a first one will work, if ever. with tha money the school system could get it's urgently needed improvements and altenative energy production could get much higher investments to reduce fossil fuel burning significantly.
Mike

MikeFisher

Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
i wrote while your post came up.
so here's my personal opinion answer:
In terms of energy employed and quantity of people moved from several points, the Metro offers unquestionable savings, both in the short and long term
that's a joke, right??
a Metro been til today nowhere on the globe a saving or such.
every metro in the world(in first world countries!) receives immense subsidies from it's government to stay alive.
inhuge highly populated areas like New York City Metros are needed, at any price, because such huge highly populated areas could not survive without that transportation system.
but please don't start to compare the small capital city of our island with a huge metropolitan area like NY or London aso.
St Dgo should have organized and invested in it's Transit system without a Metro, would have saved a bunch of money in the short term and unknown huge sums which are to come in the near and far future for ever.
Mike

NotLurking

Bronze
Jul 21, 2003
Sto Dgo Este
ye, he was off the mark by throwing hundreds of millions of US$ on the trash/Metro and is nasty enough to think about a 2nd metro while nobody knows not even nearly when a first one will work, if ever. with tha money the school system could get it's urgently needed improvements and altenative energy production could get much higher investments to reduce fossil fuel burning significantly.
Mike

Yes, MikeFisher, cry me a river. I'm not debating whether or not a metro was the way to go. In fact, it is pointless to embark in discussing, debating or arguing the benefits or perils of building the Metro because the construction of it is almost completed! Whether we like it or not, the Metro is here. It is counter productive to continue to harp about the US$700 million that have been spent already on it. I think that spending US$700 million on a Metro is not as bad as some here make it sound. For US$700 million the DR has something tangible that will be used by those that care to use it. Unlike the RD$2.5 Billion, that's with a B, transportation project Plan RENOVE (~US$710 million) that the people have nothing to show for, the Metro will provide a service.

My point is, why continue to harp on the Metro cost and not on the Plan Renove fiasco cost if both project cost the DR about the same?

NoLurking

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
NotLurking, you're treading a very iffy trail.

Think of many DR1ers as that guy that sits in front of his television set all day long with a beer on hand and is extremely lazy, BUT wants to tell you how the world works. :cheeky:

Aaaah, thanks but no thanks.

I've learned that there are quite a few people on this board that you just can't reason with, so do the following:

1. Present your opinion and back it up, and then forget about the debate for a while.

2. Let the critics criticize and simply wait for time to prove you right.

3. After you are proven to be correct, its up to you whether you want to rub it in their faces or simply do nothing since you know the people who criticized you noticed what happen.

Regarding the Metro, this dead horse has been beating so many times on this forum that its ridiculous that people feel compel to start another thread on a project that will be open to the public in December and the construction of the second line will begin early next year.

Get over it folks!

-NALs

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
Nals Is Right!

;)
So lets talk of expanding the Metro in SD,a "Metro" for Santiago,and how about a Freight train from Haina to Santiago. (Fernandez' next great "IDEA""/Way to steal more money from "El Pueblo Dominicano"!
His Dominican "House-Of-Cards" is soon to fall!
When the USA gets a "Cold",the DR gets "Pneumonia"!
How can a "Government" that cannot,educate,provide healthcare,police /fire protection,electricity,water,and a host of other needs to it's people even think about these mega-contruction-projects?
I'll tell you how,because they don't! Don't think ABOUT THE AVERAGE DOMINICAN CITIZEN!
Huge construction projects have a proven track record in the DR of pouring millions into the pockets of the political parties,and the politicians that run them!
De "Chancleta" to Jeepeta"!!!!!!!!!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCc

MikeFisher

Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
CC,
again nothing to add.
Nails,
that been one of the most 'intelligent' posts since some days.
looks like you graduated in Albany after one year, too, right??
been not a statement, just my own personal view after reading your stuff.
if you are tired to read about a dead horse, why answer??, nothing else to do?
the Metro horse is by far not dead,
compared to the real costs and the LITTLE of that which is paid til today(nearly nothing, yet??) that horese is by faaaar not dead, it did not even start to live!!!
but once started you can be damn sure that this one will live for EVER,
and that one will not eat at a cheap AI in Punta Cana, it will eat alives.
i would really agree to your prior made 'advice' to back up and "proof" the made advices,
but hey,
where's the back up???
what you brought really over about that in your 100+ posts about the same theme you name a dead horse??
to your point 3!!!:
WHO or WHAT of any is proofen til today??
you sound like Pichardo who wanna sound like a politician(which would todays sure not be a pos reputation in human's eyes anyways, at bleast not in mine),
do you guys have anything else than repeating wishes and prognoses of the big country leaders?
or did some just not find something else to do than to be the "criticizers" who blame others because they "criticize"(i hope you guys excuse my sepellings, it's not my language, but it is also My world and i wanna know what's going on).
what would a discussion bord like DR1 be with out critisism???
just a "yellow pages" collections of some posts copied to the bord from the daily newspapers and everybody agrees on that by not answering on that.
you have your opinion/meaning/view/vision/liking of copying or what so ever,
I have MINE.
that's what a disussion bord is about.
it means a BS how many useful or useless posts somebody collected the last years on the bord, everybody can express HIS personal meaning to a theme, and nobody sane in his had has to advice to "ignore criticisers".
you don't like the discussion/critisism??
that's your personal right,
you are a free person in a free world to stay OUT of any discussion which you don't like.
let the humans go on expressing their opinions.
Mike

Last edited: