It's the most wonderful time of the year!

ffritz

Feb 7, 2008
www.gymbar.blogspot.com
The weather is getting a touch cooler.

The island is green again after the rains.

Costambar is alive with the sound of weed-whackers & machetes working hard clearing lots & trimming verges.

The powercuts bear some resemblance to the schedule.

Water is starting to flow thru the water mains.

Contractors are preparing their gringo price lists.

The snow-birds are coming.

I wonder how many dogs will be poisoned this winter?

CG

Bronze
Sep 16, 2004
And only 63 more days of hurricane season to stress about,,, it certainly is a most wonderful time of year !!

P.S. keep your dogs on a short leash

laurajane

Bronze
May 23, 2005
www.thecircusofdreams.com
And i heard "Feliz Navidad" already playing in Iberia aaarrrrggggggghhhhhhhh!!!!!

Allthough one family near bavaro have kept there 6ft snowman outside their house all year, marvelous! Thats what i call Christmas spirit LOL!

COROLLA24

Apr 11, 2004
community.webshots.com
Returning for the best time of the year!!!

I cannot wait to return to DR - Puerto Plata - Rio San Juan for 1month..
We are going down mid december til mid January with our son... :)
I hope it does not rain too much, last year we had Xmas here in Canada and it was wayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy toooooooooooooooo cold and snowy so this year its back to DR!!!
:)

sueeng3

May 5, 2008
Such a nice time of year ffritz
I will tell you keeping your dog on a leash will not stop the poison
Ask my 3 they were poisend in Janruary this year, all are ok now but one was in a bad way and almost didnt make it, my dogs had not been out we have a big garden, it was thrown over the wall:eek:gre:
I can tell you that the person who did it has done it for a lot of years !!
But he was caught and will NOT be doing it this year,
It also sent out a warning to the people who were paid to throw the poison
They got 15 years, but hey come on children could so easy eat it :ermm:

sueeng3

May 5, 2008
The Person who poisoned my dogs, did it every year always started in Janruary
He has done it for at least 13 years !!! and got away with it
your right ffritz he was a snow bird, love dogs or hate them its a terrible painfull death for them, one of mine spent 8 days in the vets turned completly yellow and went to hell and back,
But for the vets quick response she would not have stood a chance, she was 14 weeks old at the time !! no age to die
But my point is still that throwing poison like that children could pick it up and eat it.
I wont believe that in 13 years he did not harm a child
lets hope that he was the only one but some how i dont think so,
But just for information
if your dogs not feeling too good the poison used on mine gave a metalic smell
if you dont have a poison kit, beat up egg whites only with milk and salt and get it down them,then get them to the vet asap, when i phoned the vet in pp and told her the smell she was at my house in 15 mins

reese_in_va

Feb 22, 2007
There is also poisoning going on in the campo, but for different reasons and it's not the snow birds. This is a tactic used just before a robbery attempt.
The best way to prepare your pets from a poisoning is to train them not to eat anything that is thrown in front of them. About as difficult to do such as teaching your dog to fly, but is the only sure sound way to prevent poisoning to occur.
There are also toads that will poison your dogs if eaten or sprayed. The toad will blow up in the midsection, then emit a harmful toxin and if the dog gets wind of this it can mess them up, especially if they eat them. Massive foaming of the mouth will occur and a vet visit will be needed.
So sorry to hear of your troubles ffritz, hopefully they are over.

sueeng3

May 5, 2008
Swdee, a snow bird is a person who flys here from there own country to avoid the cold,the rain, the snow,
then when its summer back in there own country the go back home

Lucille

Bronze
Jan 14, 2007
Swdee, a snow bird is a person who flys here from there own country to avoid the cold,the rain, the snow,
then when its summer back in there own country the go back home
Sueeng:
I understand that, but why do they poison the dogs? it is a crime....unbelievable....

sueeng3

May 5, 2008
Lucille, your right i dont know why they do it
If you see what the poor dog goes through its so bad.
But i hope that them catching the people who did it to my dogs as sent out a message to them.
I have never seen such pain in a animal as one of mine went through and never want to see it again.

Thandie

Bronze
Nov 27, 2007
Lucille,
I am assuming they are poisning the dogs because they feel the dogs barking at night is a nuisance and they cant sleep?
But there are a variety of other animals and things that make noise at night.....
crickets, frogs, roosters (btw I thought they only made noise at dawn?), screaming people, music blasting from cars, etc., lol
Life in the Caribbean....

Lucille

Bronze
Jan 14, 2007
Lucille,
I am assuming they are poisning the dogs because they feel the dogs barking at night is a nuisance and they cant sleep?
But there are a variety of other animals and things that make noise at night.....
crickets, frogs, roosters (btw I thought they only made noise at dawn?), screaming people, music blasting from cars, etc., lol
Life in the Caribbean....

EXACTLY....lol...lol....and motoconchos as well...and hopefully this winter they stop that crime.
Sueeng I am glad your lovely dogs are doing well...