Getting from Cabarete to Santiago

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jul 28, 2008
Hi everyone. I really have enjoyed reading these posts ... great advice. So, I'm hoping that someone can advise me. I'm sure the easiest (and least expensive) way of getting from Cabarete to Santiago is by bus. Having checked the schedules for the Caribe Coach, I can't tell if there is a Cabarete-to-Santiago route. Will I be able to get a reliable (and reasonably safe) passage from Cabarete to Santiago?

Thanks for any help you can give.

CFA123

Silver
May 29, 2004
No Caribe Tours (or other bus) stop in Cabarete.
Take a taxi, carro publico, or guagua to Sosua (Los Charamicos side) to the Caribe Tours station. It's on the main road & your driver should be well aware of where it is.

Your other option is just to hire a taxi to Santiago. Rates a couple of years ago were $70. With gas prices what they are now, I'm sure the rates are higher.

Going with the bus will take you probably 2 1/2 hours+ from Cabarete depending on how well you time your arrival at the bus station in Sosua. Taking a taxi thru the mountains via Moca should take under 1 1/2 hours.

Reactions: Rocky

DavidZ

Silver
Aug 29, 2005
www.vipcigartours.com
Another option is Metro Tours...similar to Caribe, but the station is closer to Cabarete (at the Texaco Station on the main highway, center of Sosua). The two bus terminals in Santiago are only a few blocks apart. I believe the bus leaves at 8:20, 10:20, 1:20, and 4:20...here's the number for the ticket office:

809-571-1324

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
A word of advice:
Depending on WHERE in Santiago you ae going, IF you take CAribe Tours you need to get off at the second terminal, rather than the first...unless you have business in the Las Colinas section or the Zona Franca..

Otherwise you get off on Maimon Street Station...

Metro only stops on Maimon. Taxis in Santiago are 125 pesos....

HB

Reactions: Rocky
Sep 19, 2005
Hire a taxi and go through the mountains via Sabante and Moca. It is beautiful, and you will save a lot of time. The trick is hiring a taxi that is comfortable and in good shape.....you dont want to see the road from the back seat when looking DOWN!! ha ha ha

Since you are not leaving from an airport, it may be cheaper than others have suggested.

plus with the driver, you can ask him to stop anyplace...

for a drink, for eating, for taking pictures.
good luck

bad bob

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
metro is way more comfy but bob is right about sabaneta/moca road - so beautiful! take the taxi to travel via mountain road and caribe/metro to go back. metro/caribe stop are literally 100 meters apart in santiago.
ps, you may want to buy return ticket in advance, buses are always packed. both have similar rates, around 150 pesos one way (prices change often accordingly to the price of gas). no idea about taxi price but do haggle....

jbars

Jul 6, 2007
Hillbilly, quick question, or anyone else that might have knowledge on this subject. It was mentioned in your posts that there are two Caribe tours stops in Santiago and to choose one based on where you are going. Which one i go to if leaving Santiago after staying at Hotel Aloha Sol in order to go to Sosua?

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
The one on Maimon street, down from the Metro Station in MUCH closer. Still a $125 taxi ride..It is called the Los jardines Station.

HB

jbars

Jul 6, 2007
Hillbilly, thanks for the quick response. I think I will take the bus from Santiago to Sosua. It seems very reasonable from what I understand roughly 200 pesos. I will have some luggage, everything at the station is safe in terms of them not losing luggage if it is placed in a coach department or problems with valuables that you might know of? Thank you in advance.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
metro will only stop in POP and sosua, i think it may be the same with caribe. you can get off in POP to stretch your legs and see in your luggage has not been unloaded by a mistake.
i have not heard about luggage issues on metro/caribe so far except for a poor chiuaua who peed himself during the trip in a luggage compartment (in a cage, of course).

Jul 28, 2008
Just wanted to update everyone on this thread ... I recently completed the bus ride on Caribe Tours from Sosua to Santiago.

After landing in Puerto Plata, the taxi ride to Cabarete was RD1200 (approx. $35). From my Cabarete hotel back into Sosua to catch the bus was RD500 and the bus fare from Sosua to Santiago was RD130.

Thanks again to everyone for all of your help and advice.

Status
Not open for further replies.