universal health insurance

jaguarbob

Bronze
Mar 2, 2004
I am looking for someone on DR1 who may sell Universal health ins.I am going to get a policy for my wife and 2 daughters,Dominicanas.
A friend of mine told me he has Universal and is very good and can be used about anywhere in DR.My family lives in El Limon,Samana.
There are a few Universal Agents here in SD,but I would like to do business with a DR1 business if possible.
bob

GFar

Jan 23, 2007
I am in Santiago, and also looking for health insurance for my wife and myself. Does anyone know a good carrier and how to contact them?

jojo2130

May 30, 2005
I am with Universal for Home, Health, Car and Life insurance.

Service is great except you have to remember when it is time to pay.

But I deal with a Direct office here in Puerto Plata. Not an Agent.

Be careful because there are stories around of agents taking payments and then not turning those payments over to the insurance companies which could be cause for a lot of grief for you.

Have no qualms about dealing direct with them they are highly professional and organized.

In Santo Domingo their office is 1100 Winston Churchill
809-544-7111

I am not sure, they may be a bit more expensive then others. But I prefer peace of mind with a wife and a new son rather than the extra 500 RD$ in my pocket. !

jojo2130

May 30, 2005
In Puerto Plata they are on Beller. Across from where you get the car Revistas.

53 Beller . Phone # in POP is 809-589-1111 . It is a UNIVERSAL office and the staff are very helpful and professional. AS for how much , It will depend. For the health We have the 90% Coverage, Family of 3 . You can pay Quarterly (Which we do) monthly I think too or yearly. They have different plans to choose from
I pay about 13000 RD every 3 months. So for 125$ a month it sure beats most other countries health care rates !

kurdela

Jan 23, 2009
Do I have to be a resident to apply for this insurance? Is there any branches down the south? Do you have to provide any documents in order to arrange it? What does it cover? Can I use any public clinics then without any charge?
I will be very grateful for any replies.

jojo2130

May 30, 2005
Hello,
I got mine when I first moved here 4 years ago. you only need your passport.
I was not yet a resident. it covers hospital stays, you can get it for prescriptions as well. They have several plans. There is always a "consultation fee" when you visit the doctor but that is only 100-300 pesos normally. The coverage is amazing.
For example in December , we were in La Romana and my son had a lingering chest congestion, we took him to the best Clinic in La Romana, they kept him 48 hours and gave him intravenous Antibiotics. Cleared him up, got rid of the fever and he was good as new by the time we got home.
All covered except 200 pesos (6 US Dollars) Excellent Pediatrician ! Fantastic!
We have had to use the coverage 2-3 times over the past 4 years including delivering my son and the coverage and the service was excellent.
Call their central number (Spanish) to get office info but I am looking at their Calander here on my desk and they have several offices in Santo Domingo, Santiago San Francisco La Romana Bavaro Bani .

Central # is 809-544-7111 Website is Seguros Universal

Joe

TOOBER_SDQ

Bronze
Nov 19, 2008
Do I have to be a resident to apply for this insurance? Is there any branches down the south? Do you have to provide any documents in order to arrange it? What does it cover? Can I use any public clinics then without any charge?
I will be very grateful for any replies.

Why don't you call the number JoJo listed above and ask them?

Squat

Tropical geek in Las Terrenas
Jan 1, 2002
-Is Universal health insurance better than ARS Humano ?

Most posters are with Humano... I am currently shopping for a (inexpensive) health insurance (wife+kids+me)...

kurdela

Jan 23, 2009
Thanks a lot for your reply. It's really helpful. I'll call them but not in person because I don't speak Spanish and I'm not there yet. Coming 26 Feb. How much about do you have to pay a month for Universal? 125$ per person?

jojo2130

May 30, 2005
For a family of 3 We pay 13,000 Pesos every 3 months but they have several different plans

cuas

May 29, 2006
My brother is an agent for a health insurance company here in the NY/NJ area. It interested PM me and if can give you his email address. He can discuss coverage and cost. He sells them to Dominicans to cover their families in DR who are tired of sending money to cover medical bills.