Hdtv conversion

Island Treats

Sep 5, 2003
SOSUALIVING.COM
What affect the High Definition "HDTV" conversion will have on the DR?
For those who do not utilize cable or satellite services will a converter box be necessary? Will free or discount converter boxes be available for those who still use analog signals? Discount and free coupons are being offer to consumers in the USA. Will something similar to this be offered in the Dominican Republic as well?

peep2

Bronze
Oct 24, 2004
DTV and HDTV are two different beasts although I believe you need a DTV (digital) signal to transmit high def (HDTV) program. DTV uses much less band width than the presently used analog brodcasting. By forcing everyone in the U.S. to switch to digital the government freed up a lot of band width which they then auctioned off to the highest bidders (cell phone companies). Because the airways are less crowded in the D.R. there is no need to make the switch. However there is a lot of money to be made both over and under the table if the switch was mandated in the D.R. I'm surprised I haven't heard anythig about it yet.

Reactions: Rocky

Island Treats

Sep 5, 2003
SOSUALIVING.COM
Peep you are right I meant DTV...I had said HDTV which means High Definition TV....what's coming is DTV...Digital TV.....old age is catching up with me...,:ermm: After further research I came up with this link. I think this is a USA thing for now, however I think this thing will be a global conversion one day.
HDTV and The Digital TV Transition

CyaBye3015

Bronze
Jan 8, 2003
Peep you are right I meant DTV...I had said HDTV which means High Definition TV....what's coming is DTV...Digital TV.....old age is catching up with me...,:ermm: After further research I came up with this link. I think this is a USA thing for now, however I think this thing will be a global conversion one day.
HDTV and The Digital TV Transition

Most of what has been written here (and in another thread) is true.

The 2/09 conversion to DTV is a US FCC mandate thing, it has nothing to do with other countries or satellites.

How The DR or any other country decides to deal with a DTV transmission is entirely up to their government.

Knowing the DR, I doubt your TV will be around that long........ As a matter of fact. I doubt you will be either. :ermm::ermm::ermm:

wuarhat

I am a out of touch hippie.
Nov 13, 2006
Are the HD-DTVs being sold in the United States capable of being used to receive and view the broadcast TV signals being used in the Dominican Republic now?

peep2

Bronze
Oct 24, 2004
You would have to look at the specs for the TV to be sure. If it says ATSC the TV will tune both analog and digital. My guess is that most new TVs will tune both. If you have an "old fashioned" analog tv you can easily and inexpensively hook it up to a seperate digital tuner box to watch digital signals. I have not heard of analog converters for digital only TVs.

wuarhat

I am a out of touch hippie.
Nov 13, 2006
You would have to look at the specs for the TV to be sure. If it says ATSC the TV will tune both analog and digital. My guess is that most new TVs will tune both. If you have an "old fashioned" analog tv you can easily and inexpensively hook it up to a seperate digital tuner box to watch digital signals. I have not heard of analog converters for digital only TVs.

Thanks peep2.

jojo2130

May 30, 2005
Hi,

Maybe I didn't understand what you meant but many many countries are going Digital. Like in the UK they call the DVB-T , Freeview. Analog will be shut off in many Countries for all the reasons mentioned above. Canada for example in 2011 and several Other countries like Australia .

there are 4 Standards

ATSC North America Mainly
DVB-T Europe And Australia and many ASian Countriess
ISDB In Brazil
DMB-T-H In China

With less Bandwidth they will be able to put out HD Signals.

I deal in TV's . American consumers don't seem to have gotten it yet. Europe it is Big . ! And demanded !

Joe