Pistol Packing?

Aug 21, 2007
In light of recent threads and having been a dr1 subscriber for a little more than a year, I have a question with no hidden agenda or preconceived idea. Perhaps this question is naive. I am sure you will tell me if that is so.

This question is for those residents who choose to carry concealed arms.

Aside from emotional security, in your experience, has the gun been beneficial? Have you used it? Have you had to pull it out without firing it?

If you had to fire the gun, what were the circumstances? Would you do it again? If you actually shot someone, do you trust the DR police and judicial systems to protect you? If not, what is your plan?

Carrying a gun is a serious decision. I believe that those who do, have a rationale. Before going through the process of purchasing a weapon and becoming legal to carry one, I would like feedback from those who do.

Thanks-
Lindsey

mike l

Silver
Sep 4, 2007
Lindsey,

No, No, and No.!

You are safe so relax, before I begin! OK !

Everyone needs to learn this.

If you get robbed you get robbed!

Now, while you are absent from your home or like I was when I was sleeping you think police, and as much as I feel violated at the fact the intruder ate my left over chicken dinner , leaving the plate in front of my toilette as he was robbing me was funny!

Might work, but best just to let it go and live another day.

Theft is the Poverty Tax, not Income Tax.

Everything else aside , do not confront someone who has nothing but a machette as a Lawn Mower , these guys think they are the new Titanium razor blade!

That part was supposed to get a laugh!

Reactions: AlaninDR

socuban

Nov 24, 2002
(My replies in bold...........)

In light of recent threads and having been a dr1 subscriber for a little more than a year, I have a question with no hidden agenda or preconceived idea. Perhaps this question is naive. I am sure you will tell me if that is so.

Aside from emotional security,

(Personal protection? I don't think of it as emotional, but rather, a necessary evil)

in your experience, has the gun been beneficial?

(I feel safer knowing that I have some capacity to potentially neutralize or eliminate a deadly situation. It primarily elevates my awareness of surroundings and situations, because the use of a deadly weapon should be a last resort. Engage brain first!)

Have you used it?

(No, and I hope I NEVER have to)

Have you had to pull it out without firing it?

(Conventional training will teach you that the only time you pull a weapon is when you intend to actually USE it)

If you had to fire the gun, what were the circumstances? Would you do it again? If you actually shot someone, do you trust the DR police and judicial systems to protect you? If not, what is your plan?

(Preservation of self, of family, friends and victims of a serious crime is paramount to Dominican law, in my book. That being said, I surmise that connections/money to get out of jail or be prepared to spend time in jail for the use deadly force should be expected after the fact)

Carrying a gun is a serious decision.
I believe that those who do, have a rationale.

(You need to be able to answer the following; Can I kill another human being? Am I prepared to face the consequences? In normal civilization, the taking of a life has to be accounted for, usually the job of the attorney general)

Before going through the process of purchasing a weapon and becoming legal to carry one, I would like feedback from those who do.

(If you decide to carry a lethal weapon for self defense, practice situational awareness (should be standard protocol in the DR anyway) and practice with your choice of weapon(s) often)

Thanks-
Lindsey

mike l

Silver
Sep 4, 2007
Too scary for me!

Do we head to the Airport.......or will we run into some banned socks on some guy named John!

I have no shame so fess up1

simpson Homer

Bronze
Nov 14, 2003
I think that the answers from SOCUBAN are clear enough.

It makes sense not to pull a gun to another person if you wont use it, you dont
what it comes after and be ready $ if you shoot someone.

better have a bullet proof vest than the gun.....

Matilda

RIP Lindsay
Sep 13, 2006
Lindsey. I was shot. Point blank range. Through neck. I ran. I survived. If I had had a gun I would have taken time to get it out of bag, belt, whereever, and they would have shot me again. Better to have no gun and run.

Matilda

AK74

On Vacation!
Jun 18, 2007
Lindsey. I was shot. Point blank range. Through neck. I ran. I survived. If I had had a gun I would have taken time to get it out of bag, belt, whereever, and they would have shot me again. Better to have no gun and run.

Matilda

Sorry to hear this , Matilda!
You are so sweet.
I will pray my God for you to get well soon and completely.
I hope to see you soon in your JD. Minovia agreed to go there instead of Boca Chica!

laurajane

Bronze
May 23, 2005
www.thecircusofdreams.com
better have a bullet proof vest than the gun.....

What if they shoot you in the head? LOL

Sorry a little dumb and dumber humor there!

I find this interesting as i too have been considering the pro's and con's of owning a hand gun. I don't like the idea of it, but that won't protect my family should something happen. To be honest i don't think i have it in me to shoot someone, but i think most mothers would agree with me that if your children were in harms way you would do what is needed and shoot if you had to.

Maybe i should search some threads, but it would be interesting to know in cases were people have has intruders in their homes if those that were hurt initially fought back/were armed or were passive and unarmed?

Will most intruders leave you unharmed if you cooperate or if the victim is seen as incapable of retaliating do they tend to be more violent?

I have had an intruder in my home, they opened my bedroom door and as i am a light sleeper i looked up and they closed the door and fled the house, however i do believe this was a youngster as he had already been through my handbag and only taken cash, he left car keys, credit cards etc. I consider myself very lucky that they did not take advantage of the fact i was home alone and in bed, but then i also think it was someone i knew and that's why.

I also did not realise that the police here would likely arrest you and punish you for killing an intruder, Is this true?

:)

Drro

Bronze
Mar 22, 2006
I certainly would like to be able to protect myself, but in the States it's suggested that people who have guns - the robbers and thieves end up using it against you. That one moment of breath in, what should I do, and I could be dead by my own gun in someone else's hand.

That said, what are the alternatives? I don't do knives - is pepper spray or something else effective to at least stun someone (a stun gun) and then run - or would I get clay feet and wait and see. Hope not!

Sep 19, 2005
the beauty of having a concealed weapon, is the other guy doesnt know you have one...so if you dont want to pull it out, then they go on thinking you dont have one...it is your choice... a choice YOU DONT HAVE if you dont have the concealed weapon at all!!

your questions are kind a like asking about life insurance... hey you hardly ever need it......

UNTIL you need it.. then its too late to get it ha ha ha

I would always take the route of having more choices

how many days do you leave the house with your cell and dont get any calls?

do you start to think, hey I dont need to bring this phone?? I doubt it...you bring it IN CASE YOU MIGHT NEED IT

dont over analyze the situation..... you will grow old ha ha

if nothing else a gun is good to get cats out of trees instead of calling the fire dept

bad bad bob

Bronxboy

Jul 11, 2007
the beauty of having a concealed weapon, is the other guy doesnt know you have one...so if you dont want to pull it out, then they go on thinking you dont have one...it is your choice... a choice YOU DONT HAVE if you dont have the concealed weapon at all!!

your questions are kind a like asking about life insurance... hey you hardly ever need it......

UNTIL you need it.. then its too late to get it ha ha ha

I would always take the route of having more choices

how many days do you leave the house with your cell and dont get any calls?

do you start to think, hey I dont need to bring this phone?? I doubt it...you bring it IN CASE YOU MIGHT NEED IT

dont over analyze the situation..... you will grow old ha ha

if nothing else a gun is good to get cats out of trees instead of calling the fire dept

bad bad bob

Yep, is like having a car that can go 200 mph.

You will never go 200 mph but it is nice knowing you can if need be.

jrhartley

Gold
Sep 10, 2008
the scariest thought is all these people who have no idea how to use a gun even contemplating buying one- my neighbour regularly sees things she thinks is an intruder- which turns out to be a shadow or a large plant (she has a gun- im worried she may fire it if she sees me at dusk in my own garden so i make sure I only go out in good daylight)

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
Would it be better to discuss this subject without posters admitting what they do or don't carry/ have at home? I'm all in favour of honesty but this is one subject where I wouldn't be prepared to make a full disclosure on a public forum. That way the element of surprise is retained :) .

Reactions: Bronxboy

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
Lindsay, I suggest you take a ccw course from a knowledgeable instructor before making that decision.

Additionally, there is a TON of information on the NRA site.

Castellamonte

Bronze
Mar 3, 2005
Cabrera
www.villa-castellamonte.com

<snip>

I tend to agree with the overall sentiment here. Do not, under any circumstances, consider carrying a firearm unless you are a) trained, b) capable and c) willing to use it.

Never threaten anyone with a firearm. If you pull it out you should use it. Keep that in mind and it will certainly temper how often you pull it out.

I've got a concealed carry license in the United States and do so on a regular basis for business reasons. The US is much more dangerous than the Dominican Republic, by a long shot (no pun intended). Just look at the news.

The Dominican Republic is in an uproar over 7 people (possibly criminals) getting shot on a drug deal. But in Philadelphia more people get shot on a weekend than that. Most major US cities have similar problems.

Why do people feel the Dominican Republic is unsafe compared to where they are from if they are in the U.S.? To me this makes no sense at all. Texas alone has more handguns (registered) than each citizen in that state could hold in their hands at the same time!

So do I have firearms here? You betcha. Could I use them if I felt I needed to? You betcha. Do I haul one around to the discos, grocery stores, gas stations and colmados I might frequent on a daily basis. Heck no! I'm not protecting myself in those situations, I'd be asking for trouble.

Basically, if you have to ask if you should have a firearm in this or any other country the answer is "no." That you would ask indicates insufficient training and experience in using something this lethal in any situation.

People kill people. Guns are just the instrument. A gun is a little too easy to use. Yet it has the same consequences as chopping someone up with a machete. Think very seriously and get trained before you buy a firearm, you may be called upon to use it or it will be used on you.

My two pesos worth...

Bronxboy

Jul 11, 2007
I tend to agree with the overall sentiment here. Do not, under any circumstances, consider carrying a firearm unless you are a) trained, b) capable and c) willing to use it.

Never threaten anyone with a firearm. If you pull it out you should use it. Keep that in mind and it will certainly temper how often you pull it out.

I've got a concealed carry license in the United States and do so on a regular basis for business reasons. The US is much more dangerous than the Dominican Republic, by a long shot (no pun intended). Just look at the news.

The Dominican Republic is in an uproar over 7 people (possibly criminals) getting shot on a drug deal. But in Philadelphia more people get shot on a weekend than that. Most major US cities have similar problems.

Why do people feel the Dominican Republic is unsafe compared to where they are from if they are in the U.S.? To me this makes no sense at all. Texas alone has more handguns (registered) than each citizen in that state could hold in their hands at the same time!

So do I have firearms here? You betcha. Could I use them if I felt I needed to? You betcha. Do I haul one around to the discos, grocery stores, gas stations and colmados I might frequent on a daily basis. Heck no! I'm not protecting myself in those situations, I'd be asking for trouble.

Basically, if you have to ask if you should have a firearm in this or any other country the answer is "no." That you would ask indicates insufficient training and experience in using something this lethal in any situation.

People kill people. Guns are just the instrument. A gun is a little too easy to use. Yet it has the same consequences as chopping someone up with a machete. Think very seriously and get trained before you buy a firearm, you may be called upon to use it or it will be used on you.

My two pesos worth...

Excellent post!!!

PICHARDO

One Dominican at a time, please!
May 15, 2003
Santiago de Los 30 Caballeros
Currently there's a big consensus to take on gun permits in the DR seriously...

The bold idea is to extend the current ban on weapons and ammunition to lessen the quantity as much as possible.

Further on, new licenses will only be provided to security companies (instead of to the guards as a ways to limit the number of people that carry the weapons home) and people that are deemed to be in personal danger by a court of the DR (the target of death threats, etc...).

To be able to disarm the population, security must be improved exponentially in all the national territory. We don't need to make more laws, just enforce the ones we now have...

A program is being studied that provides a way to identify, supervise and remove from the general population those that are violent repeat offenders. A true reintegration system to be employed in the jails of the DR is also a big part of this.

We have to remove the elemental reasons why the crime took place in the first place (not all types of crime apply) in order to be able to provide a viable path for the convicted to participate in society as a positive law abiding individual.

The first stage of such program is to be implemented in our jails first (the most important link in the chain) and to clean up the rank and file of the institutions that provide security and law enforcement in our country. We need to penalize more the agents and law enforcement individuals that break the law, thus providing the needed atmosphere for a clean and transparent workplace to others.

That stage is currently in process, as all the institutions in our forces are being push to oust those involved in breaking the law and having them prosecuted as required to send a clear message that the "game" is over.

No more free passes regardless of rank or title.

This stage is not an easy one to roll out, as you know the guilty protect each other. That's why a compensation is being dispensed to some agents that follow the rule of law when going about their job (as crazy as it sounds it compensates those for doing their "job" in the first place). The idea is to build up morale in short term to bring those not lost yet, to give up the rotten apples.

The idea that we can remove guns from citizens without first providing a safe environment for them to level the risks to such action is unthinkable and stupid.

Sadly in the DR, it all boils down to leaders and the way they enforce the moral code within their ranks. Sometimes we get a good leader others we don't.

So far this administration has failed to deliver on the prosecution of crooked public officials as soon as legal corroborated proof arises of wrong doing by some people holding official seats. We need the morals to be enforced from the top down!

I don't know how long it will take to bring accountability in our public institutions, but it can only get better as we exert more pressure for changes to take place year after year.