Occidental Gran Bahia Hotel Samana?

J

JJ

Has anyone stayed at Gran Bahia in Samana recently. I'd like to stay there sometime during May - Aug next year. However, I've read comments that it is poorly maintained & the staff attitude was nonchalant. It sounds to be the perfect location for beauty and accessibility to peninsula activities.

THis will be my first time to Samana..going with my daughter and a girlfriend.

Any help will be appreciated!

N

Natasha

My husband and I honeymooned there two years ago and had no complaints whatsoever. I have heard the same complaints you mention, but we were treated very well by the staff (we were actually upgraded to a better room and the staff went out of their way to satisfy us).

Don't expect a lot of things to go on here. This is a rather small all-inclusive (it became all-inclusive about 4-5 years ago when Occidental took it over), where you won't find salsa lessons at the pool area, Michael Jackson impersonations or loud music anywhere. This is a very romantic place and most come to relax and enjoy the natural beauty of Samana. The only nightly entertainment that we saw was a small band that played ballads several nights a week. The upstairs terrace has plenty of books and board games.

The location of Gran Bahia is gorgeous, right in front of Cayo Levantado island and the views are to die for! Architecturally, this hotel is also very beautiful. The food wasn't anything to brag about, but the size, location, and friendly staff of the hotel made up for it. The beach at Gran Bahia is not the best for swimming (unless you're a a strong swimmer, which I am not) since there can be a strong undertow, but there are plenty of gorgeous beaches throughout the peninsula. The Gran Bahia also operates a boat to Cayo Levantado and the beach there is great, specially when there aren't so many people around. Hope you enjoy your stay!

Regards,
Natasha