coffee plant - how to grow

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
i am off home for xmas. my dad keeps on asking me to bring him a coffee bush (or is a tree?). apparently live plants are not allowed on a plane (and anyway i don't think any plant would survive 24hr of travelling) so i plan to bring him seeds.
any advice on how to treat one? miesposo's mum says seeds should be dry (but not roasted), they can be planted at anytime. of course it's gonna be winter and dad has to plant his coffee treasure in a pot and keep it home. any advice as to type of soil, amount of light, temperature?
and where to get the seed? how to dry it?
please, help. i know my dad would be so happy if he grows little coffee bush...
maybe i can gate him cocoa plant too? how does one grow cocoa?

jrhartley

Gold
Sep 10, 2008
I think in theory you cant bring seeds on a plane either- not sure about ones that are bought in sealed packets

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
i am quite sure one cannot bring seeds - but they are easier to hide...

heldengebroed

Bronze
Mar 9, 2005
Normal soil for potting plants
20 to 25 ?c for planting
2cm insert the seeds 2cm deep in the soil
water good
keep moist
have patience (can take a few months)

Greetings

Johan

jrhartley

Gold
Sep 10, 2008
you can find out how to grow most things by a search of a little device known as the world wide web- it comes in very handy for asking questions and it never answers back

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
you can find out how to grow most things by a search of a little device known as the world wide web- it comes in very handy for asking questions and it never answers back

But then what would we do with all our spare time, tell jokes? :cheeky:

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005

xg9umr.jpg

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
answering back is the best part! ;)
thanks for all help, no green house but dad has lots of patience. probably he will keep coffee in a pot and take it to the garden for summers (darn hot) and home for the winter. looks like he'll enjoy it!

reese_in_va

Feb 22, 2007
I'm not sure how you will bring a coffee plant in and out of the house, between seasons??? Our coffee seedlings were planted last year and they are 3-4ft. tall but skinny. You would have to have them in a fairly large pot.
Is this for coffee bean harvesting or just for a conversation piece?
Coffee seeds should be easy enough to bring, but I'm not sure about the cacao. I think there are a bit bigger.
If you are in the PoP area I might be able to locate some for you.
I just have to chuckle a little thinking of someone carrying coffee and cacoa trees inside for the winter and having them in the house. Behind the sofa?

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
i am in POP itself so if you have spare seeds i'll be happy to pick them up!

no clue how dad will carry those pots, believe it or not he transports things in the basket on his bike (we are talking normal bike here, not a motor) and that includes big stones. and there is always a wheel barrel or whatever you call that thing. 3-4 feet is just about a meter, he will manage. or maybe it will prompt him to built small green house?

i did not ask, btw, why he wants coffee so badly. when i went home with miesposo poor man was interrogated by my dad on the subject of plants, so who knows, maybe next year i'll post "how to plant a banana tree?" thread... :cheeky::cheeky::cheeky:

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
You can grow tropical plants like banana trees and coconut palms outside the tropics, but don't expect them to bear fruit. Attempting this in Poland might be pushing it, though. :D

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
i cannot destroy my dad's dream! :cheeky:
it's not likely he will come here and see tropics by himself :ermm: