Hotel in Juan Dolio

sweetdbt

Bronze
Sep 17, 2004
I am looking for a value-priced non-AI hotel for a night or 2 in Juan Dolio or Guyucanes. There is info a couple of years old on Plaza Perla and Romeo and Juliet, which sound fine. Just checking to see if these are still valid options or if there are new places. I don't really want a condo/apartment. Any input would be appreciated.

Matilda

RIP Lindsay
Sep 13, 2006
The only non Ai hotels in Villas del Mar are apart hotels albatros and Plaza Real. The former is on the beach at around 70 us$ a night methinks and the later on the othr side of the road opposite the Marbella construction at around 50 us$ a night.

In old Juan Dolio I am not sure Romeo and Juliet is still open but you can try Playa Esmerelda.

Matilda

johnny

Bronze
Feb 8, 2003
hausenland.com
there is a hotel, right on the beach on juan dolio, i think is called paraiso caribe or so. prices start at 25-30dlls. phone 829 224 1011 or 697 2155
there are some good restaurants and bars around. that area is also called punta garza, and is in front of metro country club.
plaza real is ok too. 30-40dlls. but lot of noise and dust from construction around.

sweetdbt

Bronze
Sep 17, 2004
I'm not familiar with the area, so I can't say what is Old Juan Dolio or something else. Just looking for a room near the beach reasonably close to Santo Domingo but not in Boca Chica. The location and price for the place Johnny mentioned sound good, and in fact it sounds like the Plaza Perla mentioned in an old thread. Possibly under new ownership with a new name? I'll give them a call.

johnny

Bronze
Feb 8, 2003
hausenland.com
the old juan dolio, is where some of the all inc. are located, decameron, talanquera, coral costa caribe, etc. is closer to guayacanes. the hotel i mentioned is just about 2 years old., is right on the beach, there are bars and restaurant, next to the hotel. less than a mile is Aura, a fancy restaurant with gourmet seafood and nice ambient. there is another great seafood restaurant in guayacanes (dont rememmber the name) and Dely swiss (one of the best in the country).
the new juan dolio, is just a bunch of new buildings condo, some of them in const. with a very ugly design, that somebody is calling the south beach of the caribbean. (this is the most ridiculous thing i have heard in years). I will like that somebody tell me where are the bars and rest. that you can compare with the ones in ocean drive, washignton ave or collins road, which hotel you can compare with Delano or Tides, where is lincoln road in Juan dolio?
where are the brands boutiques like armany, calvin klein, etc in juan dolio.
Please stop calling juan dolio, south beach of the caribbean. JD doesnt have a 2% of what south beach has to offer.

Bronxboy

Jul 11, 2007
Please stop calling juan dolio, south beach of the caribbean. JD doesnt have a 2% of what south beach has to offer.

South Beach is not what it was.

I was there recently. There are only a handful of clubs opened. It look like a ghost town on a Saturday night.

sweetdbt

Bronze
Sep 17, 2004
The phone numbers Johnny posted are the same ones MommC gave 2 1/2 years ago for a hotel with the same description named the Plaza Perla. Only difference is they were 809 numbers instead of 829. It sounds like pretty much what I am looking for.

Matilda

RIP Lindsay
Sep 13, 2006
This is also apartments rather than a hotel, situated above Casablanca Bar. If you want a hotel there is also Fior de Loto a bit down the same street towards Guayacanes still in old Juan Dolio before you get to Aura. That is a hotel - in a very interesting building with rooms starting at 10 us$ a night. Tel: 809 526 1146

sweetdbt

Bronze
Sep 17, 2004
Thanks Matilda. As long as I can get a decent rate by the night and not the week, they can call it whatever they want! Not even that important to have daily maid service as I will be there 2 days max.

Matilda

RIP Lindsay
Sep 13, 2006
Fior di loto has a very indian feel, and is cosy but basic. But it is an hotel and the rest are apartments. But you are probably best in the apartments above casablanca. There are lots of restaurants and bars around there and the beach is nice.

Have fun!!!

sweetdbt

Bronze
Sep 17, 2004
Thanks Matilda. Is this far from your colmado? I'd like to stop bye, buy a cerveza and say hi. No matter if it isn't easy walking distance. I will have a car.

Matilda

RIP Lindsay
Sep 13, 2006
About as far as you can get!!! I am right at the other end!! The colmado is in Villas del Mar aka the building site, and the colmado is called MAr Azul opposite the Con Con restaurant. Love to see you. If I am not there just get the staff to call me and I will be there in 5 mins

matilda