Indian Motorcycles

Castellamonte

Bronze
Mar 3, 2005
Cabrera
www.villa-castellamonte.com
Hi all,

I have a couple of very nice 100th Anniversary (2001) Indian Spirit motorcycles I am considering bringing to the DR. I've been here for about 8 years so I know all of the dangers and idiocy of using a motorcycle here, so kindly refrain from those comments.

What I am interested in learning is if there is anyplace I can get these worked on? They have S&S Engines (like a Harley), 1433 ccs (if memory serves) and look like a cross between a Harley Softail Fat Boy and a Harley Road King.

Does anyone know if someone else has an Indian here or if the Harley dealers are competent at fixing them? I'm located on the North Coast in case that matters for recommendation purposes.

Thanks in advance!

Jason

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
Hi all,

I have a couple of very nice 100th Anniversary (2001) Indian Spirit motorcycles I am considering bringing to the DR. I've been here for about 8 years so I know all of the dangers and idiocy of using a motorcycle here, so kindly refrain from those comments.

What I am interested in learning is if there is anyplace I can get these worked on? They have S&S Engines (like a Harley), 1433 ccs (if memory serves) and look like a cross between a Harley Softail Fat Boy and a Harley Road King.

Does anyone know if someone else has an Indian here or if the Harley dealers are competent at fixing them? I'm located on the North Coast in case that matters for recommendation purposes.

Thanks in advance!

Jason
Magna Motors in Santo Domingo will prolly be able to help you. They import HD into the DR.

Additionally, the Bonanza Dominicana shop in SDQ also has some serious racer-boy mechanics that may be able to help. Compared to some of the modern crotch rockets, and bikes like our V-Stroms, wrenching a Harley or S&S is childs play. Heck, I can prolly help you there, but parts are practically non-existent.

That being said, a Harley or a derivative, overall, is the wrong tool for the job in the DR with the bad, poorly engineered roads and lack of maintenance shops. Sell them and bring a V-Strom, a BMW GS, Versys, Transalp, or other adventure-tourer is a much more suitable machine. They have modern technology, proper tires and transmissions, and forgiving suspensions.

Your Indians, while fine machines, will get beaten to hell in the DR.

If you want to ride a real adventure-tourer, drop me a PM, and let's set something up. I have 12 '08 Suzuki V-Strom DL650's.

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
Jason, hook up with Robert, he knows his stuff and runs a good bike tour. Great way to accumulate yourself to riding in the DR. Hell, you might be able to do an exchange ;)

Castellamonte

Bronze
Mar 3, 2005
Cabrera
www.villa-castellamonte.com
Excellent points and I tend to concur. I will sorely miss my Indians, though, they are superb machines for what they are designed to do. Plus, they are real pretty!
eBayISAPI.dll