Waterfront

AK74

On Vacation!
Jun 18, 2007
Anybody has info on new owner of Waterfront?

His plans about the future of the hotel? He is about to start a big construction work. For seven-eight months at least.

Did Robert sell the restaurant also? Or kept it for himself?
I do not see him for long time. Is he back to Santiago?

mambodog

Feb 29, 2008
I've heard rumours that the area round the "on the waterfront" may be developed with more of those "victorian" style condos that Perdomo or his backers build. They obviously regard them as classy. Presumably this means that they hope that they will sell, even as the world-wide property market collapses

Reactions: AK74

AnonTraveler

Aug 6, 2008
I sure hope they don't change the restaurant. That is a favorite of mine there in Sosua.

The "Victorian" buildings next door are Perdomo's? I was in one recently and noticed a lot of maintenance issues. Are those buildings real old?

mambodog

Feb 29, 2008
Depends what you mean by real old. I guess they have been there for about three years. I do not know who built or maintains them but the style is very much that of the Perdomo in-house architect (see Sosua News 16 March 2005)

AK74

On Vacation!
Jun 18, 2007
One of former reception girls that still sits there says that there will be a much bigger hotel. Not a good news for the small fragile beach and for Sosua in general in my opinion.

Unlike Cabarete, Sosua does not have much of a beach to afford mega-hotels with mega-numbers of tourists and big buses carrying them to and from in small local streets.

Danny W

Bronze
Mar 1, 2003
I wouldn't worry. If it is a larger hotel, it will mean more money for the local economy and probably a continuation of the improvement of the area.
Sosua is booming. Hopefully the world's economic problems won't have too much of an impact.

AK74

On Vacation!
Jun 18, 2007
I wouldn't worry. If it is a larger hotel, it will mean more money for the local economy and probably a continuation of the improvement of the area.
Sosua is booming. Hopefully the world's economic problems won't have too much of an impact.

I would agree with you without hesitation if we had here the same unlimited beach/coast line like in Cabarete that can accomodate thousands and thousands of additional tourists.

But Sosua is different. There is one central beach and two small beaches for the whole village. And with just several hundred extra tourists a day on them the risk of overuse and polution is very high, considering that no cleanning is practically done even now.

And if it happens, who will need Sosua with polluted unuseable beaches?

So, short-term, there may be some advantage for local economy ( if tourists from this new big hotel will want to go to eat outside of the hotel). But long-term , one can see a scenario of becoming a ghost town. Another Los Charamicos.

Who really needs Sosua without clean swimmeable beach? Anyone ever saw any waste/sewage cleanning facility of Casa Marina? EVERYTHING goes right into the sea.

So many beautiful but ecologically fragile places in the World were destroyed because of greed and overdevelopment already. Irrecoverably.

Did local populations benefit from this? Dare say - no. Money is taken away and deposited in foreign banks of the investors/developpers.

Seems strange to me that risk of overdevelopment (that can be more painful than underdevelopment) is not even mentionned on this Forum.

In most other similar places of the World plans of this big development (if it is true) would ignite mass protests of local people. Here we seem to be happy with it.