Conjunctivitis a.k.a. Pink Eye

shellygirl327

Jun 18, 2004
So today alone I have heard of 4 different people having pink eye in Bavaro and Higuey. Is this something that is going around or just a coincidence? Just curious since I know that it can be highly contagious. ;)

Thanks!

mamielizabeth

Feb 9, 2008
pink eye

I just read an article about this,maybe someone else can refresh my memory about where it was posted... I was wondering about this also ,Is this as common in the DR as it sounds? How is it treated???

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
There is an outbreak of conjunctivitis in the DR at the moment. Several people I know have been affected. DR1 news ran a story on it last Monday:

Conjunctivitis alert
The Dominican Ophthalmology Society is warning of a dramatic increase in conjunctivitis cases nationwide. The medical society also warns members of the public to avoid using medication that has not been prescribed by a doctor, as well as popular remedies such as washing eyes with soap, aloe vera or lime because this could burn the cornea. They advise that once a burning sensation is felt, the patient should refrain from touching their eyes, despite the discomfort. "Touching one's eyes will only make a simple infection become serious," says the society.
Both the current president of the Ophthalmology Society Cynthia Cunillera Batlle and her predecessor Herbert Stern recommend strict hygiene measures; avoid the use of cloth handkerchiefs, makeup and contact lenses.
The governor of Santiago could not attend the launch of Expo Cibao because he was suffering from conjunctivitis.

Despite what the doctors say about home remedies, I've used chilled chamomile tea compresses in the past and it is very soothing.

shellygirl327

Jun 18, 2004
I've been here for a few years and it's the first time I've heard about it. It is usually treated with drops or an eye ointment. It's not usually anything serious just uncomfortable and contagious. I did a search of threads because someone told me they saw it here too but I couldn't find anything.

cdngirl08

Aug 19, 2008
Keeping your hands clean will help prevent you from picking up or spreading pink eye. And if you get pink eye, try not to rub your eyes; use the eye drops. Always wash your hands...can't say it enough! If you can get a hold of hand sanitizer (the kind that dries on when you rub it in), even better. I'm a teacher and I've had pink eye more than once and I've learned the hard way! lol

Take care Shellygirl327!

planner

.............. ?
Sep 23, 2002
It was making the rounds in Costambar and Puerto Plata recently. I know several who have had it.

laurajane

Bronze
May 23, 2005
www.thecircusofdreams.com
I am in HIguey and yes i am sat here looking at this screen through two very dodgy looking swollen ayes, my daughter of 14 months also has the same. All the people who work for us have had it and is spreading like wild fire, I was also talking to friend in POP today and she said it is in full force there also.

Laura

laurajane

Bronze
May 23, 2005
www.thecircusofdreams.com
Also..

I took my little girl to the doctors today, I knew what she had and usually i avoid the doctors here, but as she is an infant i thought best to get his advice on suitable treatment. I visited four pharmacies and none of them have the drops, Now it is not unusual for me to have to visit two or three different pharmacies to fill a prescription however i have not been able to get my hands on the medication for her, perhaps due to the volume of people infected.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Laura, until you do manage to get those drops, try making weak chamomile (manzanilla) tea, chilling it and wiping it lightly over the eyes.

shellygirl327

Jun 18, 2004
Laura - let me know the name and how much you need and I will see if I can find it here and send it to you tomorrow if I find it.

shellygirl327

Jun 18, 2004
I am correcting my original post - it is now 5 people. Sorry to hear about your eyes LJ. Keep me posted on the meds.

May 31, 2005
While I was there last week four people that I know personally got this conjuntivitis stuff. It sure is going around.

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
I thought I was getting it 2 weeks ago. Used Oftalbiotic eye drops evening & again overnight - next morning it was virtually gone but I continued with drops for the rest of the day (3 or 4 times). Following day totally gone. Drops cost RD$230 & made by a Santo Domingo company, Ethical Pharmaceutical which has a good reputation according to a doctor friend.

I always keep 2 lots in the medicine cabinet all year round. Outbreaks are common here in DR. 2 lots because I will use one in the infected eye and the other in the non-infected eye. If using just one lot of drops sterilise top of drop bottle where it has touched infected eye, before putting in other eye.