Interest Rates

Ceasar Garcia

Oct 1, 2008
Does anyone know what the current Interest Rates paid on U.S. Funds are ?

I went to Banco Leon website and, it said nothing. I am trying to AVOID having to go to Banco Leon and, Banco Central and, spend all day there to find out.

Also, How long are the CD's for ? Can I down load the rules and regs in English ?

If I put my money in a CD will they pay me monthly into a checking or savings account ?

Any Information: PLEASE ???

Sanation

May 21, 2007
I made enquiries with our business banker at BHD a couple of weeks ago. The best rate we could get on US$ was about 3% on a 120 day term deposit.

The rate is much better for RD$ at around 16%. I am looking at converting a lumpsum of US$ to RD$ and putting in a term deposit.

The Peso has been extremely stable the last 6 months, so if you are prepared to hedge your bets, it could be a viable option.

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
The Peso has been extremely stable the last 6 months, so if you are prepared to hedge your bets, it could be a viable option.

The tasa has gone from 33.5 to 35 in that period, a 4.4% devaluation of the RD Peso.

How does one "Hedge" a large RD Peso position?

Sanation

May 21, 2007
How does one "Hedge" a large RD Peso position?

When I made the comment to 'hedge your bets' it was whether the OP is prepared to take a risk on exchanging US$ to RD$ in order to secure a substantially higher rate of interest.

If you want to get into the nitty gritty of the situation, here is Accounting 101 - Hedging is where by you reduce risk on an investment by offseting against another investment. In this case, you would hedge by exchanging your US$ to RD$ in order to receive a higher rate of interest which, in theory, will far exceed your expected return should you have only invested US$. Even taking into consideration a devaluation of 4.4% as previously suggested, you would be financially better off.

You do the math.

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
Sanitation:
You still failed to explain how one can "Hedge" against Foreign exchange risk in The Dominican Peso. The higher interest rate is used to attract investors in such a risky currency not as a "Hedge" against the peso going to 40.

If I am long EURUSD and short EC futures or covered calls, that is considered a "Hedge" against my downside currency risk in EURUSD.

The truth of the matter is, there is no organized derivatives market or Fx Swap market in the RDPUSD pair like the majors. One can certainly lock in to a current rate for future delivery of goods/services produced in RD Pesos, but that is not hedging oneself against Fx risk.

I certainly appreciate the introduction to accounting 101!

tambo'

Ceasar Garcia

Oct 1, 2008
transfer

I have been reviewing all posts. One other question instead of a certified check. Can I wire transfer the money from the States ?

I already have a peso account in B.P. I was going to open a Dollar account and, have my money wired transferred.

Can I then have them wire transfer my dollars into B.C. ???

Any Ideas ???

carlos

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 29, 2002
Tamborista

Have you never heard the term "hedge your bets"??? Hedge your bets - Idiom Definition - UsingEnglish.com

It is a commonly used phrase and was in no way said to suggest that the OP should enter in a 'formal' hedging arrangement.

Read the posts as they are written.

it's a misunderstanding

as alreadys stated, there is no Market in Dr for this type of financial arrangement. They key is short term holding of DOP vs USD.

very risky

Sanation

May 21, 2007
I have been reviewing all posts. One other question instead of a certified check. Can I wire transfer the money from the States ?

I already have a peso account in B.P. I was going to open a Dollar account and, have my money wired transferred.

Can I then have them wire transfer my dollars into B.C. ???

Any Ideas ???

I regularly transfer US$ to my Dollar Account and then change to Pesos as I need them. We do the same for our company accounts.

The bank will be able to give you the ABA/SWIFT code to enable you to transfer funds.

Ceasar Garcia

Oct 1, 2008
transfer

I think you are mis-understanding my question. My question is if Banco Central will accept a wire transfer from either my account in the States or from B.P. here ? Instead of a certified check. A certified check they put a bank hold on. It can be up to 120 days from my experience.

Sanation

May 21, 2007
You will be able to send a Wire Transfer from the States if you have a US$ bank account with Banco Central.

It usually takes 5 days for the funds to be credited to the account. I would recommend finding out an email address for the International Department in the bank and email them with details of the transfer so the funds can be processed as soon as they are received. Otherwise, they tend to disappear for a couple of weeks....