Don't try this!

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
It appears a Swiss gentleman in Cofresi was threatening 3 of his Swiss friends with a gun at the same time as a police patrol passed. He shot once at the friends and THEN at the police. Miraculously, no-one was hurt. He is very lucky to be alive. The Swiss being a peaceful type of nation might not have retaliated but the Police...................????

Please, if the Police catch you using compatriots for target practice, give in gracefully. They don't need too much of an excuse these days! :ermm:

POLICIA DETIENE SUIZO QUE AMENAZO CON ESCOPETA A COMPATRIOTAS

Puerto Plata Digital

Sometimes you have to ask about people's grasp on reality..............

Police got the last laugh, though. They took him to Ricardo Limardo Hospital for treatment on his cut hand (he had broken a window). Those of you who know Ricardo Limardo will know what I mean.

reese_in_va

Feb 22, 2007
The Swiss being a peaceful type of nation might not have retaliated but the Police...................????

What is this? Please don't stereotype a nation.
Stupid people do stupid things everyday.
If I want to read gossip and the like I will buy the "National Enquirer", thanks.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Oh come on Reese, I thought she was being funny!!!!

I do agree that stupidity is not reserved to any one nation....

HB

GardenCraft

Jun 12, 2007
I heard every Swiss household must have a gun in it.......to protect the nation if invaded. I'm not 100% sure but I am from Australia, which many Americans think is next door to Switzerland :)

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
Oh come on Reese, I thought she was being funny!!!!

I do agree that stupidity is not reserved to any one nation....

HB

Thank you HB for having both a sense of humour and the knowledge of a historian. Do we dare share with reese that Switzerland is a politically neutral country? That in 1815 the Congress of Vienna deemed Switzerland to be a neutral country, that Switzerland did not join Woodrow Wilson's proposed League of Nations until its official neutrality policy was accepted by all other members? Do we dare suggest that reese looks up the correct meaning of stereotype? Nah, it'd probably be lost............

Stereotyping a nation my posterior. :)

Why is Switzerland Regarded as a Neutral Country?

How Does Switzerland Always Stay Neutral?

I am from Australia, which many Americans think is next door to Switzerland :)

:laugh::laugh:

Last edited:

cdngirl08

Aug 19, 2008
Gardencraft,

From what I understand, you're correct. Not that long ago and it may still be the case in 2008, Switzerland was the most heavily armed nation in the world (more guns per capita than any other nation in the world because I think every household is supposed to own a rifle).

beeza

Silver
Nov 2, 2006
Gardencraft,

From what I understand, you're correct. Not that long ago and it may still be the case in 2008, Switzerland was the most heavily armed nation in the world (more guns per capita than any other nation in the world because I think every household is supposed to own a rifle).

And don't forget those little red penknives that are really useful for removing boyscouts from horses hooves and uncorking a bottle of wine.

Common Switzerland, time to cough up that Nazi gold. The World's going bankrupt!

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
(more guns per capita than any other nation in the world because I think every household is supposed to own a rifle).

Not sure that it is every household but members of the citizen army keep weapons and uniforms at home in readiness for immediate mobilisation, I believe.

Could someone let us in on the reference to Ricardo Limardo Hospital?

Ricardo Limardo is the public hospital and..............not where most expats go for treatment.

CyaBye3015

Bronze
Jan 8, 2003
And don't forget those little red penknives that are really useful for removing boyscouts from horses hooves and uncorking a bottle of wine.

Common Switzerland, time to cough up that Nazi gold. The World's going bankrupt!

OMG, tears are running down my face, thanks for the laugh.

A.Hidalgo

Silver
Apr 28, 2006
Ricardo Limardo is the public hospital and..............not where most expats go for treatment.

This is what a Christian mission to the DR said about the hospital.....
Medical supplies and packets of personal hygiene items were taken to Hospital Ricardo Limardo in Puerto Plata where patients in wards of 8 – 10 people are required to pay for everything. They have to supply their own bedding and food and may wait several days before being seen by a doctor.

On another note does anybody know who Ricardo Limardo was.....he might be turning in his grave.

Mission Trip

J D Sauser

Silver
Nov 20, 2004
www.hispanosuizainvest.com
<meta http-equiv="CONTENT-TYPE" content="text/html; charset=utf-8"><title></title><meta name="GENERATOR" content="OpenOffice.org 2.4 (Win32)"><style type="text/css"> <!-- @page { size: 8.5in 11in; margin: 0.79in } P { margin-bottom: 0.08in } --></style>
What is this? Please don't stereotype a nation.
Stupid people do stupid things everyday.
If I want to read gossip and the like I will buy the "National Enquirer", thanks.

:tired:

The Swiss being a peaceful type of nation ...

Well Ma'm, I thought that after knowing a certain person living only 2 blocks North of you, you would have had the opportunity to come to think differently. :D
Some Germans tend refer to the Swiss as "ein zaenkisches Bergvolk" (quarrelsome mountain nation), Hitler even referred to the small nation as "die Schweiz das kleine Stachelschwein" (a porcupine). :ermm:

And then again, didn't you know they are (well, they were) known to shoot apples from their son's heads? :surprised

They are neutral (actually, they WERE)... so, the Dominican police had no business getting into their internal Helvetian affairs anyways. :pirate:

On a more serious note:

I heard every Swiss household must have a gun in it.......to protect the nation if invaded. I'm not 100% sure but I am from Australia, which many Americans think is next door to Switzerland :)

No they must not, but in many cases they do or did:
Most Swiss healthy and physically fit male will have served military service between ages 18 to 27, it's mandatory although there a few ways around it (but it's not easy). If they did, they stay in reserve until age 50 and go back every now and then for a few weeks to keep up to day. Until most recently, they were to go home with the basic uniform and SEALED (but automatic) weapon and a sealed box of ammunition, so that if the army had to be called up, everyone would respond to their barracks in uniform armed.
Over the more recent years, there has been more and more controversy about the benefits of keeping automatic weapons in family homes versus the risks. Now, so I understand this "traditions" has been or will be abolished, and most military reserve will surrender their weapons when leaving service.
As an other big difference, the Swiss army has no military schools, academies or universities. Everybody starts equally by being automatically enlisted at age 18 (which can be delayed for reasons of studies etc.). Some will be forced to graduate up to a certain point, some will just choose to and others, after having graduated by that system up to Captain, may choose to make it a professional career... only very, very few are.
In peace time, there is no General. A General will be appointed by the government in case of calling the army to arms and it will only be one.
The army can by constitution never turn it's weapons against it's own people... in other words, it can never be used as a sort of police.

Neutrality has been compromised around the times of the Golf war (at least that's when it was officially admitted that it was). Which later allowed the Confederation to join the UN (which it until then only was hosted by Switzerland in Geneva on those very ground of neutrality).

Anyway... all this has little to do with ONE hot head, where ever he may have come from, shooting at whom ever.

... J-D.

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
On another note does anybody know who Ricardo Limardo was.....he might be turning in his grave.

He was known as Bubul 'Don Ricardo Limardo (Bubul), de Puerto Plata, ten?a unos bigotes que causaban singular admiraci?n. Una vez se los cort? a cambio de unos centenares de pesos para el hospital de Puerto Plata, que a prop?sito, lleva su nombre.' Other historic gems you can't live without here:

EL JAYA

BushBaby

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.casabush.org
Thanks for that J-D,
Sounds like an excellent model for the DOMINICAN armed forces!!!

I DO like the thought of your 'GOLF WAR' too!!
Sounds like a couple of people I know who take golf VERY seriously. The 'BUNKERS' tend to be a bit different though!!! ~ Grahame.