Whales at Las Terrenas?

PGerace

Feb 16, 2002
Saludos!
I know the bay of Samana is the place to be during whale watching season but does anyone know if you can also see whales off of the beaches of Playa Bonita or Las Terrenas?
Gracias.

RonS

Bronze
Oct 18, 2004
The short answer is no. I'm not sure if you can see whales from Las Galeras or Playa Rincon, but I've been in Las Terranas and Playa Bonita during whale season for the past five years and it has always been necessary for me to make the trip to Samana Bay to go out with Kim to see them. I would think that it is not deep enough for them to come close enough to be seen from Las Terranas or Playa Bonita.

WebDev

Jan 1, 2002
samana.net
Saludos!
I know the bay of Samana is the place to be during whale watching season but does anyone know if you can also see whales off of the beaches of Playa Bonita or Las Terrenas?
Gracias.

Hi Paul,

Like Ron said, NOT from Las Terrenas, but you can land base whale watching from other parts of Samana Peninsula see this link: Land-based
Whale watching season middle of January till middle of March.

Good luck!

WebDev

Reactions: rellosk

Grandma Jen

Jan 16, 2008
Whale watching

I would love to see the whales next year - can anyone recommend an hotel for a few nights stay?

thanks

DavidZ

Silver
Aug 29, 2005
www.vipcigartours.com
This hotel, Hotel Samana - Ballenas Escondidas - Charmes in Los Naranjos, on the way to Las Galeras, just a few km away from Samana. Sometime you can see the whales passing by from the balcony of your bungalow. Prices are reasonable, 50 to 60 euro for double.

WebDev

This place looks nice, with a great location...but they charge 20 euro extra for A/C during high season (for some reason it's half that, still pretty hefty at 10 euro, during off season)! I've also never seen "medical advice" listed as an amenity...are the owners doctors? :surprised:

WebDev

Jan 1, 2002
samana.net
This place looks nice, with a great location...but they charge 20 euro extra for A/C during high season (for some reason it's half that, still pretty hefty at 10 euro, during off season)! I've also never seen "medical advice" listed as an amenity...are the owners doctors? :surprised:

Sorry, don't know about "medical advice", we did not socialize with the owners to find any details of their life. I know we did not need A/C, was a weekend in January 2007, and we chose this place instead of La Tambora, next door, because of the location and the character of the place. Be prepared for a lot a steps, down to the beach, up to the parking, down to the pool, up to the bungalow, you get the picture? Otherwise the place is great!

Regards,
WebDev

faithie

Oct 29, 2008
Hi,
This is my 1st post, a real "newbie". Not certain if I'm supposed to start a new thread to bring this ttt or not? Usually post on Fodors & Thorntree but this place is No.1 for DR advice. We are a family of 4, 2 adults & 2 kids 12 & 10. We love off the beaten track, smallish hotels, beaching, snorkelling, hanging out. WE can fly from Montreal to Samana & we wanted to head to Hotel Las Ballenas Escondidas for 3-4 days then on to Las Galeras(Todo Blanco or Sol Azul) for the remainder. Our objecive is to see the Limon waterfalls, Playa Fronton & Madame, Playa Rincon, etc. WE don't mind moving from one hotel to the other & it;s what we normally do to see a little of each area....Any input, advice, tips, whatever...? 1st timers to DR.

susan77

Jan 19, 2008
Usually post on Fodors & Thorntree but this place is No.1 for DR advice
Hi Faithie-
Yes---this forum can answer ALL of your questions; but I suggest you ask SPECIFIC questions with separate subject lines for each rather than just ask for "advice and tips"-
When we were planning our first trip, I wrote out our tentative itinerary and got such excellent feed-back that we eliminated two towns and stayed exclusively in Las Terrenas- You should also use the great "search" feature on this forum---
Good luck!!

faithie

Oct 29, 2008
Thanx, I'll try.
I haven't figured ou "how" to post my own message yet....it's probably completely obvious.....but it's somehow escaping me...?
I didn't want to wander too much offtrack on someone elses thread & be accused of highjacking, lol!
I'll figure it out....