Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: General rant...

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Default General rant...

So just had a new baby and getting into the swing of things but getting very very irritated when Dominicans interfere with how you look after your baby! They tell you the most stupid of advice...for example, if you have been outside in the dark then you cant go near the baby. And, the mother and baby dont leave the house for 40 days after a baby is born. Talk about cabin fever!

But the most irriating is when strangers come up to you and tell you to straighten the babies head in the car seat. I cant even count the amount of people that have said it now and i cant be polite anymore. Im like, is it your baby? No so leave it alone! The worst was when some woman came up to me and went to straighten his head herself!!! I nearly attacked her. Can you believe just going to touch someones child that you dont even know!!! Then some guy in the bank yesterday was telling me my son was hungry when he was sucking his thumb. Erm, i think i know what my son needs and dont need some stranger coming telling me what i should be doing.

Is this the same in every country or is this a Dominican thing? Im getting tired of it very fast.....

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

First of all congratulations.

I don't think it's just a Dominican thing. At my age I find I have to bite my tongue when I see a baby and automatically want to say something. The summer is the hardest because I see little tiny babies in the freezing supermarket with no socks and little blue feet and legs. I don't think a new born has the same fat protection we do and need more warmth. Oops I'm doing it again.

Just smile and nod or you'll go crazy.

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

congrats!
    dominicans are superstitious but i bet they are more amazed by a car seat for a baby then by it's twisted head
    just relax, they do not mean anything bad and they love kids - hence touching and all the interest....

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

eralc777
    .....why not just thank them, chat it up a bit & go about your business. At the end of the day you might have made a couple of new friends and had a few chuckles about the "advice" you were given. When your baby looks up at you I'm sure he would rather see you smiling instead of stressed. Congratulations on your new little one!!!

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by AnnaC View Post
    Just smile and nod or you'll go crazy.
    Here's the best advice I've heard in a while!

Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

Have you been scolded yet for not putting socks on your child's feet, even though it's hot outside?

He'll get "gripe", you know...

Personally I think its' rather cute that you're getting all this advice. As for the woman touching your child, that's a tough one. But she was concerned-no harm, no foul.

Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

be willing to listen ! you never know you may learn something you dont already know.
    I would imagine the socks idea is based on the fact that you shouldnt go barefoot here and the one about not going near a baby after you have been out at night might be something to do with bringing mosquitos into the house.

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jrhartley View Post
    I would imagine the socks idea is based on the fact that you shouldnt go barefoot here and the one about not going near a baby after you have been out at night might be something to do with bringing mosquitos into the house.
    Have you thought of becoming a consultant JR?

terrible tambo'

Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

no but Im next in line for the moderators job

Post Thanks / Like

Congratulations eralc.

Quote Originally Posted by Berzin View Post
    Have you been scolded yet for not putting socks on your child's feet, even though it's hot outside?

He'll get "gripe", you know...
    I got that in a doctor's waiting room, from a woman who was giving her toddler a coke. Some of the beliefs, and the way some people dismiss your ways as wrong can be tedious to endure.

But as everyone says, they mean well. Wait till you visit the UK and get all the hostile vibes, then you'll appreciate the Dominican attitudes. I used to love the way restaurant staff would take the baby away and play with him so that we could enjoy our meal in peace.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast