I didn't get a stamp "out" in Canada, can this be problematic for me?

mariel

Dominisueca
Apr 7, 2004
I visited Ottawa for 5 days and got a stamp "in" my (European) passport. The day I left, I checked in online with AC and got my boarding passes in a machine. Then I ate and proceeded to the gate (since that's what I do here and within Schengen). I realized I didn't have a stamp "out" as I was already seated on (in?) the plane. On arrival in Europe they didn't check that so I came home with no problems, but does this mean I'm in trouble if I want to go back to Canada? I'm not planning to go back anytime soon but I'll keep my boarding pass and itinerary so that I can show I didn't stay there more than I said I would. If you guys don't know, can you tell me which governmental department I can contact and ask about this?

I'm going to need the same info as above for the USA as well (not me but someone in my household).

Dominican living in Sweden. TIA.

La Profe_1

Moderator: Daily Headline News, Travel & Tourism
Oct 15, 2003
US Information

When I traveled with a young Dominicana who needed surgery and received it in the US, Immigration stapled a white form at the back of her passport.

That white form was collected at the gate as she boarded the plane.

As a Dominicana, she obviously needed a visa to enter the US. I am not sure how it works with Schengen visas, but you would know if the form was placed in the passport and subsequently collected.

mariel

Dominisueca
Apr 7, 2004
Thank you so much for your input. The US form in question is a green one and it wasn't collected at the gate and we don't want to get in trouble because nobody collected the green form or, in my case, I forgot to go through immigration. Note that these are 2 problems that happened to me and someone else while traveling separated.

When I traveled with a young Dominicana who needed surgery and received it in the US, Immigration stapled a white form at the back of her passport.

That white form was collected at the gate as she boarded the plane.

As a Dominicana, she obviously needed a visa to enter the US. I am not sure how it works with Schengen visas, but you would know if the form was placed in the passport and subsequently collected.

Fiesta Mama

Bronze
Jan 28, 2004
My mother-in-law from Spain came to stay with us in Canada for five weeks earlier this year (Spanish passport). Her passport was stamped at immigration on the way into Canada. However, on the way out, you just check your bags and then go through security and onto the plane. There is no where to have your passport stamped on the way out (not like in the Dominican when they stamp you on the way out when you hand in your tourist card).
The form that you have to hand back in the U.S. is when you require a ?Visa? to enter the country. For example, my husband, who is Dominican, has a Dominican passport and has a 10 year U.S. Visa in his Dominican passport. So, when we cross the border, even though he has a Visa to enter, he still has to fill out a form to say he has actually entered and they staple it to his passport and it?s good for six months I believe. We always hand it back in when we leave either at the airport to the boarding agent who takes your ticket when you get on the plane or at the land border crossing to the agent who asks you the questions in your car. However, we have been told that if we were to be entering again within the six-month allotment, we can keep it until the next trip so that we don?t have to get out of our car and fill in the form every time. We always hand it in just in case we don?t go again within six months so he won?t have a problem entering in the future in case they think he never left.
So, that being said, I don?t know whether Canada also has those forms, but in any event they only apply if you require a Visa to enter Canada in the first place (i.e. a Visitor?s Visa, etc.) so with a European passport you have nothing to worry about.

Hope that helps.

simpson Homer

Bronze
Nov 14, 2003
Stamp Arrival and Departure

Arriving: Sometimes they dont even stamp passport but the make sure is not
fake douments, if staying for vacation just have to have all paper work together return ticket and hotel reservations some cases they call the
place to confirm you stay or the travel agent.
They know their jobs

Leaving:

CBSA in Canada knows who leave and who stay, they dont stamp out because the airline pass on the information or copy of the passenger list. their system are all connected if they see that there is something wrong
immidiatly they will call an agent.

For the USA:

In 2005, I was concerned about that little paper that I forgot to passed on
in Miami so when I had my second trip to the USA. I told the immigration
about it and told me that they have tons of people not returning that Admited Pass that was not a big deal. For what I asume that when they swipe the passport they can find out everything they want to know.

driving out of the USA - Canada they dont check you out or Stamp out
Port of entry take care so they work together and prob. the do the same thing for some countries.

Better example in Canada:

Mexico doesnt need Visa to visit Canada,so every summer over 300 PAX
weekly arriving from different cities of Mexico on a charter flights to my Hotel
so imagine other destination in Canada.
most of the Mexican they dont get stamp upon arrival and never when they
are leaving.

the Tour Director told me the same thing not stamp out. But they know who left the Country.

I wont be worried but if you want to call CBSA and make you feel better then go ahead.

May 22, 2006
Canada Imigration don't put any exit stamps on the passeport. Maybe on some
special situations only... so don't worry... its OK.

La Mariposa

Bronze
Jun 4, 2004
On my Canadian passports, from August 88 till now:

- Canada never stamped the exit and stamped 2 times the entry ( and there were a lot of exits and entries)
- USA stamped only the entry
-British Virgen Island, Martinique, St-Lucia and other islands stamped only the entry

Only the D.R. and the La Guadeloupe stamped entry and exit.

edm7583

May 29, 2007
I second that. In all the countries I have ever visited, only a few stamp passports on exit. For me, the Dominican Republic, Estonia, and Iceland are the only exit stamps in my passport, and i've visited nearly 30 countries. In the United States, Canada, Mexico, and many others, the procedure is more or less the same. The airline reports your departure to immigration. (Fot the US make sure when you check in the airline takes your I94 form, or I94W if you entered under the visa waiver program. This applies to all foreigners except Canadian citizens)

mariel

Dominisueca
Apr 7, 2004
Thank you all very much. I was afraid I'd get in trouble if I entered Canada again because in DR they stamp you in and out.

BTW, you people living in Ontario: what a great place!