Mold and/or Mildew

aross

Nov 15, 2007
I have done a Search for an answer with no luck.

I have several suitcases that have been stored in a spare bedroom on top of a closet in an open space and they now have mold all over the outside of them. I think I know the cause (lack of air circulation and I am now running the fan 24 hours a day with windows open) but in the meantime what can I now do to get rid of the mold on the suitcases and that may be in the area where they were stored.

Thanks for your help.

jrhartley

Gold
Sep 10, 2008
there is a thing you can get with crystals in that absorb the moisture in cupboards -something to do with hippos but I cant remember the exact name

aross

Nov 15, 2007
Silica Gel, it comes in a variety of brands. I think we use Damp Rid at my villa for our owners closet and it works very well.

I have seen the small packets that come with cameras and other small electrical devices. Are there larger packets available to buy anywhere in the Cabarete/Sosua area? They will be great to eliminate moisture build up but so far the diluted Clorox (thanks to sarduyjorge for that suggestion but will it bleach the material?) is the only solution to eliminate the existing mold on the suitcases. Are there other solutions?

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
OxiClean will get rid of the mold on your luggage without affecting the color!

Sanation

May 21, 2007
An old fashioned remedy would be to use a vinegar solution (1 part white vinegar to 2 parts water) to sponge over the case. Leave out in the sun to dry.

Bleach won't actually kill mould - it will only change its colour, leaving spores.

Once you have cleaned the cases, I would spray with a disinfectant surface spray.