Travel To Cuba.

Feb 15, 2005
Hello please advise.

1. Can Dominicans travel to Cuba with just their cedulas?

2. Which US Citizen has has traveled to Cuba from DR? Any suggestions?

montreal

Bronze
Apr 17, 2006
Cuba requires a passport for all visitors.

I cannot help you about the tourist card/visa necessary for Dominican visitors though, sorry :cry:

Mar 2, 2008
I have traveled to Cuba twice, but both times under a license granted by the US Department of State.

If you want to travel to Cuba you can travel from the DR with your US passport. The Cuban immigration will not stamp it going in or out. They get many visitors from the US, so they are used to the process. They want to encourage any and all tourism.

The only problem you might encounter is when you return to the US. They may ask why your passport was stamped "out and in" of the DR, without any corresponding "in and out" stamps from the country you visited, but unless you turn yourself in, nothing can be proven. Most people say something along the lines of, they went on a party trip, but were too drunk to remember where they went.

LatinoRican

Apr 11, 2004
That last "problem" can be solved by slipping $20 U.S. to the Immigration Officer with your passport when both leaving SD for Cuba and upon your return and asking him/her not to stamp it. Don't be afraid. They know the drill. Besides, nothing ventured, nothing gained.

Last edited:

edm7583

May 29, 2007
It's not exactly "visa on arrival". For citizens of the Dominican Republic, the entry requirements are the same as US Citizens: Passport valid for at least 6 months from arrival and a tourist card. The tourist card must be purchased before arriving in Cuba. They can be purchased at the departing airport from Cubana or from the travel agency that sold you the flight/package. You will need to have one before boarding the aircraft. Note that the only people who can enter Cuba with a tourist card are bona fide tourists. If you are coming for any other reason (journalism, study, diplomatic, etc.) you must have a visa.

As a US citizen, you will most likely be questioned by Cuban Immigration about your visit a little more than others. This always happens to me. They always seem to be pariculary interested in finding out my occupation at home. It mostly goes like this:
"What is the puropse of your trip to Cuba?"
"Have you been here before?"
"Do you know anybody living in Cuba?"
"Where do you live now?" "What is your occupation?" "What cities will you be visitng and where will you be staying.? "Show me proof of hotel confirmation, please."
This scenario happens all the time to me but they are always polite and friendly about it. Of course, as a US citizen, I have never been to any other country where I was questioned by immigration so much before entering.

Last edited:

chibani

Oct 29, 2007
They always seem to be pariculary interested in finding out my occupation at home. It mostly goes like this:
"What is the puropse of your trip to Cuba?"
"Have you been here before?"
"Do you know anybody living in Cuba?"
"Where do you live now?" "What is your occupation?" "What cities will you be visitng and where will you be staying.? "Show me proof of hotel confirmation, please."
This scenario happens all the time to me but they are always polite and friendly about it. Of course, as a US citizen, I have never been to any other country where I was questioned by immigration so much before entering.
These are typical questions asked by US immigration officers to european visitors.

edm7583

May 29, 2007
These are typical questions asked by US immigration officers to european visitors.

As it should be. They are entering the United States. But this is different. It just seemed funny that a tinpot dictatorship would be so picky choosy about who they let in.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
As it should be. They are entering the United States. But this is different. It just seemed funny that a tinpot dictatorship would be so picky choosy about who they let in.

In exactly what way is it different? Every country in the world has the right to refuse entry to anyone they want, and customs has not only the right, but the obligation to insure the people they are letting into the country are desirables. Cuba has this same right. In their way of thinking many Americans are undesirable.

Sholly24

I'm an athiest loving Obama fan!
Mar 5, 2006
Nothing but love in Cuba

In exactly what way is it different? Every country in the world has the right to refuse entry to anyone they want, and customs has not only the right, but the obligation to insure the people they are letting into the country are desirables. Cuba has this same right. In their way of thinking many Americans are undesirable.

I would not agree that Cubans think that many Americans are undesirable. In fact the opposite is my belief based on my visits to Cuba (6 times). Everywhere that I visit in Cuba, all they show me is nothing but love once they find out that I am American Eventhough some of them may not support the American government policy towards Cuba but they are smart enough to know the difference between American citizens and the American government.

Also my experience as an American in Cuba is also entirely different from edm7563's experience. All my travel to Cuba has been unlicensed (illegal) but they always let me through like a breeze without any hassle. The only thing that they would is where I am staying for their record purposes. That is a standard question that they ask everybody whether American, Canadian, Italian or Chinese.

Cubans who work in hotels/restaurants/cabs etc will easily tell you that the Americans are the best tippers in the world;). They love us everywhere in Cuba and even much more than those Canadians!

And those French-Canadians....uufff!

Sholly

Vintage

Aug 26, 2008
us citizens cannot fly to cuba from the united states
us citizens are banned from this

but a us citizen can fly from different countries there
just not from the us

Feb 15, 2005
I understand from the replies that a US citizen will have no problem going from DR with an unstamped passport and that a Dominican will need a standard DR passport as well.

edm7583

May 29, 2007
I didn't mean to say that they give the impression that they don't want Americans to visit. Far from it. There's less anti-americanism in Cuba than there is in Canada. The people can't wait for the embargo to be lifted. And I'm not denying that they have the right to know who and what is coming into their country, just like any other in the world. It just seemed silly and strange to be questioned before entering another country as a US Citizen since, in multiple trips to over 30 nations around the world, this has never happened before. No more than a glance and a stamp and that's it.