Drug mules travelling with children??????

Tallman1818

Nov 19, 2007
What's with there couple traveling as drug mules with their children???
Does anyone here have more details about this case??

http://www.listindiarioPareja brit?nica acompa?ada por hijos de 5 y 7 a?os detenida con 4.5 kilos coca
- 10/3/2008

HIGUEY.- Una pareja de esposos brit?nicos, acompa?ados de sus hijos menores, fue detenida ayer por la Direcci?n Nacional de Control de Drogas (DNCD) cuando trataban de viajar a Inglaterra con tres paquetes de coca?na, con un peso superior a los 4.5 kilos, en un vuelo comercial.

La pareja fue identificada como Nelly Catherine Cardigan y Daniel Marcus Patterson, quienes se propon?an abordar el vuelo 5232, de Thomson Fly, con destino a Londres. Los ni?os tienen edades de cinco y siete a?os, respectivamente, dijo la DNCD en un comunicado.

El informe de la DNCD indica que la embajada brit?nica ser? informada del caso en las pr?ximas horas, como se estila cuando un extranjero es arrestado por violar la Ley 50-88.

.com/app/article.aspx?id=76022

Last edited by a moderator:

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
Unfortunately not the first time it has been done. A previous case I read the drugs were hidden in toddler's diapers - it goes across nationalities too. I've also read of French and Italians being caught smuggling drugs out of here when they were on a 'family' holiday.

Tallman, you link didn't work for me but here it is, plus two more:
La Rep?blica - Pareja brit?nica acompa?ada por hijos de 5 y 7 a?os detenida con 4.5 kilos coca

http://www.elcaribecdn.com/articulo_multimedios.aspx?id=186614&guid=41040C3CD50044FD8CD9EFA1F25DDA0D&Seccion=63

El Nacional, la voz de todos

Feb 7, 2007
This story also has a human aspect to it...

Today while making copies of some notarial action documents for my company here in Higuey, came a guy (messenger) to make copies of some passports. He was standing right next to me and I saw 4 UK passports... two of them with childrens' photos.

I inquired and yes, those were the passports of the English family detained at PUJ airport with 4.5 kgs of cocaine. What two sweet little boys... blond hair, almost angelic.

The kids will be sent to Santo Domingo orphanage, as the guy told me, while the case is pending. Problem is that even though they are children, they are stil involved in the case, and it's a case where the offence (by the controlled substance quantity) is punishable by 10 to 30 years. In the (not so near) future the British consulate might be able to get the custody of the kids and get them sent to the family or friends in the UK.

What all of us right there agreed that the kids will be suffering a lot, being in an environment where they don't understand neither the language nor what is going on. They will be surrounded by people who will not be able to take care of their needs and the consulate, if working hard and steady, might get the custody of them in several weeks or months. MAYBE they (the children) will be home for Christmas... Christmas without their parents, though.

Matilda

RIP Lindsay
Sep 13, 2006
I do not condone drug smuggling in any way shape or form and they deserve everything that they get. What I do not understand though, is how murderers - dominican - can get out of jail by paying 1,000US$ and tourists who smuggle drugs cannot get out by paying?? I think neither should be able to get out, but why can one and not the other?

Matilda

Stodgord

Bronze
Nov 19, 2004
I do not condone drug smuggling in any way shape or form and they deserve everything that they get. What I do not understand though, is how murderers - dominican - can get out of jail by paying 1,000US$ and tourists who smuggle drugs cannot get out by paying?? I think neither should be able to get out, but why can one and not the other?

Matilda

Maybe is because foreigners are a flight risk. Can slip out through Haiti or take a boat to Puerto Rico and never come back. And once in their own turf, it would be difficult to bring them back. On the other hand a Dominican on the lam, in another country is easily deportable.

cdngirl08

Aug 19, 2008
The kids are in an orphanage and may be there for weeks or months? Oh for lack of sense!! Part of the case or not, what are the kids going to do..testify against their parents?? Were they even aware of what was going on and if so...so what! Those kids should be sent home to the UK..no delay. To keep them in the DR after all they've been through as far as I'm concerned is cruel and unusual punishment. Protocol and regulations be damned! These are under-aged minors who should be protected and not subjected to further trauma...like someone said..in an environment where they don't speak the language, etc. For a country that prides itself on its love of children, this is absolutely appalling and pathetic!

BushBaby

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.casabush.org
Let us not be TOO quick to damn the authorties for lack of compassion as we are not sure at the moment of what the British Embassy is doing in this matter. It is my understanding (rightly or wrongly) that they are trying to contact relatives in the UK who may be encouraged (if any is needed) to come to the DR & take responsibility for the children.

Let us see how this plays out a bit further before getting too hot under the collar. ~ Grahame.

Squat

Tropical geek in Las Terrenas
Jan 1, 2002
So, just as Main Street has to bail out the Wall Street Golden Boys...

It is perfectly ok for police, military, politicians and government officials to be heavily involved in the major drug trade that is happening right in front of our nose...

But when some dumb Europeans have the stupid idea to try to make some extra cash by carrying a pack of drugs to their nation, they get the heavy load of punishment !

This is just so typical !!!

If you're a fat cat, go ahead, be a drug lord ! If you're a poor slob... Watch out !!!

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
But when some dumb Europeans have the stupid idea to try to make some extra cash by carrying a pack of drugs to their nation, they get the heavy load of punishment !
True incident, witnessed with my own eyes:

While picking up a load of our tour guests in April at STI around 1 pm, we saw a slender 20-something European male (I say European because his dress, grooming and mannerisms seemed consistent with Italian/French tourists I've seen) being marched by a DCNC officer, drawn weapon in one hand (and loaded, no doubt, with the intent to ~ues~ it), unleashed German Shepherd at his side, kilo (my guess) of white powder in a plastic bag in the other hand, marching toward a DCND SUV parked curbside.

My first thought was "what a friggin' Mo Ron that guy was...".

I doubt Mr. European's holiday in Paradise ended well...

barbara.w.

Zapped
May 15, 2008
Many Questions

... kilo (my guess) of white powder in a plastic bag in the other hand, marching toward a DCND SUV parked curbside...

This brings up questions:
- Where did the powder bag come from?
- Where will it end up?
- Did the European really have the stuff on him?

Anyway, these incidents raise more questions than there are answers...
Squat is right.

Bayx-**

May 30, 2008

Matilda

Unfortunate, is the way the legal system work in DR. I heard a lot of stories about Dominican's drug dealers.... got caught in the airport ...serve a year in prison or so and then miraculous are allow to fight out the country again.

So that is just the way things are done here.

Matilda

RIP Lindsay
Sep 13, 2006
This case has got me thinking. We all know that embassies from whatever country are not that much help when you are in trouble. Not necessarily as they do not want to help but because they are bound by diplomatic protocol. For example in this case the children are the 'responsibility of the Dominican Government". The embassy cannot select a lawyer for the accused drug smugglers, just advise that they need a laywer etc etc. I Know of cases where ex pats are helping other ex pats in trouble - in jail or in hospital as they happened to know them. I was very lucky to have a few english and US friends who helped me, and I know how important that is.

So to get to the point!!! Is there not a way where there can be a network of people from different countries on some sort of standby to help people from their country or with their language who are in trouble, as the embassies can only do so much?? Maybe approved by the embasy or teh Dominican government. Much as I hate anything to do with drugs, as a human being I would visit these people in Jail if they were a bit nearer to me and help them with communication with the UK and translate for them as I am sure they do not speak spanish. And like otheres on this forum I would of course take the kids if I was allowed to until someone picks them up from the UK. Can you imagine what it is like for them now??? Can you imagine how you would feel if it was you? However much wrong you have done? Imagine what a lifeline it would be if you had someone who could send emails for you, or bring you food etc. Fine if you have friends here, but what if you do not? If you were a tourist? Does anyone have the figures on how many tourists are now in jail in DR?

Maybe there is some organisation which helps?

Any thoughts?

Matilda

Matilda

RIP Lindsay
Sep 13, 2006
Thanks Chirimoya. I have registered as a potential visitor. I was not just thinking of jail - also hospital, violent crimes and any help that people needed when they were here alone and wanted a friendly face.

Matilda

Reactions: Rocky

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
Is there not a way where there can be a network of people from different countries on some sort of standby to help people from their country or with their language who are in trouble, as the embassies can only do so much?? Maybe approved by the embasy or teh Dominican government...................

Maybe there is some organisation which helps? Any thoughts?

I'd be against a formalised system of help & support among expats. Very easy for it & the individuals within it to be taken advantage of and then the helping individuals would lose their goodwill & motivation. I think there are those of us who get approached informally Matilda ;) or who volunteer ourselves. I adopt certain criteria: I will help those I'm pretty certain are wrongly imprisoned (the others can go to the wall, as far as I'm concerned). I won't look after people's children but they'd be grateful if they knew my parenting skills :cheeky:. Where it is a long term incarceration on dubious grounds I will & have, support a relative who comes out here to help their imprisoned son or daughter. I want to see some motivation from the family/friends before I offer help. Sometimes if family back in the home country aren't prepared to help, there's a reason.

There is something called Prisoners Abroad for Brits, anyway.

I know the work of Fair Trials Abroad and they were excellent. Stephen Jakobi came out here over an imprisoned British woman we were helping in 2004. The woman was totally innocent. I'm still in touch with this woman's mother - we became friends during the 4 months she lived in PP to visit her daughter. When I was back in UK in 2007 for a medical visit, we met for lunch. Daughter still has after effects from the experience of the PP prison!
There was a DR1 thread on the subject
http://www.dr1.com/forums/general-stuff/30359-english-woman-jailed-west-indies-dominican-republic.html

I agree it would be easier to volunteer if the victims were known to be innocent: victims of crime here or sick in hospital. As an ex-probation officer I feel I have certain skills with regard to the imprisoned fraternity particularly in shooting holes through a 'story' & of course I'm not thrown by the jails here. So my volunteering to help tourists is geared to this area.

Last edited:

laurajane

Bronze
May 23, 2005
www.thecircusofdreams.com
I agree with Matilda on many counts. I of course do not condone drug smuggling however as i am local to the both of the accused brits i am planning to visit the woman tomorrow. I would like to offer my home to the children at least until the children can return to the U.K however i believe this could take months. I do not think this is possible, however i will offer to help in any way possible with regards to the children.

These two people are beyond stupid, however it seems they will get more than what they deserve being in prison here for the next god knows how many years. I will take a few essentials to her and maybe i can help translate the severity of her problem to her and maybe contact family members on her behalf. I am not a nosey do gooder and don't thrive on drama and like a quiet life but i feel that i can at least offer to help as far as the children are concerned.

Poor kids!

Tallman1818

Nov 19, 2007
Unfortunately not the first time it has been done. A previous case I read the drugs were hidden in toddler's diapers - it goes across nationalities too. I've also read of French and Italians being caught smuggling drugs out of here when they were on a 'family' holiday.

Tallman, you link didn't work for me but here it is, plus two more:
La Rep?blica - Pareja brit?nica acompa?ada por hijos de 5 y 7 a?os detenida con 4.5 kilos coca

http://www.elcaribecdn.com/articulo_multimedios.aspx?id=186614&guid=41040C3CD50044FD8CD9EFA1F25DDA0D&Seccion=63

El Nacional, la voz de todos

Thanks, I had problems with my server at the time of posting.