18 year old new yorker going to study in Santo Domingo Need Help Please

Deserteagle

Oct 4, 2008
First post x.x

So I'm a guy whose been living in NYC for basically my entire life. However, that's all gonna change in December as I'm going to study engineering in Santo Domingo. I am 100% percent Dominican and speak a pretty fluent spanish so assimilating into society shouldn't be too difficult for me. However, most people say i don't look dominican. Probably cuz my skin is fairly light (a light tan), my hair is semi-straight, and I'm not loud. =)

So in light of this, I have a few basic questions:
1) Is the crime rate really as bad as they say? Like if i were walking down the street with my mp3 player, what are the chances someone would try to rob me? Bear in mind that i live in a not so great part of NYC and don't find it to be a problem. Just don't be stupid and you'll be okay is my motto.

2) How is the style of clothing in DR different from US? I like wearing straight leg jeans (not baggy) and a semi-tight t-shirt (loose enough to let you breathe but tight enough to show your progress at the gym). I also like wearing shorts, will that be a problem? Also, if you can point to specific name brands that are popular i would appreciate it =)

3) I'm also wondering if my faux hawk hairstyle (kinda like David Beckham) will be a problem in DR. Would i stick out too much?

4) I'm also curious as to how easy i can find a good job. I went to a good high school and majored in computer science. I have pretty decent knowledge of programming languages, databases, networking, and just general computer stuff. I also know how to play a few instruments and know how to handle musical equipment. Will this knowledge help me in getting a job? Say a business company or electronics store or something?

Thanks for any and all help

Last edited:

johnny

Bronze
Feb 8, 2003
hausenland.com
you wont have any problem being accepted into dominican society, in most private college (i bet you are going to a private school), we dont really like yorkers(dominican york), they are just accepted in the poor barrios. for what you say you dont fit into dominican york.
they normally use baggy, wide leg jeans, big t-shirts, big fake gold chain, they are very loud. etc, they mostly emigrated when they are already young, so most of them dont even speak english, or just some words, they do not say any word in english in NY, but they do it here, just trying to impress in the barrios.

just use your common sense and you wont have any problem being robed in the streets. I had never been robed here in santo domingo, but i always use my car to move everywhere. so, i cant really tell you about people walking with mp3. there is a lot of people always during daytime walking, so i dont see many chances to be robed.
I use my ipod just to jogging in Ave. El mirador sur. not problem at all.
lot of people doing the same.

dominican medium class and up, wear just like any american in college.
more than 50% go to the gym, so we need to show off the muscles.
CK, DKNY, Armany, Tommy Hilfiger, Polo, as well as D & G are very popular into the youngs. tank top and bermudas as well, but not for college, you can use it for going to the beach, at home, or at the fitness center.
for the beach. Tommy swim trunks or Nautica are ok. DO NOT USE BIKINI here, just chopos with beer belly and gay do that.

if you hair style is like beckham, you will have lot chicas asking for autografos.

jobs, are not easy for a college student here. at least are not well paid. your best chances are to get a job in a call center. they are always looking for english speaking and knowledge of computer. for what i heard, they pay well.
good luck and enjoy the country.

Kyle

Silver
Jun 2, 2006
you'll be look at as a Dom-York. thought nothing bad, just go and enjoy yourself. don't let the chicas get you bad grades !! :laugh:

wuarhat

I am a out of touch hippie.
Nov 13, 2006
Is the crime rate really as bad as they say? Like if i were walking down the street with my mp3 player, what are the chances someone would try to rob me?

I've heard of an instance of a person being killed in a cell phone robbery, but but I didn't hear the details. Except that it wasn't in Santo Domingo and it was by gunfire. I have one friend who has had two cell phones stolen in Santo Domingo, but I don't think either was in a holdup or any other type of face to face robbery involving violence or the threat thereof.

I would be more concerned about the propensity that kind of stuff has to grow legs. Keep it all out of sight, and don't leave anything nice anywhere close to where there is public foot traffic.

The police like to shake you down for bribes. My experience is they will stop you and say that they observed you doing something illegal that is totally fabricated. Most of the times this has happened to me I had to talk to them for fifteen or twenty minutes denying all of their allegations until they got the message that I wasn't giving them any money. At that point without exception they get friendly and say, "OK, no problema.", and wave me on. One time one cop actually got in my car and made me drive him around for awhile while his partner followed me, under the pretense that we were going to the station where something real bad was going to happen to me. I told him that he was trying to steal money from me and that I wasn't just going to hand it over. Then he told me to stop, got out of the car, and went back to talk to his partner. When he came back it was the same line, "OK, no problema, beat it."

I have heard of alot of hanky panky going on with debit/credit cards mostly at gas stations and not in Santo Domingo.

One other type of crime that I've been familiarized with, and I believe is fairly common in Santo Domingo, can be easily averted by making sure that any time you get gas in your car you watch the attendant zero out the meter.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Where are you planning on studying? this will affect how you dress and how you behave.
You can be a chopo or a hood or you can try and become a successful engineering student. A lot depends on who you hook up with, since a lot of losers also try to do college...

I would not worry about crime, if you don't go looking for trouble it usually won't come looking for you. Again, a matter of who you hang with.

HB