Artist Stuff shopping in DR

Facility

Sep 3, 2008
Dear All,

We are planning to move to the DR, North Coast, for rather a longish stay shortly. My Beloved, being a painter, now packs lots of canvases, paper and dyes to last her for at least half a year.
Foreseeing a hefty overweight, I checked the forums and could not find anything about artist stuff like that being in supply in the DR.

Please, can anyone advise, whether there are any shops for artists on the North Coast, or they might be in the Capital, or we will have to take care of our supplies ourselves?

Sincerely,

juanita

Bronze
Apr 22, 2004
Lots of artists shops in Santo Domingo...easy access one is CCC in Plaza Central.

johnny

Bronze
Feb 8, 2003
hausenland.com
the best artist shop in santo domingo is LA ESTRELLA DE BELEN, in ave. Romulo betancourt. in front of CECOMSA. you will find anything you need there.
809 535 2604
809 533 9335
call them and you will see that you wont need to pack manythings.

jrhartley

Gold
Sep 10, 2008
the original poster was after art supplies on the north coast- la serena in santiago has a limted supply of art stuff (mainly for the not so serious artist I think)and there are a couple of art shops in puerto plato -arte market and one I dont know the name of, I havent checked out their supplies yet.

There must be canvasses for sale somewhere since there are so many paintings around...perhaps they must make them themselves

Abuela

Bronze
May 13, 2006
Abraxas bookstore in Puerto Plata has some art supplies.They are in the same building below the US & Candian Consulate offices.

expatsooner

Bronze
Aug 7, 2004
Depending on your amount of disposable income and time (and Spanish ability) your partner might want to look into taking some courses at Altos de Chavon in La Romana while you are there. I have friends who have taken courses there and feel that the time and money were well spent. Even if courses are out of the question you should plan a trip to see the town.

Facility

Sep 3, 2008
We have no certain plan of action yet, well, you know how the artists (especially - women artists) are. The idea is to start someplace at Sosua and move along the coast to see what there is to see and paint whatever she feels like to paint.
Thank you for your advice, though, I will propose the school and I know that my wife will appreciate this.