View Poll Results: Have you or someone you know contracted an STD in the DR?

Voters
148. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

37 25.00%
  • No

111 75.00%
Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: STDs and the DR

Poll's Forum Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like

Default STDs and the DR

Have you or someone you know contracted an STD in the DR?

A) Yes

B) No

Poll originator: Sammytheman

-NALs

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

Everyone is always saying Aids is rampant in DR and all the girls in the street are sick, I have been coming regularly for 16 years now and all the girls are pretty healthy as far as I can see. So I believe that there is no more of a risk of an STD in DR than any other country in my opinion.I also haven't been a saint while coming here for those 16 years and knock on wood I have never caught anything in DR.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by badpiece33 View Post
    Everyone is always saying Aids is rampant in DR and all the girls in the street are sick, I have been coming regularly for 16 years now and all the girls are pretty healthy as far as I can see. So I believe that there is no more of a risk of an STD in DR than any other country in my opinion.I also haven't been a saint while coming here for those 16 years and knock on wood I have never caught anything in DR.
    Looks can be deceiving!!

You have never caught anything because you obviously are using protection if dealing with a "chica".

Even if you have a steady girlfriend that you see a few times a year, you have to make sure that she remains loyal only to you in order to not use protection. You can not make sure that she will not cheat in order to not use protection . How about unwanted babies AND then................headaches

So the best advise is USE PROTECTION

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Give me a break!

I think you haven't caught anything because you've been very lucky. You certainly don't seem too clever. You can't tell if someone has AIDS or any other STD by just looking at them. Someone who appears healthy could very well have an STD. Don't you know anything??? It's unbelieveable that in this day in age, people are still spouting these sorts of a** backward comments!

I think the health professionals/organizations that have made statements about the high numbers of AIDS/STDs in the DR have access to far more data than you do!

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by cdngirl08 View Post
    I think you haven't caught anything because you've been very lucky. You certainly don't seem too clever. You can't tell if someone has AIDS or any other STD by just looking at them. Someone who appears healthy could very well have an STD. Don't you know anything??? It's unbelieveable that in this day in age, people are still spouting these sorts of a** backward comments!

I think the health professionals/organizations that have made statements about the high numbers of AIDS/STDs in the DR have access to far more data than you do!
    cdngirl08,
    Whether you are right or wrong is immaterial to my post. You could (& should)have put what you said a LOT more diplomatically.

badpiece33 is a well known poster & even GREATER experience in the DR. Look at the number of posts he has made, read again how long he has been coming here AND read again what he wrote!! Perhaps you would care to throttle back a bit on your aggression - badpiece33 KNOWS what he is talking about!! ~ Grahame.

Poll's Forum Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like

Aids is much more rampant among the Haitian migrant population in the DR than in the local Dominican population. The same holds true with a few other diseases like malaria, polio, and a handful of other diseases. The culprit for such is the lack of initiative in Haiti for eradicating those diseases, putting Haitians at a greater risk and contracting such diseases at alarming rates and then, when they migrate to DR many arrive infected. In fact, malaria and polio were eradicated in the DR a few decades ago and only recently made a reappearance, again due to the migration of Haitians infected with such diseases.

The same holds true in many other indicators such as the infant mortality rates, poverty rates, etc. Most of them are skewed by the effects of Haitian migration. In fact, the places in the DR where the risk of contracting such diseases is high is where ever there is a heavy presence of Haitian migrants.

-NALs

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

I do two women that have come back pregnant, now wheter they contacted an STD? that i dont know, so the risk was there!!

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BushBaby View Post
    cdngirl08,
    Whether you are right or wrong is immaterial to my post. You could (& should)have put what you said a LOT more diplomatically.

badpiece33 is a well known poster & even GREATER experience in the DR. Look at the number of posts he has made, read again how long he has been coming here AND read again what he wrote!! Perhaps you would care to throttle back a bit on your aggression - badpiece33 KNOWS what he is talking about!! ~ Grahame.

You're absolutely correct BushBaby...a more gentler tone is needed. Thanks for the reminder! I think my remarks were a bit pointed, but not aggressive. Let's not over dramatize here!

I'm sure badpiece33 is a great poster and has a wealth of information on the DR, but he clearly is not an expert on AIDS/STDS in the DR...no matter how long he's been there or what he's gotten up to during that time. I'm not an expert either, but I do know someone who died of AIDS back in 1993. He looked just like the rest of us..99.99% of the time. If you didn't know him, you would have never known he had the disease. At the very end( the last month or so), he looked sick..like any dying person would in hospital. To hear people say things like the problem of AIDS/STDS can't be that prevalent in the DR because people look healthy...sorry...it riles me.

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by cdngirl08 View Post
    You're absolutely correct BushBaby...a more gentler tone is needed. Thanks for the reminder! I think my remarks were a bit pointed, but not aggressive. Let's not over dramatize here!

I'm sure badpiece33 is a great poster and has a wealth of information on the DR, but he clearly is not an expert on AIDS/STDS in the DR...no matter how long he's been there or what he's gotten up to during that time. I'm not an expert either, but I do know someone who died of AIDS back in 1993. He looked just like the rest of us..99.99% of the time. If you didn't know him, you would have never known he had the disease. At the very end( the last month or so), he looked sick..like any dying person would in hospital. To hear people say things like the problem of AIDS/STDS can't be that prevalent in the DR because people look healthy...sorry...it riles me.
    How did your friend contract aids back in 1993? Blood tranfusion? Homosexual or hetorosexual? drug user? It is a proven fact Aids is almost impossible to contract through normal hetorsexual sex especially for the male.

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BushBaby View Post
    cdngirl08,

Why thank you very much Bushbaby for coming to my defense, you truly are a great neighbor,but I don't mind taking some shots now and then.

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast