Oven Adding a Thermostat in Santo Domingo

SDF123

May 19, 2008
Hi, Hope all is well. In my perperations for Thanksgiving I need to see if anyone knows of a way to add a thermostat to an oven that does not have one.
The oven in my condo is great but it only has 1 temp. HOT. I have made due but as we get closer to Thanksgiving I wanted to bake a turkey. Can you help me?

I know I could go out and buy a new oven but really want to try to keep this one.

Thank you

Steven

Matilda

RIP Lindsay
Sep 13, 2006
You can buy a thing that you stick in the turkey that tells you the temperature - not sure if you can buy here though, or turn the oven to half knob. That's how I cook here. Little knob, half knob and full knob. Seems to work and I have cooked lots of turkeys

Aug 21, 2007
Matilda is right, A meat thermometer could be used, and then you know when the turkey is done. However, you might burn the bird first, before it is cooked through if your oven is hot, hot, hot.

You can buy oven thermometers. I have one for my oven here in the DR. They either sit on the rack or they have a hook and hang from one of the bars on the rack. They cost about $5.00 in the US. I bet there is somewhere you can buy one here in the DR, but I don't know where, as I brought one down here with me.

Good luck!
Lindsey

La Mariposa

Bronze
Jun 4, 2004
Hi, Hope all is well. In my perperations for Thanksgiving I need to see if anyone knows of a way to add a thermostat to an oven that does not have one.
The oven in my condo is great but it only has 1 temp. HOT. I have made due but as we get closer to Thanksgiving I wanted to bake a turkey. Can you help me?

I know I could go out and buy a new oven but really want to try to keep this one.

Thank you

Steven

Are you sure you cannot turn down the oven knob ?

La Profe_1

Moderator: Daily Headline News, Travel & Tourism
Oct 15, 2003
I have an oven with similar problems. It is propane and I have been told that it needs a new regulator because it just gets hotter and hotter the longer it is on.

The landlord and I are butting heads over who should pay - it has been like that since I moved in!

Sanation

May 21, 2007
You can buy oven thermometers. I have one for my oven here in the DR. They either sit on the rack or they have a hook and hang from one of the bars on the rack. They cost about $5.00 in the US. I bet there is somewhere you can buy one here in the DR, but I don't know where, as I brought one down here with me.

Good luck!
Lindsey

I've seen these at Casa Cuesta in Bella Vista Mall. From memory they were located on the back wall of the store amongst the utensils. Price wise, RD$230 springs to mind. It was a couple of months ago that I saw them there.

monfongo

Bronze
Feb 10, 2005
A thermostat and a thermometer are two different things,A thermostat maintains a constant temp.

amparocorp

Bronze
Aug 11, 2002
if all else fails, when the bird looks done, poke a fork in it, if the juice runs out clear, no fat, no red color, it's ready to eat. also, if dominicans are present at the meal , if served a properly cooked turkey, they would think it's raw. they have a need to kill all animals twice, once in the slaughterhouse and once on the stove......or, buy a turkey with the indicator that pops out when done. i once cooked a turkey for some nicaraguans, i told the lady of the house i needed flour to make the gravy, she assured me they had flour, when i ask for the flour at the end of a long time in the kitchen, corn flour was handed to me, corn flour makes a nice tortilla, really awful gravy...........................

Reactions: FernieBee

SDF123

May 19, 2008
Thank you for your help. I have a thermometer already and currently left on for 1 hour my oven (turned to the lowest setting) gets up to 600 degrees. Right now I just turn it off and turn it back on but that dose not work.

I need to add something to it that will keep a constant temp.

Oh Thanks for the info about the dominicans. I will be the only American at dinner. Hey don forget about the cornbread!! Corn flour is great for Corn bread!! Can you tell I am from the south? THank you for all your help!

wuarhat

I am a out of touch hippie.
Nov 13, 2006

Thank you

Steven

It is probably cheaper to buy an oven that has a thermostat than to make the current oven work. I have a stove that cost $200 brand new and someone lost a piece of one of the burners while cleaning the stove once. It was just a little disc of cast metal about two inches across and 1/4" thick. It cost $40. If you try fixing your old stove after about two or three guesses at which part needs to be replaced you'll have spent enough to buy a whole new stove.