Swindle - Always check propane seller for zero and their math

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Today I went to get two propane tanks filled. One is a 50 lb tank and the other is a 25 lb tank. The first time they tried to swindle me was they asked if I wanted the large tank with 12 gallons. I said fill it normally. When they tried to fill it, I told them it already had 4.7 gallons showing on the meter. Then they reset it to zero. The first attempted swindle. I noticed the machine automatically shut off at 11 gallons for the larger tank, I am sure he would have charged me for 12 if I had not noticed.

Then he filled the second smaller tank ( no need to reset to zero) and we had a total number of gallons after he filled both tanks. He then calculated the normal amounts charged for filling each tank without even checking the meter! I calculated the fee using the amount of gallons delivered and another surprise, he was about 150 pesos higher!!. I disputed his total and he said, Oh, you are correct. The second attempt at a swindle. Then of course they didn't have the exact change so we worked it out and I was only shorted one peso. (They don't have mints to give back for change like they do at the Supermarket)

The above tactics are often practiced by gasoline attendants, but propane is easier for them to swindle you since you have to compute that total price from the gallons measured and the price per gallon because the price does not show up on the meter as it does for gasoline. Always check the zero and their math.

I also have a question: What is the normal amount of propane in gallons that can be put into each tank size when the tanks are empty?

Reactions: badpiece33

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
6, 12 AND 24 GALLONS for the three normal sizes...

And it is getting expensive!!!

HB

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
Well, here's a wierd one: The propane tank in my X-Terra holds 20 gallond. I get around 10mpg. I have a gauge that is reasonably accurate-when the red LED comes on, I have maybe 3 gallons left, about 30 miles.

The red light came on at the 160 mile odometer reading, and we drove maybe 20 more miles (I usually just run the tank dry, and switch to gasoline when the engine stumbles and starts to shut off). I thought the tank was about empty.

Alida went to the grocery store and stopped at a reputable propane station. She knows what to look for when the tank is filles, doesn't really trust them, and makes sure they open the vent valve to fully fill the tank and the meter is set to zero. The tank was filled with only 15.5 gallons!!!11!!1!!!!! Should have been at least 19...

I'm like, WTF?????

Feb 7, 2007
How many gallons it takes to fill up your tank depends on where you fill that tank with propane gas.

I also fill up with the air vent open to fill it up full. I have a 16 gallon tank.

Here in Higuey there is a plant where it fills with 14-14.5 gallons.
There is a plant where it fills with 16 gallons.
In Santo Domingo it usually fills with 17 gallons.

And in Boca Chica Credigas it filled up once with 22 gallons. (LADRONES!!)

Btw, I have found out that Propagas and SOME private independent plants have the best "measure". Then it is followed by TROPIGAS, then METROGAS and CREDIGAS anywhere have found always to be swindlers.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Is the meter accurate? Another potential Scam

HB, thanks on the capacity answer.

Subsequent posts are also pointing out the other potential scam. Is the gas meter even accurate to begin with? How would we ever know? I can fill a five gallon gasoline can and see I have less than the five gallons showing on the gasoline pump, but I cannot see the propane gas level. This only adds to the problem of not resetting to zero and not charging what is actually on the meter. The only solution would be to weigh the tank before and after filling and know what the difference should be.

One thing I noticed is that there seems to be an automatic shut off when the refilling systems senses a certain amount of pressure and stops pumping.

That can also lead to confusion if the sensor isn't calibrated to deliver exactly the correct number of gallons to fill a given tank.

NotLurking

Bronze
Jul 21, 2003
Sto Dgo Este
HB, thanks on the capacity answer.

Subsequent posts are also pointing out the other potential scam. Is the gas meter even accurate to begin with? How would we ever know?

It's not that difficult to catch the crooked propane distributor! If you have a mechanical or digital bathroom scale put your propane tank on it and ZERO out the scale. Take the scale with you to your favorite propane distributor on your next fill up. One gallon of propane weighs 4.24 lbs (~4 1/4 lbs) compare it to the following:

6 gallons = ~25 lbs 7 oz (25.44 lbs)
12 gallons = ~ 50 lbs 14 oz (50.88 lbs)
24 gallons = ~101 lbs 12 oz (101.76 lbs)

NotLurking

ggparts

Mar 20, 2003
Most portable tanks are filled by weight here (Ontatio)

When I fill my tank (20 lbs) there is a flat rate price for having it filled. It doesn't matter how much is in it when they start to fill it, the only thing that they care about is that the gross weight of the tank full is not exceeded.
At least they are leading you to believe you are getting what you pay for, here, how much they actually give you is not relevant.

ggparts

Last edited:

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
It's not that difficult to catch the crooked propane distributor! If you have a mechanical or digital bathroom scale put your propane tank on it and ZERO out the scale. Take the scale with you to your favorite propane distributor on your next fill up. One gallon of propane weighs 4.24 lbs (~4 1/4 lbs) compare it to the following:

6 gallons = ~25 lbs 7 oz (25.44 lbs)
12 gallons = ~ 50 lbs 14 oz (50.88 lbs)
24 gallons = ~101 lbs 12 oz (101.76 lbs)

NotLurking
I need a 4000lb scale for my vehicle...;)

NotLurking

Bronze
Jul 21, 2003
Sto Dgo Este
I need a 4000lb scale for my vehicle...;)
Well, technically speaking, YES. However you can use the bathroom scale method with a small propane tank. Put exactly 1 gallon of propane in a small grill tank, you'll know if the distributor is honest and the meter accurate.
;) :bunny:

notLurking

Feb 7, 2007
Well, technically speaking, YES. However you can use the bathroom scale method with a small propane tank. Put exactly 1 gallon of propane in a small grill tank, you'll know if the distributor is honest and the meter accurate.
;) :bunny:

notLurking

This may be a good idea to find out a handful of good plants where they don't rob you or rob you only a little.

Make a run-around with a small 25-lbs tank. Fill in 2 gallons. Weight. See if the plant measures up. If it does you have the plant where to go fill up your vehicle. If it does not measure up to the standard, go to the next one... repeat :)

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Exellent work NotLurking. I didn't have the time yet to come up with the weights for the various tanks , So in this case. "Tanks a lot"..

Now we know how they can get you

1. Not starting a zero
2. Not reading the meter when done but charging the "normal price for a full tank of that size".
3. Not having the correct change.
4. Incorrectly calculating the total, perhaps using the wrong price per gallon
5. Not having a correctly calibrated meter to show the proper number of gallons

Did I miss any other method? Perhaps something to do with voodoo or slight of hand?

From my experience I have had 1 through 4 attempted and probably 5 has happened without knowing it.

Last edited: