Legal or Not?

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
Is it legal for an apt. complex to charge above the rate that Et Norte is charging the complex for Electricity? This would be in the form of individual bills from the apt. complex direct to the renters.

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
I guess that depends if you have a contract with the apartment building or the electricity company. Lots of developments bill for electricity and set their own rates.

Castellamonte

Bronze
Mar 3, 2005
Cabrera
www.villa-castellamonte.com
Is it legal for an apt. complex to charge above the rate that Et Norte is charging the complex for Electricity? This would be in the form of individual bills from the apt. complex direct to the renters.

This depends upon the contract you have with the apartment complex. I am assuming you do not have a contract with EdeNorte since the apartment complex is sending you the bill. Do you have a contract with the apartment complex?

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
I spoke to one of my attorneys and he advised me what to do. Thanks anyway.

aross

Nov 15, 2007
In the complex where I live, there are separate meters for each unit and base on the consumption we are billed by the managers that take care of the condominium complex. I would assume they must have some sort of a master meter for the whole complex because we pay the managers not the power company. We are billed at a slightly higher rate than the complex is paying and that covers their expense of providing us with power through the emergency generator when the main power goes off.

J D Sauser

Silver
Nov 20, 2004
www.hispanosuizainvest.com
Also keep in mind that some complexes will have own power plants to fill in for grid blackouts. Depending upon how they are set up, they may charge the cost for diesel or LPG to the residents separately, as part of the HOA maintenance fees or in a compounded calculation with the grid bill.

... J-D.