MAGICJACK - So all of you who have it - How is it?

Feb 7, 2007
I am intrigued by the MagicJack VOIP proposal. Total with priority processing and shipping to Miami mailbox and 1 year unlimited VOIP service to the USA and Canada at about 50 dollars.

So far so good...

but I have read numerous bad reviews, including the ones here http://www.magicjacksupport.com/ where people are quite unhappy with the service.

- Many say it worked for several months and then it went south
- Many experience quality problems
- Many experience setup problems
- Many experience problems not being able to connect their regular phones
- Practically non-existent customer service and technical support
- No phone number to call, only web-chat which is working half-the-time and is extremely difficult to find on Magicjack's website

It really is a savings US$50 per year vs US$360 per year for my Lingo service. But if there are serious problems with the service, I don't want it, many reviewers have said - you get what you pay for.

I want to hear positive and negative reviews from those who use it.

It's really appreciated.

snmanuel

Oct 1, 2008
Positive - received it within a week.
Negative - it isnt really plug and play. It works well if you have mac o/s but too many settings you have to do to make it work for xp or vista o/s. if you are not computer savvy you are out of luck. Live chat for tech support is none existent. Im still waiting for a response to my problem with my magicjack. There is a forum for magic as you are well aware but look at the post for support. Unbelievable. However, because my wife has a macbook, we are keeping it and take advantage of the free calls. oh and another thing, they are selling this units in Canada but you can not get a Canadian phone number. So Im stuck using a Hollywood, Calirornia phone number. So if my children call me from Calgary, they pay long distance from their land line, but i can call them free from anywhere for free. Out of ten, iwould give it a 6

mike l

Silver
Sep 4, 2007
I gave mine away after 1 day.

It's ok if you are just making a few calls but I make about 50 calls per day and the pop up is annoying.

I also could not set up my voice mail

I also had problems with the quality. It seems to require more bandwidth than Vonage.

But for friends and family .......go for it!

peep2

Bronze
Oct 24, 2004
Could not get it to work with my desktop computer.(fairly new HP with XP). Works OK with my cheap Acer laptop. Works with Comcast cable internet in U.S. but with my DSL connection in Santo Domingo (where I would really like it to work) I can hear people talking to me but they can't hear me. I would pretty much consider it a waste of money but then again we're not talking about much money. Set up is kind of involved. It is not simple plug and play.

mike l

Silver
Sep 4, 2007
My thoughts on this system is that you need a reliable connection for it to work ....... in the Dominican Republic???????????

Reliable connection is just not possible here in the DR.

You need to always have Plan B available.

Magic Jack , when you do download it, takes a very long time and when you install the software it tells as much.

Toys come with instructions and every once in a while we need to read them!

Brahma Lite..$ Rd 99 per six pak at playa Sosua.

I don't know why they call it light beer as I brought home 7 cases last week and my arms were sore! Ha Ha

Last edited:
Feb 7, 2007
I also had problems with the quality. It seems to require more bandwidth than Vonage.

But for friends and family .......go for it!

I need it for business purposes... so looks like I will stick with my Lingo. For $30 a month (including $10 in all-kinds-of-fees-and-taxes) I get unlimited calling to the USA, Canada and all of Western Europe and the quality is very good. It uses G729a codes so bandwidth is almost never a problem anywhere.

mike l

Silver
Sep 4, 2007
I need it for business purposes... so looks like I will stick with my Lingo. For $30 a month (including $10 in all-kinds-of-fees-and-taxes) I get unlimited calling to the USA, Canada and all of Western Europe and the quality is very good. It uses G729a codes so bandwidth is almost never a problem anywhere.

Lingo , what is that ? I am always open to new solutions.

thanks,

mike

J

joerusso

thanks,

mike

Here are some others that were suggested to me since I do a call center from home...hope this helps some either for business or pleasure reasons...

Below are some voip providers and how to set them up to call to the US through your pc.

1- www.callcentric. com

-Go to www.callcentric. com and Click on Sign up to register a new account. Once register, you will be given a 17772?.number.

-Once you log on to your account, click on Add funds on the right and follow the wizard. To add funds to your account you will need a credit card or a Prepaid Card like the one from Banco Leon.

-Once you have added funds to your account, go to www.counterpath. com and download and install a softphone called Xlite. The softphone is free.

- To setup the xlite with your callcentric account:

-Right click on the xlite screen and select Sip Account Setting, then click on Add on the right and enter this information:

-Display name: your name

-username: your 17772 number.

-Passsword: the SIP password you created.

-Authorization username: your 17772 number.

-Domain: callcentric. com

After hitting on Apply, Okay and Close, your softphone should say Ready on the screen and you are ready to make calls.

Option 2: www.voipbuster. com

This one works a little bit different and some of our agents have really taken advantage of it. By putting credit to your Account (10 EUROS Credit or Debit prepaid card), you get 300 free minutes every week, during 4 months. After 4 months, they start deducting from the credit you put in your account.

To setup an account:

-Go to http://www.voipbust er.com/en/ download. html and download the free softphone.

-Register with a username and password to create an account.

-Once logged in, click on Buy Credit and follow the wizard. You can use a credit card, debit card or even Paypal.

Once you account has been recharged, you will be able to call for free from your pc.

Option 3: Yahoo Messenger.

This one is awfully cheap with a rate of 1c a minute to the US, which means a one-hour phone call for about RD$ 20 pesos.

-Go to Yahoo! and download and install yahoo messenger.

-Click on Actions and select Call a phone number and it will guide you through the process to setup the messenger with Yahoo Voice. Once you add credit to your account you will be able to place calls to any phone number.

Option 4: Free Calls|Free VoIP|Globe7 Widgets|Free International Calls|Lowest Calling Rates

-Payment method is similar to all the above.

-Rate to the US is 1 cent/m

Option 5: Skype.

http://www.skype. com/intl/ en/allfeatures/ subscriptions/

__._,_.___
Messages in this topic (2) Reply (via web post) | Start a new topic Messages | Files | Photos | Links | Database | Polls | Members | Calendar
Change settings via the Web (Yahoo! ID required)
Change settings via email: Switch delivery to Daily Digest | Switch format to Traditional
Visit Your Group | Yahoo! Groups

pachanga1964

Sep 24, 2007
WWW.ALMONTEJACKSON.COM
Works Great For Me

I live in Santiago and works great. Remember, that if your computer is running programs in the background this will affect the performance of this product. Spyware is also an issue. Purchased mine in Santiago for $50.00 US and was able to register with my Dominican address.

Gringo

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
Had mine almost a year now, I have not experienced a problem with it. I use it often to call the States and Canada.
You do have to put anything you might be running on you're computer on hold while you are using Magic Jack. I would recommend to anyone... :)

Feb 7, 2007

thanks,

mike

Lingo is a service by Primus (a large NA telecom company).
They've been in business ever since Vonage started.

Free calls to all NA and Europe for less than Vonage.

You can add up a ring-in number in about 15 countries (the numbers ring in the same ATA box).

They use g729 codec (you can chnage it to g711-64kbps in online control panel) so not really much bandwidth is needed - you can technically do well even with dialup connection on the g729 codec.

http://www.lingo.com/

Get The Award-Winning
Digital Phone Service*
Columbus Day Special!
OFFER EXPIRES 10/18/08.

Over $100 Instant Savings!
? FREE Linksys Adaptor - $50 value
? FREE First Month - $21.95 value
? FREE First Activation - $29.95 value

CHATTER BOX PLAN: $21.95 a month
? UNLIMITED calls in the U.S. and to 22 countries
? OVER 20 popular calling features included
? Keep your current phone number
? 30-Day money back guarantee

POP Bad Boy

Bronze
Jun 27, 2004
Works fine.........

Had mine almost a year now, I have not experienced a problem with it. I use it often to call the States and Canada.
You do have to put anything you might be running on you're computer on hold while you are using Magic Jack. I would recommend to anyone... :)

........for us also.

Have had it about 1 year now too and use it often. Do find it much better if you keep computer usage to a minimum while talking though..........

Costambar- POP

francoisatl

Feb 13, 2007
i have it in atlanta ga and will bring it to pop when i come in november
so far it has worked good for me
i was using it with a Plantronics headsets wow it was not good i have a RangeMax NEXT (802.11n) NETGEAR and it was not playing nice with the headset so now i use it with a cordless GE 6.0 phone and it has been very good the phone system has 3 other 6.0 running off the base unit they all sound good and ring when i get a call
francoisatl

augustus

Dec 19, 2007
Went to Internet Caffe in Sosua during the month of Sept. ----- worked perfectly. Off of my landlords internet service, many problems........

francoisatl

Feb 13, 2007
i just got back from pop i was at lhvc and my magicjack worked 100% of the time i was calling west palm beach i was calling atlanta and i called DC i worked
i was at the pop airport at gate A6 the gate by the woman bathroom and found wifi for FREE and went online and used my MJ and it all worked
so i think it is a great thing in the DR to make calles back to the states

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
I am quite happy with my Smart jack...just renewed for another year. No set up problems. Voice quality over a really cheapo phone is so-so but I do get things done. I have called all over the US with no problems...

$20 a year sure beats $30 a month....

HB

Thandie

Bronze
Nov 27, 2007
Does anyone experience the line cutting out or bad reception sometimes? And how have you fixed it?

And thanks for the tip about not having other programs running at the same time.

anng3

Bronze
Jan 12, 2007
The static is very bad. I had it on a pc. I have several people that I called once from the DR to the states that I wouldn't use to call again. Skype is so much better. I thought maybe it was my computer because it was so slow.

My computer died and I got a mac. I spent several hours doing online support with them and the conclusion was that it can be used on a Mac but I would have to update it on a PC which I no longer own.

Was thinking of finding someone with a pc or taking it to a internet cafe and try and update it there. Overall for 2.1 cents a minute to landlines in the states or free to free skype to skype calls I don't think it's worth it.

Reactions: FernieBee