Bringing in extra suitcases from UK

yb1

Oct 6, 2008
Hi all

Does anyone know of an inexpensive way to bring over (from the UK) 3 x 20kilo suitcases (containing personal belongings - clothing, souvenirs etc)?

It seems that all UK flights limit baggage to 1 x approx 20kilo case + handluggage.

Thanks in advance for any helpful tips!

Reidy620

Bronze
Mar 30, 2008
www.casaellie.com
Extra Luggage

Hi all

Does anyone know of an inexpensive way to bring over (from the UK) 3 x 20kilo suitcases (containing personal belongings - clothing, souvenirs etc)?

It seems that all UK flights limit baggage to 1 x approx 20kilo case + handluggage.

Hi,

You might want to speak directly to your airline customer services as, as you rightly point out, your maximum luggage allowance is 20kg no matter how many suitcases you have. They might be able to treat say a large box as freight but have a word with customer services, they can only say no. You might want to PM Lambada as she is a frequent returnee back to the UK.

Regards

Reidy

Scoutman

Sep 18, 2008
I flew over with Air Europa last month and they allowed me 2 x 30kg plus hand luggage. Iberia have also upped their long haul luggage allowance to 46kg in 2 bags. Iberia also say that they will reduce the excess charges by 30% if booked in advance

As Reidy says if you travel thompsons/ first choice / thomas cook you only have about 20kg

Hope this helps

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
You might want to PM Lambada as she is a frequent returnee back to the UK.

No she isn't. Where did this come from? I visit UK once every 3 years, I wouldn't call that frequent. There are those who visit far more regularly than me.

ybi1, I'm not the best person to help you due to my infrequent trips to UK. Going Premium will give you a slightly bigger weight allowance but it won't meet what you want. There are companies which freight boxes from UK to DR but you would need to google search for them.

Donchya love it when people volunteer you based on incorrect info.......:cheeky:

Reidy620

Bronze
Mar 30, 2008
www.casaellie.com
Apologies

No she isn't. Where did this come from? I visit UK once every 3 years, I wouldn't call that frequent. There are those who visit far more regularly than me.

ybi1, I'm not the best person to help you due to my infrequent trips to UK. Going Premium will give you a slightly bigger weight allowance but it won't meet what you want. There are companies which freight boxes from UK to DR but you would need to google search for them.

Donchya love it when people volunteer you based on incorrect info.......:cheeky:

OOPs ~ sorry, I was under the impression you went to the UK a couple of times a year. That'll teach me........

Regards

Reidy

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
OOPs ~ sorry, I was under the impression you went to the UK a couple of times a year. That'll teach me........

Apology accepted :). There's no way I could visit UK that often (I feel like a fish out of water there after 16 years here, it just isn't my country any more). I used to go once every 2 years, now it's once every 3. Spot the trend? ;)

Here's the DHL link for yb1
DHL | Dominican Republic | Air Value

carl.r

Oct 22, 2007
when you check your cases in tell them you have scuba gear....i always get 40kg of baggage.... be careful though sometimes they ask to see some evidence, such as your divers ID card... fortunatley i have a card, its worth trying to blagg it though!!

whizzymaz

Jan 14, 2007
Hi all

Hi

We come across from the UK 3 or 4 four times a year and usually have extra baggage - however, so far, the only way we have managed this is to either upgrade to premium giving you 30 kilos each or else pre book extra baggage. I can't remember exactly what the charge was last time we booked extra baggage but I think they only let you go up to 30 kilos. I have heard from some that they have got through with more but, as has been said, it probably depends on who is on the desk. Someone I know got to check in at Manchester a bit later than anticipated and they had to take things out of their cases and leave them behind. They would not even allow them to pay for extra baggage. Might be worth trying to pre book it as sports equipment.

Good luck
whizzymaz

london777

Bronze
Dec 22, 2005
I flew with Thomas Cook early September and the allowance was officially only a measly 15 kilos (+ 5 kilos hand luggage). I got away with 19 + 8 at no extra charge.

rio2003

Bronze
Aug 16, 2006
Keep it relevant and up to date!

I just had to come out of self imposed exile to post a reply on this thread. A lot of the "suggestions" are either irrelevant - we are talking the UK here or out of date. Since the "credit crunch" took hold here - the chances of being allowed to take excess baggage for nowt are virtually nil.
Baggage allowances are now between 15 - 30 kgs and Thomson are including hand luggage in that total now.
Excess luggage is charged at between ?8.50 and ?10 per kilo.
I am a frequent returner, unlike Lambada, about to make my 5th trip in a year.
Your choices are either to stump up for the excess - but ring the airline first, it is both cheaper and you need to make them aware of the amount of luggage, or to use a courier - DHL do have an office in POP.
Signing off again

Rio ;)

yb1

Oct 6, 2008
Thanks again all,
After much investigation the cheaper charter flights only allow minimum baggage - around 20k (extra costs stupid money - i was quoted ?999 for 3x20kilo suitcases with Thomson)

Don't fancy taking my chances at the check-in desk and having to leave a bunch of stuff at the airport (i'm moving back out to DR to live).

Iberia, Air France, KLM etc will allow more luggage at a cost but the tickets are much more expensive.

DHL airfreight is ?371 for 80kilos.
DHL seafreight - I'm waiting for a quote for 1cubic meter...
using DHL will involve dealing with Aduana and their random charges, or using the DHL agent who will no doubt also demand a nice fat random charge!

So it looks like i'll be leaving the ballgowns and tiarras at home (joke).

carl.r

Oct 22, 2007
i flew thomsonfly last month... 28kg suitcase...10kg hand luggage ..... no extra cost

tish

Mar 10, 2007
Hi all

You could ship them over. I used Anglo Pacific and had no problems with them. They ship direct to POP.

whirleybird

Silver
Feb 27, 2006
We moved to the DR in June 2006 and sent our personal belongings packed in old computer boxes, there were about 18 of them in the end, via a great company who are based near Gatwick airport. They charged us ?3.50 a kilo and they were collected from our home in Devon and sent to POP via air cargo. Apart from a bit of hassle with POP customs it worked fine and was a huge amount cheaper than the ?8 per kilo they charged for my husband's computer which we brought out on a flight. If you want contact details for the company we used, please PM me.

yb1

Oct 6, 2008
Thanks Whirleybird for the lead.

Just to share the info:

Classic Shipping Services (based in East London near City Airport).
Worldwide shipping & removals
Contact Mr Shah tel: 020 7473 3000 (from uk).
Quoted: 1 cubic meter by sea, personal belongings.
?180 + ?55 to collect from Somerset.
Arrival at Rio Haina Caucedo port (Boca Chica).
Ships sail once a month around 27th each month.
Require 2 weeks notice in advance.
An agent is available at the DR end.

Q1: Has anyone had experience of retrieving their goods from Caucedo without the aid of an agent? (My Spanish is pretty good).

Q2: How can I find out how much Aduana could charge me for personal belongings? ie. clothing etc (no electrical applicances).

yb1

Oct 6, 2008
Please ignore my last 2 questions - i've read the other related posts on this forum and found answers. thanks.