Aduana Prohibits Import Of Right Hand Drive Cars

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
There appears to be a new Customs regulation (Norma 2-08) that vehicles with right hand drive can no longer be imported
Aduana prohibe importaci?n de veh?culos con el gu?a a la derecha

This could be of interest to potential DR residents thinking of containering their original cars from UK, Australia, New Zealand, Bangladesh, East Timor, Fiji, India, Japan, Kiribati, Lesotho, Malawi, Singapore, South Africa and Zimbabwe among others. ;)

Reason given is that it is a risk for transit security (which when you consider all the other risks here has to make you chortle).

I'm not sure what they intend doing about right hand drives already on the road here - this could affect some veteran/vintage car enthusiasts.

Mr. Lu

Bronze
Mar 26, 2007
These vehicles are considered high quality and lower cost, though not always true. It's just different versions of the same car. For example Honda, Toyota etc. make cars for sale in Japan and then make cars for export. For example there is the Lexus IS series, but in Japan it was sold as the Altezza and in the US sold as the Lexus.

If you drive around SD you'll notice an increase in these cars around the city. Most times those importing the vehicles will switch the steering wheel from one side to another before they leave the docks or before they are sold. But some guys rather drive them as is. Some say the emission standards of the vehicles, steering regulations and specs of the cars are stricter in the US therefore affecting the performance, making people want the Japanese versions. There are other reasons for these cars, according to a guy I knew, who lived in Japan brokering export deals for dealers interested in these cars.

As to who this will affect, most likely street racers and performance drivers. Importing cars from Japan with this is mind has become the norm in recent years. Its the same for Civics, Lancers, Accords, Corollas etc....

Unless you are really into cars, car culture or car details this news will barely affect you....

Mr. Lu

Feb 7, 2007
Right-hand drive cars are mainly imported by car dealers, who change the wheel to the left (costs around US$1,000 to do it and 1-2 days of time). I am sure they will find a way around this, as they do find their way around paying the full exorbitant import taxes.

This will affect mainly individual importers who buy from car brokers over the Internet and have the cars shipped to DR. There was one Internet broker from Japan whose ad I saw on DR1. So it will be private importers who take the full hit, car dealers will most likely go about their business as usual.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
thanks god! i am driving one of those (yes, i have a license now), honda capa (re-named by me "honda kupa" - kupa means sh*t in polish). can't see kupa in the mirrors - yes, i tried, apparently they are made to fit right hand drive. can't swich darn light/wipers/directions without switching something else instead (directionals and lights are on the right, wipers on the left, all a rebours).

kudos to all who can drive those converted cars - i can't. but then - i've only had a license for 5 days :cheeky:

ps the car is not mine, belongs to my mother in law...

montreal

Bronze
Apr 17, 2006
Unless you're the British new expat whose right hand drive car is currently in a container on the high seas being shipped here...............:cheeky:

People into collectionables be also be affected. Those British antiques... :bunny:

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Exactly! Like heavily tinted windows: now that I'm using a bicycle as a mode of transport I realise just how dangerous it is not being able to see the driver. This is illegal but not enforced.

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
instead of focussing on enforcing existing laws, these beauracrats come up with useless new laws. Ridiculous.

As a way of augmenting salaries by payments under the counter. The next thing will be AMET removing right hand drive cars from their owners unless a hefty compensation is paid. Whether it is legal or not, on the statute book or not, this new Norma lends itself to that sort of misinterpretation. I presume it is intended to keep the lesser functionaries busy devising extortion plans so they don't see the gaping holes in their politicians policies?

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
the only advantage of a right hand drive is getting out onto a pavement and not onto the middle of very busy traffic ;)
i have seen many converted cars in DR but never a wheel on the right side.