What is wrong with the water?

AK74

On Vacation!
Jun 18, 2007
Bottle water is cheap here. AMOF- the last cheap thing left from good old times.

So why bother? Buy in Los Charomicos, not in El Batey. Three times cheaper. Buy big 20G bottles.

BushBaby

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.casabush.org
Bottle water is cheap here. AMOF- the last cheap thing left from good old times.

Buy big 20G bottles.
Now THOSE are new to me ......... Where would I buy those & how do I get them on to my countertop to serve from? The 5 (five) gallons I know quite well, but the 20 (TWENTY) gals is something I have not seen around! How much do they cost?
~ Grahame

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
maybe he meant 20 liters - that would roughly be 5 gallons - right?
the water is all wrong, dude, if dominicans don't drink it then a gringo definitely should not!

Reactions: FernieBee

AK74

On Vacation!
Jun 18, 2007
maybe he meant 20 liters - that would roughly be 5 gallons - right?
the water is all wrong, dude, if dominicans don't drink it then a gringo definitely should not!

20 liters. 5 gallons. was drunk.

Reactions: FernieBee

FernieBee

Bronze
Feb 20, 2008
20ro3k3.jpg

5 gallons/18.9 liters

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
I got Shigella from the water there once, and had bloody diarrhea for 5 days until I got antibiotics to kill it. Trust me, once was enough. Now I am very careful.

DavidZ

Silver
Aug 29, 2005
www.vipcigartours.com
A friend of mine has a whole-house water filtration system. Ive had water from the tap there many times, never been sick. I'm not sure of it's worth the money though, as a five gallon jug of purified water is still around 30 pesos (less than 1 dollar)...

whirleybird

Silver
Feb 27, 2006
A friend of mine has a whole-house water filtration system. Ive had water from the tap there many times, never been sick. I'm not sure of it's worth the money though, as a five gallon jug of purified water is still around 30 pesos (less than 1 dollar)...

Our water is filtered too so makes it easy to turn on the tap to wash vegetables, salads etc. but it is much more pleasant to drink the bottled water from the cooler if you just need a glass of it. I wonder where the bottled water comes from and what purification takes place before we get it....

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
Speaking about bottled water, I have found that all brands are not of the same quality. For example, there is one brand based out of Charamicos that I would not recommend at all. I will not name it. There is no set rule for how they arrive at their final product here. So let the buyer beware.

I will however recommend Gerico, sold on the North Coast as excellent.

shellygirl327

Jun 18, 2004
We buy Cristal here at 50 pesos for 5 gallons (and I don't mean the champagne LOL). It is the best brand that I have tried here on the East Coast and after drinking it for so long I can actually taste the difference if I drink another brand.

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
I understand that our respected DR1'er Norma Rosa has had a public water source here lab tested after being filtered and it came out clean per EPA(?) standards. Send her a pm if you want more info.

ciao

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Planeta Azul is generally thought to be the best in terms of consistently meeting quality standards. In the Punta Cana/B?varo area it's available from La Marqueta.

wuarhat

I am a out of touch hippie.
Nov 13, 2006
Thanks for the information everybody. I was wondering if filtering is sufficient to make the water safe or if there are some chemicals dissolved in the water that need to be distilled out. It appears that filtration does work.

I got Shigella from the water there once, and had bloody diarrhea for 5 days until I got antibiotics to kill it. Trust me, once was enough. Now I am very careful.

I know what you mean. I got the same symptoms from eating the food at an AI resort in La Romana. Possibly from the food being washed with tap water. It's not anything I want to do again, although I don't know how I could have avoided it.

I understand that our respected DR1'er Norma Rosa has had a public water source here lab tested after being filtered and it came out clean per EPA(?) standards. Send her a pm if you want more info.

ciao

Our water is filtered too so makes it easy to turn on the tap to wash vegetables, salads etc. but it is much more pleasant to drink the bottled water from the cooler if you just need a glass of it. I wonder where the bottled water comes from and what purification takes place before we get it....

The same thought has come to me. What do they do to make the water safe?

AK74

On Vacation!
Jun 18, 2007
Thanks for the information everybody. I was wondering if filtering is sufficient to make the water safe or if there are some chemicals dissolved in the water that need to be distilled out. It appears that filtration does work.]

No, filtering is not enough. Only reversal osmosis that is very expensive. All other filtering systems - joke. Does not work.

Distillation is much more effective and cheap.