Three Words

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
The utensil for making the coffee is called a French press, which I call a cafetiere, or a 'cafetera' in Spanish, and the medium-strength coffee that it produces is called 'caf? americano'.

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
To my way of thinking, a caf? Americano is a drip coffee or a filter coffee or any coffee where one has the choice of black or con lech?.
(Anyway, it is a description of style of coffee, not a method of making coffee as I understand it ..)

"La denominada Prensa francesa es un utensilio para elaborar caf? o t?, el modo de operaci?n de esta cafetera es muy simple y suele proporcionar caf? m?s fuerte que el de otras cafeteras."

What works for me is caf? la prensa Francesa. Sounds funny to say 'caf? cafetera' ?

If this does not sound screamingly wrong to anyone, this is what we will go with .. ?? To complicate the thing, we are talking about organic, high altitude, shade grown coffee.

Last edited:

montreal

Bronze
Apr 17, 2006
Cafe americano is a very loose term, it depends on where it is being used. In the DR they think it is filter drip style. In Italy and France it's an allong? or a really long espresso. Although I have never heard of french press coffee referred to as americano.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Coffee is not a matter of life and death, jr, it's much more serious than that! ;)

Montreal is correct - 'caf? americano' is that dreadful weak filter coffee, and French press coffee is stronger, but not as strong as an espresso or Dominican coffee/caf? de greca.
Chris - in any case it would be "caf? de prensa francesa", or "caf? de cafetera" - but most people wouldn't understand what these things mean.

Cafetera means different things in different parts of the Spanish-speaking world. We always used it to mean kettle, as in the thing you use for boiling water, even though cafetera literally means coffee-maker.

montreal

Bronze
Apr 17, 2006
Coffee is not a matter of life and death, jr, it's much more serious than that! ;)

Girl, we must have been separated at birth!!!

I personally prefer my coffee from a Greca than a press. Which brings me to my next question...what would be the proper term for a Greca? I'm pretty sure it is a Dominican colloquialism, I have never heard it used elsewhere.

BTW, Argentinians I know use the term cafetera de pist?n for french press.

Gotta get a refill now :bunny:
Montreal

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Yes, fellow coffee lover Montreal, Greca is a colloquialism said to derive from a popular brand name for the stove top coffee pot/espresso pot, whatever it's actually called :)

I prefer a press, because the coffee lasts longer and you can still make it strong.

Status
Not open for further replies.