What constitutes assault in the DR?

Sanation

May 21, 2007
I am a female working in the DR for a foreign company. I recently had a conversation with a Dominican colleague which ended in a rather heated argument.

After this occurred, my boyfriend approached my colleague and told him to NEVER yell at me again, whilst shaking his finger in his face. His finger touched my colleague's cheek (it was not a slap or a punch). My colleague is now threatening to report the incident to the police.

The incident was witnessed by one other person who says that the other person was not struck or hit, but meerly touched on the cheek.

Should we be concerned? Or is this a matter of bruised ego?

AK74

On Vacation!
Jun 18, 2007
Edited by Robert: Ridiculous post, enough of the scare mongering.

Last edited by a moderator:

jrhartley

Gold
Sep 10, 2008
keep your friends close and enemies closer....apologise and take him out for a drink even though its not your fault...make sure there are people around when you offer an olive branch

Sanation

May 21, 2007
The guy has no injuries nor any witnesses to show some type of assault.

I agree with you 100%. One of my staff has a contact at the police station and is making discrete enquiries as to whether a formal complaint has been lodged.

The situation is ridiculous, but unfortunately I have work with this clown. I want to find out if there are any legal implications before this escalates.

Sanation

May 21, 2007
keep your friends close and enemies closer....apologise and take him out for a drink even though its not your fault...make sure there are people around when you offer an olive branch

We've done all that - a public apology has been made and a nice bottle of wine given as a peace offering. The wine was refused, but my colleague said that the apology was 'accepted'.

Sanation

May 21, 2007
I hope that we do have nothing to worry about as I thought this matter had been 'put to bed'.

A conversation was overheard today with my colleague saying that he had my partner's passport details (not sure how) and was going to the local police station.

My stomach is in knots just thinking about it!

This guy has created many problems since I arrived - he does not like working with a woman who is on equal standing with him in the workplace.... Particularly one who is not prepared to be spoken down to, yelled at and abused!

SosuaJoe

Feb 24, 2005
1) This guy is a clown
2) This guy will do nothing

How do I know? He had your angry boyfriend's finger in his face and did nothing about it.

Relax.

AK74

On Vacation!
Jun 18, 2007
1) This guy is a clown
2) This guy will do nothing

How do I know? He had your angry boyfriend's finger in his face and did nothing about it.

Relax.

Agree. Clown. Jerk.
The boyfriend must has been to hospital now. He is not.

This guy is disgrace to a dominican. Not macho. Junk.

Next time this brave boyfriend may be less fortunate. True Dominicans do not like gringas and gringos to teach them lessons. To touch their faces with fingers.

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
It's macho BS, nothing more, nothing less.
He has zero grounds to do anything.
He doesn't like his ego dented by a female.
I guarantee you're the first one to ever shout at him.

It's more of the... Look at me, look at who I know, look how much trouble I can cause for you. He's playing on the fact that your a newbie and not linguistically skilled, know the culture etc. Been there, got the t-shirt...

If he get's out of hand, slap yourself, take a photo, call your lawyer and go to the cops.

Game over :)

CFA123

Silver
May 29, 2004
I think the biggest problem was your boyfriend getting involved in your situation at work. That's really not right & if nothing else makes you look weak in your position for the future that you need to be protected by him. If you worked for me, I'd advise you to keep your family members/friends out of the workplace (assuming he doesn't already work there - in which case that's a whole other problem).

In my years of working in the DR apparel industry, there were a lot of heated arguments, at times daily occurances. Men and women stood their ground equally to argue for their point of view. A good thing in my view as it's better than having people always agreeing with you. If their opinions are off the mark too often or they're trying to rock the boat, fire 'em.

AK74

On Vacation!
Jun 18, 2007
slap yourself, take a photo, call your lawyer and go to the cops.

Game over :)

Me respectfully hopes that this does not work so easy and smoothly in Dominican Republic like it works in some other country.

COROLLA24

Apr 11, 2004
community.webshots.com
I know how u feel

I was working at a company in POP for 10months, I was sick for 4days and had a letter stamped from the doctors and everything, handed it to them. Next thing u know after I had returned to work for 1 week, the supervisor pulled me aside and said they thought my sick form was a fake, that I never went to the doctors, they wanted to to contact the doctor to prove i had been there. My husband was at the doorway picking me up. So he steped in when Jose freaked out on me and saying lies. I was like whatever do what u want. But i have been faithful to this compnay for 10months and now u are treating me like this, well my supervisor started saying nasty things, and did not beleive me (little did i know he was looking for a reason to fire me) I had said "F*uck Jose, as if u dont beleive me" And well he just lost it. I was NOT saying for him to F off but rather just AHHH LISTEN TO ME..
So they fired me few days later......on the grounds that I disrespected him along with my husband harrasing him.
Anyhow that turned into a long dispute of them having to pay me my liquidation..They refused to pay it...it was a 1month back and forth to the court house... But I got my $$$$..
I found out later that supervisor quit after fire-ing me...

Reactions: AnnaC

Tallman1818

Nov 19, 2007
I am a female working in the DR for a foreign company. I recently had a conversation with a Dominican colleague which ended in a rather heated argument.

After this occurred, my boyfriend approached my colleague and told him to NEVER yell at me again, whilst shaking his finger in his face. His finger touched my colleague's cheek (it was not a slap or a punch). My colleague is now threatening to report the incident to the police.

The incident was witnessed by one other person who says that the other person was not struck or hit, but meerly touched on the cheek.

Should we be concerned? Or is this a matter of bruised ego?

what I will do if I was your colleague is pay the local police $1000 pesos and have your boyfriend spend the night in a cell at the local police destacamento, but I don?t think your colleague has the time nor the money to do this, SO DON?T WORRY ABOUT IT.