For or Against the Death Penalty

miguelspencer

Jan 31, 2008
I don't want to sound like I repeat myself here but I just read this piece in diariolibre.com, please click here.

So I wonder what is your position on this issue guys?

Are you for or against the death penalty given this circumstances?

mike l

Silver
Sep 4, 2007
The death penalty does not deter murder but it does scare people into confessions.

I think life behind bars is a greater penalty.

Ezequiel

Bronze
Jun 4, 2008
I don't want to sound like I repeat myself here but I just read this piece in diariolibre.com, please click here.

So I wonder what is your position on this issue guys?

Are you for or against the death penalty given this circumstances?

I'm against, because, only poor people get executed, you will never see a rich powerful person given the death penalty as a panishment.

Ezequiel

Bronze
Jun 4, 2008
Maybe because they're not killing anyone.

Maybe because they have money to hired the best lawyers and buy the Judges ;).

I forgot the name of that Texas Millionaire that chopped his wife (i think) in to pieces, but still was found not guilty, eventhough everybody knew he did it.

O.J. anyone?

A.Hidalgo

Silver
Apr 28, 2006
Maybe because they have money to hired the best lawyers and buy the Judges ;).

I forgot the name of that Texas Millionaire that chopped his wife (i think) in to pieces, but still was found not guilty, eventhough everybody knew he did it.

O.J. anyone?

This also brings to mind the Menendez boys, who brutally murdered their parents and got life in prison after a second trial. If their parents were not rich, probably death penalty.

bluemoonnyc

Oct 4, 2007
This also brings to mind the Menendez boys, who brutally murdered their parents and got life in prison after a second trial. If their parents were not rich, probably death penalty.

so if the victims are rich the perpertrators do not get the death penalty either?wtf are you talking about?:pirate:

A.Hidalgo

Silver
Apr 28, 2006
so if the victims are rich the perpertrators do not get the death penalty either?wtf are you talking about?:pirate:

Now, now no cursing, only George Carlin can get way with that.:cheeky:

Are you familiar with the case? Re-read my post. The victims were very rich and their sons were the murderers. My point and Ezequiel's is that if you have money and can afford the best lawyers you can escape the noose just like those Menendez brothers did....capiche.

Ezequiel

Bronze
Jun 4, 2008

I do remember that case too, and do you remember "Michael Skakel", former President Kennedy's nephew who killed that girl, did he received the death penalty for the murder!!! NO, because he is too rich to die.

Only the POOR gets the death penalty, that's why i'm against it.

If the law is not applied equally to poor and rich people, it's better to abolish it.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
back to the subject

i agree with sartre that death penalty should only be executed for traitors (crimes against the nation). for anything else prison sentence all the way.
and i am a huge fan of old fashion prison: no tv, no books, no visitors; work 7 days a week, 10hrs a day with $1.00/hr payable after release.
punishment is no longer what it used to be...
of course in DR prison sentence for some crimes equals death, specifically for paedophiles...

A.Hidalgo

Silver
Apr 28, 2006
I think Sartre made that exception because he experienced the horrors of WW2. Had comrades killed because of traitors in the heat of battle.

jruane44

Bronze
Jul 2, 2004
A, A
I do remember that case too, and do you remember "Michael Skakel", former President Kennedy's nephew who killed that girl, did he received the death penalty for the murder!!! NO, because he is too rich to die.

Only the POOR gets the death penalty, that's why i'm against it.

If the law is not applied equally to poor and rich people, it's better to abolish it.

There were other reasons Michael Skakel didn't get the death penalty. He was a juvenile when it occurred and there is no death penalty in Conneticut. Aren't you the same guy that was defending Ted Kennedy in another thread?

Castellamonte

Bronze
Mar 3, 2005
Cabrera
www.villa-castellamonte.com
The death penalty has been proven time and again to both be ineffective at deterring future murders (except by the one you killed) and it is applied inequitably across socio-economic, religious and race boundaries. That said, if someone murdered my wife or one of my children, I would likely want to stand with the death penalty advocates. Today, I do not.

Although I was unfortunate enough to be in the military and placed in positions where I took many lives, I cannot fathom the weight of making a decision to take someone's life for a crime that an imperfect judicial system claims they are guilty of. War is one thing, Lady Justice is another.

So for me I cannot support the death penalty but I also do not demean people who do. I just cannot understand their point of view (except as noted above for personal revenge).

My two pesos worth...

shellygirl327

Jun 18, 2004
Thanks, jruane. I was thinking the same thing. Also in the Skakel case the punishment for the crime that is charged has to be in accordance with laws and punishments in place at the time of the crime, not current laws. Also, the Menendez brothers were no longer rich after killing their parents. The only monetary benefit they received they spent in the days following the murders. Once they were arrested, they no longer were entitled to any monetary gain from their parents estates.

I have to concede that they are correct about OJ but karma's a bitch as we all saw last week!

The standards of finding someone guilty in the states are a lot harder than here. The prosecution needs to prove beyond a reasonable doubt that the defendant is guilty. So even though you may have someone guilty as sin in court, if the prosecution cannot prove it beyond a reasonable doubt, they have to find not guilty.

I'm with dv8 about bare prisons, in fact there is a jail in Texas (I think) that the warden makes the prisoners in tents in the heat and they have the BARE minimum.

Overall, after losing my best friend to the two men that murdered her, I am FOR the death penalty, especially in this country (I know the case referenced is not here) where the maximum penalty even if you kill 20 people is only 30 years.

By the way, I don't know if anyone realizes this but this case is be prosecuted in NY and the last execution in NY was in 1963 by electric chair so I doubt this guy will get a lethal injection anytime soon.

mike l

Silver
Sep 4, 2007
When people say" he did not get the death penalty because they were rich ", they are missing the point.

If you can afford a great attorney, and based on your probability of winning the case, they will plea bargin, whereby you plead guilty and then the prosecutors will not ask for the death penalty after a trial, during the penalty phase of the conviction.

If you plead guilty you get less time than going to trial.....

This time the glove fit so there's no aquit....memrobilia gives one time to pause in prison......

shellygirl327

Jun 18, 2004
I understood what you meant, but none of the cases mentioned were plead out. They all had jury trials. If you have a jury trial and are found guilty, you are not eligible to negotiate your punishment. None of them plead guilty or to lesser charges.

And, you don't plead out and then go to trial. You can start your trial and then take a plea but not the other way around.

A.Hidalgo

Silver
Apr 28, 2006
T Also, the Menendez brothers were no longer rich after killing their parents. The only monetary benefit they received they spent in the days following the murders. Once they were arrested, they no longer were entitled to any monetary gain from their parents estates.

I don't like to belabor issues but I do try to go with facts.....

The Andersen and Menendez families retained very good and very expensive legal counsel for Lyle and Erik. Selected to represent Erik was Leslie Abramson
Abramson?s fee for defending Erik was $750,000.

The Menendez Brothers, notorious killers of their parents - Crime Library