How to spend $1500 in DR

Status
Not open for further replies.

sammytheman

Sep 18, 2007
Ok guys I was wondering what is the best way to spend $1500 Canadian in Sosua? The flight will cost me $400, and if I stay at Rocky's for a week it will cost me $275. That leaves me with $850. How much will food cost if I eat 3 times a day? What are some other activities that I can do in sosua besides clubbing and boozing that require $$. Thanx.

A

apostropheman

AnonTraveler

Aug 6, 2008
Ok guys I was wondering what is the best way to spend $1500 Canadian in Sosua? The flight will cost me $400, and if I stay at Rocky's for a week it will cost me $275. That leaves me with $850. How much will food cost if I eat 3 times a day? What are some other activities that I can do in sosua besides clubbing and boozing that require $$. Thanx.

PM me and I'll send you wiring information for my 'DR retirement account' ;-)

Reactions: FernieBee

Walk over to Clasicos and I'm sure some young ladies will become your tour guides and show you how to lighten those pockets.

carl.r

Oct 22, 2007
sex, drugs and booze!!!...forget the food....its the future...lol
i agree with badpiece!!

b.batista

Feb 21, 2008
Dating does not have to cost a fortuna so get out and rent a bike or go diving or take a jungle tour or go to ocean world or take the teleferico ride or go to the 27 falls or do any of the 100s of things to do close to sosua.

Reactions: FernieBee

DRob

Gold
Aug 15, 2007
$850 CDN for a week of food, drinks, and everything else does not seem like nearly enough to me.
Make sure you can tap the ATM in case you need more funds.

Agreed. You can skate by and enjoy a vacation that is a true masterpiece of minimalism for about that amount, but why would you do it? It's like taking $100 USD to Vegas for the weekend, and getting mad when you run out of money the first night.

Back to your question. If you're set on staying a week, I'd double that amount of money (AT LEAST 1500-1600 CDN).

If, on the other hand, you're constrained by a budget, then I'd cut the number of days (850 CDN is good for maybe half a week).

If you don't spend it, then fine. It's better to have it and not need it than...you get my point.

Either way, I wouldn't come down to that particular vacation destination for that long with such a small amount, especially if you're interested in daytime excursions, lest you run the very real risk of being disappointed.

Good luck,

DRob:glasses:

jbars

Jul 6, 2007
DRob, I agree with you about being better off with having a little extra at then end versus having to hit an ATM. Based on my trips to DR, and each trip was usually 7 days on average I would bring 1200 - 1500 US Dollars. I would end up bringing back 200 dollars on average as well. It is always good to have a few extra dollars to feel comfortable at the end if run into unexpected expenses of extra cabs or meals, etc...In addition to having sound mind when having fun that you will not run out of money.

DavidZ

Silver
Aug 29, 2005
www.vipcigartours.com
A single person should be able to eat, drink, and have plenty of fun in and around Sosua for a little over $100 a day, like he's planning...

I mean, c'mon...
average breakfast $5.00
average lunch $10.00
average dinner $15.00

That leaves over $70 a day for drinks and activities...

FernieBee

Bronze
Feb 20, 2008
These are approximations (in USD).

daily lodging: $25
daily food bill: $25
daily alcohol/bar bill: $25
daily chica fee: $50
30m0hu9.gif

total daily expenses: $125
e1e1s8.gif

DRob

Gold
Aug 15, 2007
Please see my thoughts below

OP said he's staying the week at Rocky's for $275, or $40 a day.

If you eat inexpensively all the time. An adult size serving of Rocky's ribs costs about 12 bux. Morua Moi and PJs will set you back 15-20 for a dinner entree.

Depends on what/how much you drink. Obviously Presidentes cost less than Goose & Juice. Either way, be sure to build in water & juice to the budget. In that climate, both are necessary day and night, esp. to a Canadian.

Only if you want them all to look at you as the cheapest gringo in town. I'd increase my generosity by 50-100%, especially if you won't be offering them any food or drink b/c you ran out of food money on day 3.

Remember, the OP also asked about excursions. I haven't seen any good ones for less than $40, usually much more. Of course, that doesn't include outings with expats who know their way around.

Also, remember the OP has to include stuff like cab fare to/from the airport (20-30 each way), transportation to Cabarete, motos, snacks, any shopping
and of course the "stuff happens" fund.

30m0hu9.gif

Again, I'd double the number, and be happy with the leftover money (and amazing memories)I got to take home with me.
e1e1s8.gif

FernieBee

Bronze
Feb 20, 2008
Rocky's Hotel costs 25 USD per day.

There's a restaurant across the street from the Shark Bar and down the street (to the east) which serves local/Dominican food for about $5 a meal...hefty portions, too.

Maybe he should increase his alcohol budget to $35.

He can find some diamonds in the rough--i.e. not-too-expensive chica companions--during the day, assuming he can speak some Spanish and is willing to walk around Los Charamicos. If not, maybe he should increase this part of his budget by about 500 pesos.

new/re-worked budget = $150 USD per day

sparky11867

Jan 5, 2008
sosua on a budget....

Being the frugal one that I am, I believe there are always ways to cut down on costs, especially while travelling. You don't have to eat out....why not go to the supermercado and get your breakfast and lunch there? It certainly is easier to do that if you stay in a place that has a fridge and/or stove, but you could get by pretty cheap if you just get breakfast bars, yogurt, nuts, fruit, etc. That way there is money left over for excursions, drinking and eating dinner out. We stayed at Perla de Sosua in February. They have fully equipped apartments for cheap and this allowed us to cook our meals at "home" and make our own coffee every morning. Some nights we just bought a six pack of Presidente and sat by the pool instead of splurging on a night out. It was worth it to me to cut back on those things so I could afford scuba diving, excursions, etc. Another way to save money is to take guaguas instead of taxis when you can and try not to eat out at trendy, touristy places. Also, if you snorkel, bring your own snorkel gear if you can as that cuts down on rental costs. My next trip to the DR commences in exactly 4 weeks (yay!), and we are on a shoestring budget. We plan on staying at fully equipped condos or apartments and cooking our own meals at least half of the time. Hopefully our pennies will go far. Good luck to you!

DominicanBilly

Mar 9, 2005
harborviewcondos.4t.com

I think you ask before "how much will it cost to live like a king for a week in the DR". And I said then if you have to ask you don't have enough to live like a king.

The flight will cost you more than $400 I assure you so you won't have even the $850 to spend for the week. If you have to penny pinch you will not have a good holiday.

Take the all-inclusive and relax on the beach. That you can do for the $1625 you have to spend. Lots to eat and drink and you will have $300 to $500 to spend on activities outside the resort.

sammytheman

Sep 18, 2007

30m0hu9.gif

e1e1s8.gif

So $400 for my flight + $175 for hotel + $175 for food + $175 for booze + $350 for romance= $1275

Maybe $300 more for taxi/snorkling/kite surfing. I don't see why it will cost more than that ;(

Status
Not open for further replies.