the drive from Arroyo Hondo to Zona Universitaria?

liam1

Bronze
Jun 9, 2004
i am moving from Sosua to Santo Domingo so my wife can start university and need a place in SD. checked super-casas.com and there seems to be a few nice places in the Arroyo Hondo sector (looking for a nice furnished APT for around 20K-25K monthly) but my concern in the distance. for the people living in SD, is it reasonable for her to drive daily to the university and back, or would it be better to rent something closer (La Esperilla, Gazcue, Bella Vista, Naco...)and pay 6-7K more? thanks.

Bryanell

Bronze
Aug 9, 2005
i am moving from Sosua to Santo Domingo so my wife can start university and need a place in SD. checked super-casas.com and there seems to be a few nice places in the Arroyo Hondo sector (looking for a nice furnished APT for around 20K-25K monthly) but my concern in the distance. for the people living in SD, is it reasonable for her to drive daily to the university and back, or would it be better to rent something closer (La Esperilla, Gazcue, Bella Vista, Naco...)and pay 6-7K more? thanks.

Driving in to town and out from Arroyo Hondo can be pretty time consuming, frustrating and irritating in other ways but it largely depends on where in Arroyo Hondo and at what time of the day. Generally speaking the further out (north) in AH the worse it is. AH Viejo, the area at the back of Departamentos (Ferreteria) Americana is not so troublesome and it's quiet, with fairly easy access to the city centres, areas further out particularly the Altos and Cuestas Hermosas and so on can be a pain in the ..... for commuting.

Basically, anywhere in the city from where you have to cross or use the main laterals, Av. Kennedy, 27 de Febrero as well as the main north-south steets, Lincoln, Churchill, Tiradentes(Alma Mater), Nunes de Caceres is best avoided if getting to the University area is your main concern. Peak time is worst of all, but even off-peak can be a grind.

In the end you have to make your own choice because everyone has their own pet hates and the best way would be to spend some time in the capital, look around at what kind of accommodation is best suited for you, how long you want to sit in the car every day and what else you might need to have in the neighbourhood of your choice. There are nice apartments to rent in all of the areas you mentioned but you have to get off the Internet and into the streets to see what it's really like to live, work, study and commute there.

Check out with Robert at DR1, he's making a study of available rental apartments and the advantages that expats can gain by doing it the right way.

Good luck and don't be put off too easily. SD is a great place with lots to offer as long as you're careful enough to avoid the pitfalls and potholes of life in the big city.

Best,

Bryan

Reactions: bigbird

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
You could look into other middle-class-ish neighbourhoods that are closer to the Zona Universitaria, like El Cacique and other areas going west along Independencia. This would make for a pleasant commute along the Malecon. I would also guess that the Zona Universitaria itself is slightly cheaper than the ones you listed (Gazcue, etc.) and it is a pleasant enough area. Factor in savings on petrol when considering the rents, as the university will be a very short drive away or even walking distance.

In all cases, even in the top neighbourhoods, you need to choose your location carefully, as they all have better and worse (read: noisier) areas.

I used to live in Arroyo Hondo Viejo and had to go to Gazcue a couple of times a week for work. The route I used was JFK-Leopoldo Navarro-Bolivar - there were always long waits to cross 27 on Navarro (the intersection by Caribetours). It usually took 20-30 mins during morning rush-hour.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
An even more important question is why Sto Dgo? there are UASD extensions in POP, Nagua, Stgo and MAo...

What make going to Sto Dgo so important? Certainly not the academic environment at one of the least organized places of higher education.

Obviously can't make it at PUCMM Santiago, or any of the private schools...closer, less costly in the long run...

I go thinking there is something else here...sorry, suspicious mind at work...

HB

liam1

Bronze
Jun 9, 2004
thanks for your replies.

Hillbilly, nothing against POP, but i would not live there by choice. Nagua, i have never been there so don't know how it is. we are still choosing between SD and Santiago, and now we are about 70-30 for SD, mainly for quicker access to the ocean, (Boca Chica) which is important to me. i am not sure what you mean by "Obviously can't make it at PUCMM Santiago". grades-wise she does OK, and money is not an issue. Santiago seems like a nice place to us, the only reason we are leaning toward SD is its proximity the the beach.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Oh come on, you're kidding me right??? Boca Chica>>>???? as preferred over Sosua or Punta Rucia or anything on the North coast???

Have you ever driven across Santo Domingo to that sludge spot on a Sunday morning>>?? Takes over an hour and a half and in an hour and a half you can be in Sosua from Santiago. In an hour and a half + 10 minutes you can be in Punta Rucia...

No way that Santo Domingo can be a beach attraction....

Regarding the PUCMM comment, the university is tough, you produce or you lose. Most kids won't try it, no matter the money.

There is a process of self elimination...everyone knows that you can eventually graduate from the UASD, you just have to put up with all their BS... Don't ever go there needing a bathroom! Bagdad would be cleaner...

HB

thomas901

May 4, 2008
rent something in zona universitaria!

im renting an apartment within walking distance to uasd for 600 a month. high speed internet and utilities included..fully furnished. nice area...nice landlord..nice tenants. people from all over the world are renting here...germany,spain,italy,ireland, US (me). its really the perfect location. theres a nice little market across the street and plenty of malls and big plazas not too much further, 5 minute walk to the malecon, the apt is right at lincoln and corea y cidron(next to dominico americano). you can see it on sublet.com. there are several apartments available. theres also a banco popular right down the street. it has a pretty secure feel to it also. cameras outside, security guards all up and down the street, locked entrance, i love it here.

thomas901

May 4, 2008
another thing

screw gazcue....i was all about gazcue and colonial until i figured out you dont get harassed by tour guides and beggars over here in universitaria...i couldnt walk 5 feet without some guy trying his hardest to drag me into a brothel...those areas arent safe at all for us gringos either....i feel safe even walking around at night here...all the robbers go to gazcue and colonial to look for their victims because thats where they all are....you see a lot more shady characters over there...i havent been approached once over here...cept for some old lady asking for some pesos....one time...ive been here for about 3 months. back in the states i couldnt stop at a gas station without some junkie asking for money. same in gazcue or colonial. another huge thing...the power doesnt go out much over here...when it does its usually only for a few minutes...and even then there's an inversor in all the apts.. if you need any other info email me. thomasmemphis10@yahoo.com